Author Topic: Peel P50 for sale!  (Read 55753 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Peel P50 for sale!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
What utter tosh and hypocrisy - I get the impression you will only believe what you want to believe regardless -  are you really asking for  receipts and  bank statements submitted in triplicate as proof of microcar prices paid?

no, don't put words in my mouth.
but something more than pub gossip would be a good start.

You said "The part about having a previous offer of £40,000 is the myth as far as I am concerned." if thats not speculation on your side what is it?

???
I am not the one "speculating".  I think you have something wrong here in the translation.
The alleged SELLER of the Peel P50 in question is the one that "claimed" to have already had an offer of £40,000 and turned it down.
I have no way to verify if this is true or not.
I already explained why previously.

"Wasn't Bruce asking 200,000 US$ for a yellow one last year". was a question which you refuse to answer.

oh, sorry I can answer that: No, Bruce was not asking $200,000 for a yellow one last year.
how's that?

No problem with that - just don't be suprised  if others  keep their dealings private.

I have no problem with people keeping their dealings private.
I do have a problem when people claim prices/offers etc that they cannot verify.

I had to write a whole article on the Peel Trident that was on eBay for £35,000 that did not sell.  People saw the final price and just assumed the car sold for that amount when in fact it did not.
There was also a Peel P50 on UK eBay a few years ago and I was the high bidder at about £13,000 if I recall.  The auction was "no reserve" so whoever was the high bidder would get the vehicle.
At the last moment another bidder came in and outbid me.
I am 99% certain that the high bidder was the seller using another eBay account because he wanted to ensure the vehicle did not sell for too cheap a price.
Oddly enough the seller had the EXACT same car for sale later privately for about £20,000 so I am fairly certain the car never sold in that eBay listing in the first place. (Unless the seller -who shall remain anonymous here - can provide me with a better explanation)

I considered it unreasonable to be asked to pay a $1000 (£600) deposit just to find the asking price of a car.

You really missed my point when I explained this earlier didn't you?

Jawmedead

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
Hi Guys, Just been clearing out my loft and found some 35mm slides of my two Peel P50s amongst 29 pictures of some of the other micros I had in 1976. MHX 90C was sold for £250 and EME 583B, the Top Gear/ youtube car sold for £40.
Sorry about the quality. Photographed them through my viewer.

Just found that if you click onto the little green sign next to the word PEELS 1976 under the pics it comes up full size.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:32:18 PM by Jawmedead »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
you can also just click the photo and it will load in at full size as well.
click the giant photo again and it will go back down to smaller size.

£250!
for a Peel!   outrageous!
who would pay such a price?   ;D

Jawmedead

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »
£250!
for a Peel!   outrageous!
who would pay such a price?   ;D

The same person who paid over £600 for a restored, on the road Tourette. Not a bad price for 1976!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:38:17 PM by Jawmedead »

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:30 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:05:47 AM by Trident »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Speculation again - completely wrong again.

You seem quite desperate to discredit me for some reason but you are doing a terrible job of it.

update:  I seem to have really struck a nerve with you on that particular point about the P50 on eBay.
You say I am "completely wrong" so it would seem you have some special insight into that which no one else has?
Are you claiming perhaps to be either the original Seller or the purported Buyer?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:37:57 PM by JimJanecek »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »
 Peels (talk of) + Money (talk of) = Disharmony.   I'm off out to play with my Mini-Comtesse (£900), Argson (£100) & Wrigley (£10). They cost me 100 times less in total than one of the sums mentioned prior, but they give me 100 times more the pleasure for at least I can make the merest mention of them without two or three pages within hours of nothing but sniping, accusations, back-biting and plain nastyness.   Who thus has the better world? They in their rich cheque-book glass house, or I in my pennyless-pit?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:29:16 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »
100 times more pleasure Stuart?

I obviously get more pleasure from my KR than any Peel as it is actually usable. However I've yet to arrive at a car show in my Trident. I suspect it will steal the show when I do.  Aston,Ferraris present whatever.

So whilst less used to mean less it appears to have become more and the rest of the world has caught up.

Peels, TG's etc will continue to rise because they have that defineable quality called desire coupled with relative rarity. We're talking pennies realistically compared to established heavyweight machines.

I think we can now accept that these things aren't cheap.  What's cheap?!  Something you can easily afford!  

Oh for a crystal ball!    
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:43:15 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
Right then folks, this should put the cat firmly back amidst the pigeons, as Alan Hitchcock has asked me to post a reply about this particular Peel on his behalf. His responce is as follows...

Hi Stuart

I have just been directed by my buddy to look at the RUMcar forum as they are arguing about his Peel 50. I read the thread with some amusement as it just encapsulates all the reasons why forums do not work. We have secret identities of vested interests against bigots against the ill informed drowning out the reasonable enthusiast in a meaningless argument about something none of them know much about, hence the off piste trip into Tigers in attempt to gain standing depth in deep waters.

The facts - I was asked to market a Peel 50 to a few collectors I know, no, not telling as I do not want some of the idiots on the forum hassling them, its my and their business alone. Clearly one has sought advice as the news has filtered out, up to them. The only offer that came back converted to a little more than £40,000 as this fellow already has a Trident - and yes it is a real one before that kicks off and no I am not telling how much it cost him, it's private. Clearly he should have a pair but he believes he can argue he has one already.... This was not the selling price that my chum wished to accept so it was politely rejected and we await a higher offer from where ever. If it is not forthcoming then the car stays where it is. This is called a sellers market and anyone else's opinion of the value is somewhat irrelevant at this time, though it would be silly to not expect speculation. This may change of course but for the moment interested buyers may contact me with their offers on behalf of my chum, since this is what he asked me to do.

No doubt everyone can now speculate on which Peel 50 is for sale and which Trident is where. Hours of fun for those without a life, unless of course - oh goodness - its business, say it's not so! I am not sure of what reception a direct approach will receive as there will be a reason why I was asked to act. However if you want to risk the owner's ire you can, by all means, contact him instead of myself. Just do not be upset if you take yourself out of the running. I remain on my email alanbubblecars@hotmail.com for serious enquiries.

I am not a member of this or any other forum as I really do not want to deal with the ignorance and rude, bullying behaviour of some of the members of most I have visited. If you would post this reply then you can enjoy the ripples. All it reinforces to me is the deathnell of any realistic harmonious hobby collecting rare microcars and I am pleased I sold mine off to the highest bidder. I prefer owning half of Bristol and the income it brings. I will continue my private collection on my own terms so I can enjoy it without interference of the thought police. Clearly your not far off feeling the same judging by your comments on the thread.

Big Al

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »
thanks for the update from a person that is
A:  actually involved with the vehicle in question

B: is not anonymous!

Transparency always helps to clear up a number of things.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
So I think we've established it's a sellers market....

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
I guess so Perry. It was good to hear from Alan, despite the fact that forums don't work and we are all bigoted idiots he couldn't resist joining in!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
It seems vehicles that have had replicas made of them appear to rocket in price, is this because the cost to reproduce a car is so great it justifies doubling or even tripling the value of a genuine one?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
It seems vehicles that have had replicas made of them appear to rocket in price, is this because the cost to reproduce a car is so great it justifies doubling or even tripling the value of a genuine one?

Now THAT is an interesting observation.  Chicken or Egg?

My opinion (speculating again...  ::) ) is that the replicas don't necessarily cause the prices of the genuine vehicles to rise directly, but if there is enough demand in relation to supply and the vehicle can be replicated for a cost-effective price, then replicas will be made and sold.  As the price of a genuine vehicle continues to rise while supply remains relatively non-existent , the attraction of a replica goes up and so do sales of it.   As more replicas are out and about, this may increase interest in obtaining a "genuine" one for some people.  And of course this causes the price to continue to rise.
Ripley's obviously saw the amount of publicity generated by their replica Peels and decided to make a fleet of them.  Plus the "World's Smallest" title does not hurt.

Also- once a replica is available, I think that the "value" of a "genuine" item is elevated simply because it causes people to ask why not obtain a "genuine" item instead of a replica and then they find out that none are available and then the genuine item becomes even more desirable to them.  An endless feedback loop of attraction and desire.

I don't think a replica guarantees that the original will increase in value though, look at the Tri-Tech Schmitt for example.
There was a point where it cost about as much to buy and build a complete Tri-Tech Schmitt as it would cost for a genuine Messerschmitt.
Messerschmitt values have gone up but not crazy money because you can still find genuine Schmitts if you really want.