Author Topic: Kens "World event"  (Read 49690 times)

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
Re: Kens "World event"
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 12:46:21 AM »
I just sent my registration fee.  Two thousand miles each way pulling a trailer behind an MG-- what could go wrong?

Mike Harrell
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:05:13 AM »
Ah I see.  Looking at the front of it I can see an Inter, pointy in the middle and central headlight, there the simalarity ends! Thanks for educating my Ian. Like the white walls.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »
If you're looking for a fifth, I'd be up for a trip to the US.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 12:32:17 PM »
 Right then folks, The World Meet is only about 12 weeks away now. Now is the time to find out just who is going, or at least who intends to. Most of this topic outlines what is possible & what )& who  ;) ) is in the area.    I am flying out on Tuesday 10th August & staying with Ian Hellings. My return date is Tuesday 31st August, thus giving me time to get the Bamby to the National.   Andy & Rory Carter have confirmed they will be there, from Monday 23rd to Monday 30th.  There must be more than three Brits going out there!  Who else?  Ian is itching to show off his collection to the resulting coach party.....    ;D

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
Dear Stuart

In January I costed out the trip to Crystal Lake and came to the conclusion that my finances could not stretch that far (unless I won the lottery). I may try and get down to the French Rally in Bourgundy if work slackens off in August. So unfortunately please count me out.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »
Stuart - Bruce Weiner's place is about a 13 hour drive SouthEast of Ian's  (maybe 12 hours), so bear that in mind before you decide one day to just pop over there.
However, you will pass the Lane Motor Museum on the way in Nashville Tennessee, might as well drop in there as well. (that one is only about 7-8 hour drive....)

No worries, the Comtesse is fueled and ready on the tarmac, the flight plan booked in and authorities on alert. Smoke him a kipper as he will be back for breakfast.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »
 Changing the subject I see on Kens add that he describes microcars as being underpowered :-\  I would say that most of them are adequately powered for what they are, I suppose compared to putting a lorry engine in a car as the yanks do they would come to that conclusion. What do the other think, are mocrocars underpowered? {not including peels!}

Microcars are not underpowered as such, the infrastructure, road management and what is socially acceptable has moved on. The question is much like asking if hats are something men should wear. To answer the question in the context of the statement therefore the answer is, yes, most microcars are underpowered. However the answer tells you more about today's lifestyle than about microcars since we are getting to the situation were traffic as moving slower and space on the roads is at a premium in many urban areas. What use then a powerful complex heavy car? Yet we continue this drift to inappropriate vehicle selection for the needs of fashion while pretending that some of these choices are green or carbon friendly. I think it is the intelligence of the average person that is underpowered as clearly this is total nonesense. Microcars should be present in a modified form but they are not.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »
Would have loved to have taken a long visit, possibly having sorted a suitable macro micro and toured to a few events via some interesting collections but sadly it is very much the wrong year for me. I think a few peeps have been sidelined by economic factors too. A shame as it sounds like quite an adventure.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
 And so with less than 72 hours to go before I jet off into the wide Blue Yonder Chicago-bound, I am struck by the almost total lack of intrest of most people for any micro event this yesr.  Bath Rally was ran into the ground by the covert dealers, Even Jean's Open Day seems to have aroused very little enthusisam from even those who were there as the lack of pages & pages after the facts on this forum seems to suggest that very few really care any more. 

I was pondering the possibility of setting up a running forum log on the English presence at the World Micro Meet for the duration of my three weeks over there, but for all the enthusisaum I've seen this year, I do wonder if I'll be wasting my time. Yes or No?

If this is realy the current state of the micro world this year, then all I can say is God help the National in September....

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
you are a bit early, are you staying with Ian?
I hope you are making a nice adventure of it no matter what.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »

I was pondering the possibility of setting up a running forum log on the English presence at the World Micro Meet for the duration of my three weeks over there, but for all the enthusisaum I've seen this year, I do wonder if I'll be wasting my time. Yes or No?

Could be interesting. I think that the cost of attending means there will be many armchairs occuplied by folk who would have liked to be at the event. The diary of the trip could make the basis of publishable item.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »
  Bath Rally was ran into the ground by the covert dealers,................
  there as the lack of pages & pages after the facts on this forum seems to suggest that very few really care any more. 

If this is realy the current state of the micro world this year, then all I can say is God help the National in September....

We can always inspect, discuss and line up all of the minimalist fans campervans present over the weekend? I think the answer is in the question.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »
Dear Stuart

Have fun in the USA and I wish I could have been there with you this year, but the lottery has refused to choose my numbers.

Regarding attendance at events in general. It does all come down to money. After deciding I could not afford the Crystal Springs trip, I looked into driving down to the French Microcar event in Burgundy and that was going to cost between £5-600 for just four days, which unfortuntately this year is out of the question. This means that I will ty and get to the National, provided she who must be obeyed has not committed me to go in the opposite direction.

Have fun and keep the Union Jack flying. Remember me to Ken.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
It looks like we are all waiting for Malvern then! I would have loved to have gone to Burgundy or Chicago but there is a recession on and as a result many are feeling the pinch so it should come as no surprise that rallies are not so strong this year. The wealthy like Stuart are unaffected ;) I hope we will see the pictures though.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »
For me it is simply down to the fact that Time and Money refuse to co-operate: when I have one I do not have the other!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face