Author Topic: Kens "World event"  (Read 49277 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Kens "World event"
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
I have friend who has one of these gas powered pogo sticks.  So far he has not been able to find anyone willing to try riding it.  And that includes myself as it has already proved to be  dangerous enough just trying to jump around on it with the engine off and the spring suppling all the motive force.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
I remember these being on TV. Tomorrows World? Did not someone create a pair of ten league boots along a similar principle? I think I prefer the Shark's self propelled surfboard but this stuff has to be collected as it is barking.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
I finally got around to posting some photos that my father and I took at the meet, following standard web practices of including nearly everything, making no captions whatsoever, and keeping such informative file names as "DSCN8007."  Nevertheless the result may provide more insight than desired into our viewing habits:

http://www.microcar.org/gallery/v/worldmeet/WorldMeet2010/

This also contains a subfolder featuring the microcars we encountered in the Pioneer Auto Museum (Murdo, South Dakota) on our way to Illinois.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2010, 12:49:29 AM »
 Nice pics there Mike. _ I might be tempted to borrow a couple here & there for the next Conveyancer if I may?  :)  Do I also detect a fancing for the Arola within your photos?  ;D  :-*

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »
Please help yourself to any or all.  I can provide higher-resolution versions if you like.  I believe the Arola shots must have been my father's work; those French voiturettes aren't really my thing....
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 09:01:51 AM »
Whats the vehicle DSCN8067 with the single front wheel? Dont think I've seen one before.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »
Bob:  It's a Marketeer from Longbeach.  Originally 24 volt electric but this one has been converted to a Briggs and Stratton petrol engine.  Circa  1950 (late) - 1960's.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Thanks. I hope it goes faster than my Briggs and Straton lawn mower! :)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
 :D   Depends on how fast you can push.... ;D

I think that it is a chap in Chicago that owns it.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
it goes a LOT faster than a lawn mower!  Steve Gotts is the guy that found it in an Antique shop  ???
 and decided he had to have it but ditched the electrics and put his own stuff in there.
I think the current drivetrain is a Vanguard 15hp motor that is the same as a King Midget.
He keeps tinkering with it and drives it regularly but most importantly he has been dragging around the country to Microcar Meets and having a blast.

While some people may have an issue with him altering the drivetrain, he enjoys his car and also enjoys other people's cars and takes the opportunity to get rides in as many other microcars as possible.

He was really bummed that he missed the National King Midget meet (jamboree).  He has this thing about exhaust sounds and had heard a King Midget that had the exhaust sound he really really wanted and was hoping to find that car again and talk with the owner and see what he had done to get that sonic experience.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
I confess to quite liking it. An electric drive train was never going to be of any use to a guy who has a thing about exhaust tones! Good for him!

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »
Meet coverage in the December 2010 issue of Road & Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/column/small-is-mostly-beautiful

There was also a nice article in the 7 October issue of Old Cars Weekly but it doesn't seem to be available on their website.