Author Topic: Kens "World event"  (Read 49287 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Kens "World event"
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:08 AM »
Hi. Is anyone thinking of going to Kens "World" event in Chicago next year? I'm thinking about it depending on the spondulics situation.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Kens "World event"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
Dear Bob

I am considering going to Kens World event after meeting him at Madison this summer. It would be good to travel out with, or meet up with a few friendly faces and a few going together could save money on car hire (one between 2-4 people). I am happy to do the driving as I have driven about the states on various occassions and have no problems with their roads etc. I have also driven through the centre of Chicago on a few occassions.

If we went together we could dress up and Laural and Hardy for a laugh.

Chris Thomas

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »
 I'm doing it. I'm going out for most of the month of August & Staying with Ian Hellings in his hometown of Momence, roughly 100 miles south of Chicago. Going out early in order to take in the Momence Gladolus Fastival at the begining of the month which Ian always parades a lot of cars in, and then()hopefully) taking in a lot of the sights of the mid west, such as the Studerbaker museum, Bruce Winer's place (of course) and Ian's own place, stuffed to the rafters of intrestingments. Then at the end of the month comes the big one. Ian and me have "plans" for it as to the vehicles we take, maybe leading on from the Glad Fest, but its a case of "watch this space". Ken is keen & that's all the encoragement we need...  Maybe any rumsters heading out could all set up bace camp at Ian's place & give us a hand to get some vehicles up there? What do you reckon Ian? How many tents can you get on your lawn?  ;D Never know, Ian might even lend a show car to each of us....  ;D   

Elsewhere, I know Andy Carter is thinking of going. If there's a whole gang of us out there, maby we could all charter the same plane to come home on. Or something. RUM Jolly Boys Outing anyone?....

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
Stuart - Bruce Weiner's place is about a 13 hour drive SouthEast of Ian's  (maybe 12 hours), so bear that in mind before you decide one day to just pop over there.
However, you will pass the Lane Motor Museum on the way in Nashville Tennessee, might as well drop in there as well. (that one is only about 7-8 hour drive....)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Yes but who would be Laurel and who Hardy?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
I'm toying with attending.

Don't want to travel on my own though so if there's going to be a party of bubble types I'll certainly consider it..
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
Dear Bob

If you think it is a good idea I will let you choose between Laural or Hardy.

However if Stuart goes as well perhaps we should be the three Microteers, Armless Airloss and Portly, or Arola, Aixam and Poirier.

If four of us go we could be the "Four Horse Power of the Avolette" Coronet, Willam, Frisky and Daihatsu.

This is getting silly, the Americans will never get the joke. (sorry Jim)

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:20:56 PM »
Your right, it is getting silly! Just the news that "The British are coming" will be enough to put the fear of God into the colonials! They will think we are going to have another crack at em for King George! :D :D   Changing the subject I see on Kens add that he describes microcars as being underpowered :-\  I would say that most of them are adequately powered for what they are, I suppose compared to putting a lorry engine in a car as the yanks do they would come to that conclusion. What do the other think, are mocrocars underpowered? {not including peels!}

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »
For those that are interested.  The Momence 73rd Annual Gladiolus Festival is from Wednesday 11th of August 2010 to Sunday 15th August 2010.  There is parade of old cars in which I participate (usually I have a dozen or so, depending on drivers) about 5pm on the Friday.  This is followed by a large float and band parade (this year lasted 2 hours).  There is a carnival in town on all nights, or dances and camaraderie.  On the Saturday all day is a large car show on Island Park and swap meet. On Sat morn there is also a 5k/10k run along the shores of the Kankakee River, for those athletic to participate, or I can assign volunteer jobs to help with it.  On the Sunday there is a large tractor show .  The main parade is always 3:00pm on the Saturday. 

If any one is thinking about coming early for this festival or the time between it and Ken's, if I know about how many I can find beds if people don't mind all staying together in some apartments that I will keep vacant for that purpose in August. Kitchens there as well as baths, showers, toilets, you buy the food.  If anyone wants to drive in the old car parade I have enough vehicles to supply any amount.  Ken's meet is the following Sat 21 and Sun 22, then for any further interest there is a great Orphan Car picnic the next Sunday (29) about sixty miles away.

Momence is a little country town (3,000 persons) about seventy miles south of Chicago.

Ian. :)
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
ps:  it takes about two and a half hours to Ken's from here in a normal ( ;D) car, longer or even days in an IC.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »
Thanks for all those details Ian. I personally cannot afford to be away from work that long but the offer is much appreciated. I'm sure others will take up the offer. Cheers, Bob

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 08:58:43 PM »
Hello Bob:  I did not mean to imply that all these dates should be visited, however that these are the dates of various events, apart from The Studebaker Museum, the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum and many others.  For example, there are, I believe, three Tuckers within a few hundred miles of here.  Even if you come to Ken's and have a day free before or after, and wish to see corn fields, you are more than welcome.   

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
Hi Ian. I get your drift. Its a long way to go for one event so something either side of it would make sense. Forgive my ignorance but what are "Tuckers"?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
... Forgive my ignorance but what are "Tuckers"?

American version of Tunnocks

people drool over them but they are not edible

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »
It's a shame that there is not the ability to talk on the forum, but yanks would say TUUUUCKERRRR, and you Pommies say TOOOOKA.   Anyway, it was a car built in Chicago in 1948, rarer than hen's teeth, and completely before its time.  The big three (or 4 or 5 then) US manufacturers completely mucked up the company by forcing bankrupcy and it made only 51.  It was built by Preston Tucker, there's even a movie about it.  A Man and His Dream.  No micro for sure, but a beautiful vehicle.