Author Topic: scootacar mk2 value .  (Read 7249 times)

dartline

• Just Starting
scootacar mk2 value .
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
hi guys . i have been offered a mk2 scootacar in good original condition but needing restoration . what sort of values do they tend to go for as ive been told to make an offer .what sort of price will be acheived if it was restored and how many where made .ive just sold my mini and looking to buy something more unusall .
many thanks

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: scootacar mk2 value .
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:34:37 AM »
so, you want to know how much it is worth in whatever condition it is without any photos to show the condition and then you want to know how much it will be worth when "restored" so you can determine if it is worth your time to buy it, "fix it up" and sell it for a profit?

correct me if I got that wrong.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »
Oh dear it's the old how much is it worth topic again! Other than for insurance, obviously the idea is not to spend more than the car is worth as in the sum of it’s parts. Technically it’s one up from a scooter, so base value on how much you think it’s worth saving.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
Thats a little harsh Jim. :-*

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »
 :-*

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Thats a little harsh Jim. :-*

...but so true though....   ;)

dartline

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
so, you want to know how much it is worth in whatever condition it is without any photos to show the condition and then you want to know how much it will be worth when "restored" so you can determine if it is worth your time to buy it, "fix it up" and sell it for a profit?

correct me if I got that wrong.

no im not in it for the profit .i tend to keep my cars but have sold a mini recently as  was offered a good price and was offered this and was trying to gauge what sort of value to offer  .obviously like you and everyone else i dont want to pay more than its worth . no photos as yet but according to the owner its completly original ,runs and drives with original interior . to me it looks like it just wants respraying .

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
so you want to know what to offer for the car.  fine, fair question I guess.

"what sort of price will be acheived if it was restored" is completely irrelevant if you intend to keep the car for any length of time.

Since these cars exist in very low numbers and trade hands privately (usually) there are not really any public records of sales to refer to.
How is anyone supposed to know the value of the car in it's current condition 2-10 years from now, never mind one that has been simply repainted?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »
Hi Dartline. I understand that its helpful to know what a car is worth once restored so as to assess if its worth spending good money on should you need to sell it in the future. Your best bet is to have a chat with Steven Boyde of the Scootacar register http://www.scootacar.btinternet.co.uk/ftp.btinternet.com/current.htm

He publishes guidance prices in the magazine he puts out. You may have to join to get the information though. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:14:27 PM by Bob Purton »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
I heard at the national (Ripon) that a Mk1 which is arguably more attractive (less ugly?) and desirable is worth top KR200 money. i.e. properly restored.  Forget that Scootacars were 5 and 10 pounds in the 70's. Those days are long long gone.  It's a global market..  Plus a correct Mk1 with all the right bits is a damn sight harder to do. You can build 50% of a KR from new MOC bits.  Scootacars have unique fittings etc.

On the basis that they're much rarer I don't see why they're not as indicated above cost wise.     Harder to own, drive and in no way as usable as a KR.  But that matters not.  They're superb cars.  In my view a quasi usable Trident style wise.  I use mine and it's a noisy,agricultural old bastard. But strangly endearing. Oh and it stops. (it pulls left and right but it stops..!)   

I welcome your thoughts..
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
For me part of the appeal of micros is the strangeness of some of the designs, minimal motoring with eccentric looks. However I also like to be driving something that the general public will be drawn to aesthetically as well as by curiosity, so I would always be less inclined to go for a Scootacar whatever its merits may be, and I think a lot of people do feel vaguely similarly.

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »
Of course if you own a scootacar you are obliged to talk up the value Perry!  ;) ;). Scootacar prices in line with Kr200s? What have you been drinking! :D :D :D  I admit they have been a little under valued for some time but have caught up a little in recent years. The old myth about rarity equals value raises its head, it aint nessecarily so, remember that Astra van? Very rare but no one wanted it for 3K. I think a Scootacar is still a microcar that if restores properly you could spend more money on than the car would be worth finished. Now Inter Torpedo's on the other hand must be worth at least half a million! Now you'v got ME doing it! :D :D :D

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »
Funnily enough, I too heard a rumor that Scootacar values were on the increase, though more like half a KR for a concurs model. Dam it! I always regret not acquiring 3 I was offered 5 years ago! I love the looks, especially those of the Mk2 but not the ride! I prefer the Frisky because you're seated a lot lower, though the noise is probably worse!  ???

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »
Hi Blob, you can bet your bottom dollar that the rumour was starter by an ownerl! I agree, a concours example could make 5K if marketed right. I think the last ebay Mk2 made about 3?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
I prefer the Frisky because you're seated a lot lower, though the noise is probably worse!  ???

Probably less noisy than a Velorex!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face