Author Topic: mystery switch  (Read 2123 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
mystery switch
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:10:38 PM »
Thers a switch on the left side of the dash board of my Scootacar. It looks like a real old 1930s switch, kind of a smaller version of an old style light switch, i think they were used in very old cars.

Basically, like one of these

On wire goes to an earth tab on the speedo. The other wire is completely missing.

I have no idea what it controlled, i dont think there IS anything it could possibly control. When i first got the scootacar, its electrics were intact all be it slightly burnt, and i couldn't find a purpose for that switch!

Is it a standard item, or a later add on? Anyone know what it could have been for? I tried to think of what things could be fitted to a scootacar, then removed again without leaving any traces. A radio maybe? But surely that would have its own switch. Windscreen washer? That would leave a hole somewhere. Hazards? That would mean the indicator wiring would be disturbed, and looking at it it hasnt been for years. Maybe it was a switch for the windscreen wipers, maybe the old owner (who wasnt that tall) found it difficult or annoying to reach up and turn the wipers on manually?

And the switch obviously earthed something, which may be another clue.

Any ideas?

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Re: mystery switch
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »
definately not an original item. Maybe it was for an interior light added and mounted somewhere?
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: mystery switch
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »
Check the floor of your Scootacar. That switch is for the light in the cellar!

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it certainly looks like an unnecessary later addition. Loose it. Or build an attic on the roof of your car so you can use the switch for the stair light. Sorry, done it again. I'll get me coat!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face