Author Topic: Kens "World event"  (Read 49285 times)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Kens "World event"More photos
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2010, 04:23:21 PM »

AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
Re: Kens "World event"
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »
...the domination of the collector over the enthusiast....

Of the hundreds of people who brought cars, only about half a dozen of us took part in giving rides to the public.  True, that event was postponed from Saturday to Sunday which meant that many entrants had already gone home (!) and of course there was the strict requirement of current registration and insurance for any participating vehicle, but a few more would have been nice.  We had steady business in short trips around the main parking lot for about an hour and a half.  The driving even cured whatever had been ailing the KV at the start of the event (the CVT stubbornly remained in low range at first) and it was a lot of fun.

As for the trip home, we got back to Shoreline yesterday (Thursday) afternoon.  The Metro's rate of oil consumption fell to about a quart every 200 miles but it is now burning most of it instead of emitting it raw, so I'm taking this as a sign of further deterioration.  After 28 years and 62,000 miles I suppose a rebuild is in order anyway.  On the way back it developed a leak in the hydraulic clutch, too, but this turned out to be a loose fitting instead of a bad cylinder which meant the repair was both possible and simple.  Huh.  In total we covered 4200 miles without serious mishap in what was described by someone in South Dakota as "a Yugo towing a refrigerator," so all is well.

An anonymous party has asked me to chide any UK resident who claims the distances to British meets are 'too far' so please consider yourselves chidden and go!
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Kens "World event" The mascot
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 03:54:48 AM »
Ken worked hard on this........

AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
Indeed chidden, I am guilty myself not wishing to go much more than 40 miles from home these last few years. All the usual excuses, cost, hassle, traffic and such. It is the enthusiasm and anticipation of a great event that breaks down this reluctance and I am suffering a lack of motivation though I have business crap to sort out which takes my concentration of the topic. There is always next year when hopefully I will be free to do what I want.

Glad the A series lived up to its reputation of burning oil to get home! It deserves a reward. They are not perfect but I always found they were willing to limp home rather than expiring like some cars I can think of.

Nice picture of Micro world domination, you know it makes sense.

Stop Press - Isetta replaces Atlas as part of the economic savings plan of the West. The Titan Union are threatening industrial action. Scientists predict increased chance of axis shift of the Earth due to more unstable forces due to cuts in string theory. Nasty smell of petroleum in the Antarctic. Terry Pratchett's publisher to sue Ken Weger over Isetta/Elephants on Turtle plagiarism case.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
al what are you on ?  ;D are you on prescription medicines or have you bought something off a guy in the street ? have read todays epistles and understand even less than usual  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:09 AM »
 :D  I got most of it!  The only reference that whizzed past me was the Titan Union.    :-\

Does no one read books or look at maps and globes any more?

nasty smell in the Antarctic - *snort*
I also like how you managed to fit String Theory in there too

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »
Sorry, left braining again. I used to have friends who did drugs and lost more of them than I like to remember to that and Motorcycles. Even then it was said I needed no drugs as I was on a different planet. Suits me. Interestingly if I take amphetamines I become an IQ genius as it makes my dyslexic brain work together. I was part of one of the early studies done on dyslexia in Oxford University/Churchill Hospital. In theory I could do a degree course and wing the exams on dope! However having been exposed to regular use of amphetamines the side effects are not pleasent so I will remain as I am, not a genius.

Atlas was a Titan doomed to support the world according to the Greeks.

Anyway great pics. I look forward to hearing Root's first hand account of the event.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »
For once I also deciphered Al's news headlines, particularly fascinated by ancient earth support theories, amazingly ancient biblical oriental longsufferer Job gets it right first time recognising the earth "hangs upon nothing". I do like the elephants on backs of turtles swimming in cosmic sea theory but doesn't explain whats holding up the cosmic sea!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
OMG  ???  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: Kens "World event" Some more from Ken's...
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
Oh, no, I missed the Eshelman!  So much to see....
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
Oh, no, I missed the Eshelman!  So much to see....

I don't think it came out of the back of that pickup.  that is the only place I saw it.
There was a nicer one like that (golf cart version with huge grille) in 2006 and it was red and looked really odd but still very attractive.
I will see if I can dig up a pic.
Eshelmans were not well represented at this meet.   :-\

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »
The New York Times has a nice article with video on the meet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/automobiles/collectibles/05microcar.html?src=me

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »
For those of you not at the National, here is a link to Ken's website with links to Thousands of World Meet photos. 

http://www.worldmeet2010.com/

Fun browsing.....

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »
For truly minimal motoring (well, it's minimal and has a motor...), it turns out there was a Hop Rod at the meet!  I didn't see it.

Sorry about the rotated image.  Here's a closer view of the drivetrain:

And, of course, everything you might want to know about care and feeding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fTQIusNcks