Author Topic: Alaska A State In '58  (Read 5365 times)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Alaska A State In '58
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
Today being a holiday for our Yankee friends, it seems befitting to post this photo found by my daughter in Alaska.  ;D

Look at the lead vehicle as well as its followers.     :D       Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Alaska A State In '58
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
Here is a blown-up section of photo.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:32:54 AM by cuscus47 »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but was the photo taken on the 4th of July 58? If so It looks pretty cold still, everyone is wearing a coat. Are you saying that you are not a Yankie? Cheers, Bob

Jawmedead

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Bob,

Google cuscus and see what shows.

Rob.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:04:40 PM by Jawmedead »

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:58:40 AM »
Hello Bob:  I have no idea when the photo was taken, it evidently was a rally for pro-statehood in 1958 prior to Alaska becoming a state in 1959. My daughter took a photo of a photo in an Alaskan museum.  The weather does look miserable so either spring or autumn probably.  The cars intrigued her rather than the historical significance. Peculiar for an American (sic) parade to have micros in it, especially in Alaska, but then....why not?  I thought it significant to post on America's day of release from the Brits.  And no, I'm not a yankee, a long way away, though I live here.  :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
I thought you may have come from down south as when I visit the relatives in South Carolina all the locals seam to mutter is "Damn Yankies!!"  About the US release from Brit rule, after what they did to our tea supply at Boston we were glad to be rid of them, :D :D :D as if dressing up as Indians would fool anyone. There is only one thing we Brits hold more sacred than tea and thats Tunnocks tea cakes :D :D :D   Seriously, its a grange picture and thanks for posting it.    Bob
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:54:19 PM by Bob Purton »

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »
So getting back to the picture, what is the car in the lead? ???

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
So getting back to the picture, what is the car in the lead? ???

someone else sent me a blown up portion of that image in the past and asked the same question.
I never saw the whole image.
The fact that most of the car is covered up with a banner does not help.

I would have to guess, given the time frame, that it is a King Midget model II or III of some sort with a different body.
At that time one could order a car or parts for the car from the back of such magazines as Popular Mechanics.
There was a niche market for hobbiests that wanted to "build their own car".  The King Midget was one of the more popular kits, but there were a wide variety of home-builts around and this could just be something cobbled together for parade use.
Using small cars in parades is something that is "very American".  The Shriners Clubs across the USA would all have their own flotilla of small vehicles for parade/publicity use only and many of them were much smaller than the Isetta.  There were some Shriners groups that all had Isettas though and it would appear that they used them almost exclusively for these types of events.
There are an unknown quantity of them still stashed away in barns and garages that are part of family history as "grandpa" used to drive it in the parades for years and years and they won't sell it.  Some of them still emerge and are eventually sold.