Author Topic: I suppose most...  (Read 4330 times)

P50

• Prolific Poster
I suppose most...
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:55:59 PM »
of the 8000 KR's that were imported to the UK and the other 70,000 that were built ended up like this.

No wonder they were scrapped.  Horrid example but will fetch strong money 'cos it's a 'Schmitt... 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/messerschmitt-kr200-bubble-car-MOTed_W0QQitemZ300341278465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item45edbc3701&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now I wouldn't decline a Peel like that though.....  hang on I own one!!!!

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Re: I suppose most...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:25:19 PM »
thats a relatively good one!!!
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Scruffy, but a good project, let's see what happens to the price!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »
 This was another of Alan Hitchcock's collection & one of the ones I inspected in his garden on New Years Day. Of all of them this was the one I dearly loved, for its early '80s timewarp factor, so much so I asked Alan about my buying it only to find it was already sold.  :'(    What's wrong with how it looks? THIS is how they are MEANT to look! Never mind all this high-gloss blemish-free perfection fixation everyone else seems to have. & bonus points by the bucket load for that fibreglass dome. A sight so rarely seen today & all the more reason why I wanted this car so! Plus I seem to recall it was actully prity solid when I saw it.

Lets see who tops out five days from now; I think the time has come for me to raid my oft-talked about piggy bank.... 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »
The Design Museum near Tower Bridge has or had a KR 200 and is labeled as a Messerscmitt, but it is in fact a Mivalino, made in Italy under licence, and it has one of those f/g domes, designed to provide some shade from the baking Italian sun. DM's one is/was red with a white dome. The Science Museum has an Isetta and a KR 200 on prominent display, as well as a Morgan Family 3, and the Clocktower Museum in The Home Town Of Nestle UK* has a TROJAN HOORAH!

* Formerly Croydon

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »
Yes Stuart, you should raid your piggy bank. Its not the best state of a car anyway, but you should grab it. Might be one of the last opportunities to purchase one. Good luck mate!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
Yes go for it Stuart, after all, Schmitts are descended from Invalid cars

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
thats a relatively good one!!!

I think you're missing the point.  It's a proper old banger that is rather horrid.  I'm confident over the years much better KR's met their makers.  However it will no doubt achieve strong money.  When people say you could pick them up for a tenner they were probably like this...  

But Stuart I say have a punt because this stuff is not in the current climate getting cheaper. It's time you aquired a usable conventional micro to smoke around in..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:41:39 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »
Funny enough I kind of like those fiberglass tops as well, although I doubt I could actually bring myself to fit one to my schmitt. Stuart , you should go for it but my fear is that if you get it you will drive it once, let the mot expire and it will sit there alongside your minicomtessa for another 40 years. As P50 says you need to keep smoking them! You already belong to the exclusive beer pilferers club :D :D, you could be a real schmitter too!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:41:10 PM by Bob Purton »