Author Topic: Carb cleaner  (Read 5680 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Carb cleaner
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
I'm sure we have all had this problem, you are working on an engine that has not been starter for decades and the carb is all gummed up with fuel varnish and sludge, the sludge washes away but the varnish remains and is clogging up all the passageways, nooks and crannies. Has anyone discovered any dunking solutions that really work? In the usa they have things like Gunk ultraseal but it appears not to be available in Europe. ( our nanny state leaders feel that one glance at a tin of it will kill us all!) The spray carb cleaners are not at all effective for this purpose, ultrasonic tank cleaning is the answer if you want to send it away and get a big invoice. I remember Tony Marshal suggesting leaving to soak in vineger but I fear this may etch all the surfaces.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:02:35 AM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Carb cleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
I tried vinegar and it worked fine. It it gives the surface a matt finish. If others more expert than me (most of you!) do NOT recommend vinegar I would also like to know of a better cleaner!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »
As i have to clean the carbs of my Peels,- not the Schmitts-, once a year after the winter period, i do it in two steps.
After the carbs are dismantled in parts, everything gets cleaned with brake cleaner spray, and dry it with compressed air.
Step two: Rob your wifes ultrasonic jewelry bath- yes sure she has one, because every woman has one- and fill it with distilled water: Put all the parts in the bath and leave them there for about 20 min.
Reassemble the carb and it should be perfect.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:49:40 PM by Peelpower »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
Er, Squeak and I are not married, and she does not have an ultrasonic jewellery bath! Perhaps I will keep using vinegar!
Once you have used vinegar for cleaning carbs, is it still good for salad dressing, or only fit for putting on chips?!

Jawmedead

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have an Ultra sonic cleaner bought from Frosts, see:     http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9420&frostProductName=Ultrasonic%20Cleaner  
Used it on many carbs and it cleans inside and out very well. Also good for jewelery, dentures etc.

Vinegar will slowly disintegrate alloy, hence the matt finish.

In the 1970s an old garage-hand gave me a tip to use cellulose thinners. It worked for me after drying the carb with compressed air. Stunk the garage out though!

Happy New Year.

Rob.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:42:28 PM by Jawmedead »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:53:12 PM »

Vinegar will slowly disintegrate alloy, hence the matt finish.

That confirms my concerns! Perhaps it is alright for getting a crock on the road again, but not for repeated use on a cherished car.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »
Well that was my concern too. After all it is an acid and repeated use could alter slide bore tolerances etc. I think my wife has a jewellery cleaning divice but I dont thinks its big enough to take a carb body. There must be another purpose made solvent for dunking on the UK market, just need to find it.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
On a related subject.  iI know the cure if you have a carb with a throttle shaft or piston or any other part that has frozen in place due to corrosion.  It is called Aero Kroil "the Oil that Creeps".  It will, within the period of a few days creep into openings as small as one millionth of an inch!  I had no sucess releasing the throttle shaft of 2 barrel carburetor on a 1960 Lincoln Continental that had sat dissasembled in its trunk for 30 years.  I had let it sit in carb cleaner, and then penetrating oil for 2 weeks each and spent hours mushrooming the actuating lever at one of it's ends by hammering it thousands of times.
After spraying a few drops of the Aerokroil on it for 3 days in arow I was finally able to tap it completely out of the casting and return it to full servicability in about 5 minutes.
It's very economical as at least here in the states they usually will give you a 2 for one deal where only $12 gets you two 13 oz. spray cans postpaid!  I now spray every nut, bolt and other intended to be moving parts  on every thing I can see before starting to work on an old micro car.  At this rate it seems the cans will still last me years.
Try : sales@kanolabs.com, or phone 615 833 4101/ fax615 833 5790.  They have lots of other interesting related products- and no I have no financial interest in their concerns.