Author Topic: Villiers 11e - what carb?  (Read 2708 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
Villiers 11e - what carb?
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:55:46 AM »
Iv been away for a while, out of the country (hunting for old Soviet cars and parts in the furthest reaches of the ex-soviet union, where other enthusiasts havnt got yet), etc, but im back.

Now that NJT598 is very near completion, with only refitting the shell and then fitting/finishing left to do, and all the major restoration finished, iv turned my attention back to the engine, and it raised a question iv ignored for a while: the carb.

The original carb was a Villiers slide-throttle unit, which after some discussion with other people, i believe to be a cheap-and-nasty Villiers copy of an Amal carb (which itself was not brilliant anyway).

The original carb died when an angle grinder caught the throttle cable. It proceeded to rip the throttle out, thereby shattering the carb body, hit me several times with the throttle and then i dropped the grinder so it stopped.

So, im not too sure about this, but from what i herd, the addition of a more advanced carb is the single best thing you can do to a 11e/9e engine. Apparently the original carbs, being cheap and nasty copies by Villiers, really were absolutely dire, and limited the engine terribly.

Is this true?

So, what carb do i put on this? People said that there is a dell that fits 11e engines and runs them very nicely. Also someone said that a small Nikki would do. Or another...but i cant remember.

Now, i doubt somehow that this car is destined for the strip, so im not going to be chopping the suspension springs, porting/polishing the engine and sticking a weber 45 on it, but from what i understand, the Villiers carbs were so bad that another carb, for the small price of slight un-originality, would make the car infinitely more drivable.

Or perhaps the Amal carb that this was a copy of?

Or should i just look for another Villiers carb, as standard?

Any ideas anyone? since i have never had anything to do with Villiers engines myself, i dont actually know.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Villiers 11e - what carb?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Hi adi .I dont know who you have been talking to but nothing could be further from the truth! Your car would have had a villiers S25 carb that is one of the best, most reliable carbs on the block and is nothing like the amals that I have come across. It has a donut shaped float and the main jet feeds through the center hole. The best thing to do is get another S25. In fact, when I restored my first Inter, the original carb was just not availible and the substitute carb of my choice was the villiers S25 because I knew it wouldnt let me down!

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »
Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying.

Any idea where i can get another one of these carbs? Mine is totalled.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:26:26 PM »
Adi. I think I have a spare but it will need a thorough clean, I will look and email you.   Bob

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »
Found it, I have sent you an email,   Bob