Author Topic: BSA Ariel 3  (Read 22266 times)

hotrodjon

• Occasional
BSA Ariel 3
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a Microcar ( too many other projects on the go ) so I have bought a a 'Microtrike' a 1971 BSA Ariel 3 that was last taxed in 1977. I did not realise how small it was untill I put it next to my other trike project. I am looking for a workshop manual and a few bits and pieces if anybody has anything knocking about.

By zodiac10 at 2009-08-29

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
Re: BSA Ariel 3
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:30:05 PM »
Hi. 

Let me have your postal address and I'll send you a copy of the manual, handbook and parts list.  No charge - my Department is very generous with the photocopying and postage budget even if it doesn't always realise...

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
Forgot to say spares are available from:

"Bantam" John Phelan
18 Bowshaw
Dronfield
Sheffield
S18 6GB
Tel: 01246 290021
John likes to be given a part number so the parts list will be useful for this.  Some of his prices are a tad high as some parts for the trike also fit other, more popular, motorcycles.

The tyres are 2 x 12 and were only fitted to the Ariel 3, Raleigh Wisp (got one) and the Clark Scamp (don't want one).  Don't be fobbed off if someone offers you 2 1/2 x 12 saying "They'll fit, mate".  They won't, mate, they'll foul the bodywork at the rear although you might get away with the wider size at the front.  Try Tony Etheridge in Watford 01923 231977.  Leave a message on the answerphone and he always gets back to you.  He can be a bit gruff but knows his stuff when it comes to tyres. 

Before we get picked up for going off microcar topics, have a look at the National Autocycle & Cyclemotor Club's web site www.thebuzzingclub.co.uk - there's a downloadable membership form and a forum for discussion once you've joined.  If you're anywhere near Kent over the weekend of September 26/27 come along to my cyclemotor & moped rally at Headcorn Airfield (TN27 9HX for the SatNav) near Ashford.

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

hotrodjon

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
Hi Nick,
I should check my messages more often. I have just ordered a photocopy set of the workshop manual and parts list, quite cheap. I will take up your offer for a copy of the drivers handbook though as the original one I have is very tatty and there are parts that are illegible.
Thank you for the advice for the tyres, the original ones are unusable as it has stood since 1977. I have bought a new 12 - 2 1/4" tyre which I can use on the front and will check for clearance on the rear before buying any more. My postal address is :
John Wilding
10 Waltondale
Woodside
Telford
Shropshire
TF7 5NQ

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
Dammit Nick! Your event at Headcorn (I love planes too!) would be a dead cert for me, but I have a gig.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:27:31 AM »
Hi Marcus

Headcorn is becoming more of a two-day event as the years roll by.  There will be several of us there on the Saturday - enough perhaps for a scratch ride-out. If you're able to pop by and say hello we'll be happy to get the kettle on.  The main event in Sunday with a run through the lanes (mainly) to a pub lunch and stopping at Brattle Farm for a nose around.  This was one of the popular stops on Jim's road run for the Celebration Weekend.

Regards
Nick D.

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:25 AM »
Hi John

Copy in the post today, hope it helps.  I've had a few of these bikes, each more terrifying to ride than the last it seems.  I rode a couple at the recent National Rally at Sacrewell but found myself wearing those rose-tinted goggles again and wanting another.  Get thee behind me Satan!  My local back-street hairy-arsed (how do I know that?) bikers restored one a few years ago for a lady whose husband had bought it new in the 70s and consigned it to the back of the shed after only 50 miles, pronouncing it dangerous.  She had it restored in his memory - he was probably spinning in his grave at the thought.  Recently it came on the market for £350, at £250 I'd have succumbed to temptation despite my experiences of them.

Regards
Nick D.

hotrodjon

• Occasional
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »
Thanks for that Nick, I am 60 years old and just coming into my second childhood. I run a 1977 american AMC Hornet straight 6 engined car every day. I have never had 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle in my life. I have always been into Hotrods / American / Classic / Custom cars. I am half way through building a Trike using a Rover 100 'K' series 1400cc engine and auto box and more recently bought the Ariel 3. I guess I may need to buy some brown trousers then from what I here about the Ariel 3.

hotrodjon

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
Hi Nick,
thank you very much for the photocopy reprints, they will come in very usefull. My Ariel 3 needs most of the control cables replacing and setting up for a start. I am preparing the panels for respray first of all, then I will investigate the mechanical side of things while the paintwork has a couple of weeks to harden off.

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 10:33:35 PM »
Hi John

Glad you received the manuals and hope they help.

You won't need to invest in any brown trousers - the handling characteristics of the Ariel 3 will bring brownness to a saddle near you!
My advice would be to buy a pair of bicycle clips...

Regards
Nick D.

hotrodjon

• Occasional
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »
I have been busy today, I had stripped most of the 'bodywork' off so flatted off the main frame today and have started applying the red oxide primer. I am lucky as there is no accident damage to deal with and only small areas needing minor atttention i.e scratches and light rust marks.

By zodiac10, shot with FinePix A510 at 2009-09-09

Rorrry

• Just Starting
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »
Hi people. I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping you can help me...

I'm really interested in picking up an Ariel. I know... I know but your talking to the man that prefers the Mini Clubman (NOT the BMW piece of S#!T either) to the original! and I've been offered one locally for a steal however its missing the engine cover and fuel tank. Can anyone point me in the right direction or am i looking at getting them remanifactured???

Cheers in advance

Ryan

P.S. Hotrodjon I would be really interested in seeing more of the refurbing pics if you still have them???

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
always a few ariel 3s on ebay,just get a wreck for bits.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
John Phelan, a name from the passed. I bought him out of Bubblecar stuff years ago. Girt box of Siba parts for one, including lots of Berkeley/Villiers mirror image points that you cannot find - well not then.

Used to take Ariel Three's to Germany and Holland. Once they got over the thought that they were broken in half the Denfeld saddle was enough to swing the deal and I did rather well out of them for a while. Now they are just about fetching what I used to sell them for twenty years ago! I would not mind getting a good one for the collection as they did me well and are an interesting machine.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

mopedmalc

• Just Starting
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »
In case anyone is still looking Classic Moped Spares have BSA Ariel Three Tyres available now at very competitive prices around £10 - £15 per tire!

http://www.classicmopedspares.com/BSA-Ariel-Three-3-Wheel-Moped-Tyre?filter_name=2.125
http://www.classicmopedspares.com/BSA-Ariel-Three-3-Wheel-Moped-Tyre?filter_name=2.125