Author Topic: Invalid Carriages now for sale  (Read 56435 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Invalid Carriages now for sale
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
Principle reason for post is that the quilted material for Trojan is available but only in white. It can be spray painted after testing solvent/material reaction. Trojans seem to have had either silver or red trim in this plastic coated sponge material that at the time was found on boats, caravans and even Thunderbird Two! The diamond pattern is of diverse size through production. The stuff available is more the size of the moulded door insert in this case rather than the large diamonds. Source - Alan Hitchcock.

On quality of cars etc. Yes cars are going into collections now. They tend to be the better ones and as collectables the issue becomes history and accuracy. I have been disappointed at the lack of freely available information on accurate data with respect to originality of specifications through the production runs of microcars. A difficult topic in some cases but very much simpler in others. The collectors can be buying on recommendation or cuteness. This is where wrong cars become right and fakes real, often via auctions. It is the responsibility of the clubs and those who hold information provable on originality to attempt to provide this information so that the history and quality of the cars remains pure. This is important for Enthusiast, Owner, Collector and the cars themselves to protect the heritage and prevent folk getting ripped off.
To look at it another way. Having gone to the trouble of restoring, conserving or salvaging a car most people seem to forget that they have created something that will outlive them. In fact you become part of the history of that car just as the guy who first bought it did. At some point you have to let go of the car and I feel I would like it to be as well supported by information as possible and be an example that my period with the car was good. The rape and pillage types really take the opposing view and profit is the motive.
The danger of rich collectors is that they can hoover up all the best cars leaving all the shagged and bodged cars and that some accuracy of what they own is twisted since many collectors are also or only investors, therefore value is important. Meanwhile the ordinary enthusiast is left with the tat or finding another hobby he can afford. Thats life I guess.
The real value of clubs and forums longterm therefore is that the should act as sources of information and data for those wanting to own, owning or working on cars so as they can do the best by the car. This seems to not always be happening with information being restricted and in some cases used to a private group or individual's advantage.

Case in point. The HTC know that Alan Hitchcock had a supply of trim material. They were even offered supply direct from source but refused it........

Thread Bear, laying bare the thread.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
Bob, get your self one of these Crystal balls quick before they are all gone.  They really do work  ;)
I was gazing into mine tonight trying to find out who bought those Peels and how much they paid but as the mists cleared I could see  the vague outlines of a Mk1 Scootacar with its new owner.  He was trying to get a message over 'Wanted Scootacar 9E engine and original cowls to replace non standard 11E, good price paid, even more than Andy Carter is willing to pay' sadly I couldn't make out his e-mail address as the hazy two stroke fumes descended ;D

The truth is out. How to tell real Peels from fakes. The real ones had domes made by Feanor which do kind of work like a crystal ball. One effect is that an owner of a genuine Peel Trident knows where the other ones are up to a point. So it becomes clear how certain people gain more Peels than others since they are able to catch the eye of the unsuspecting owner and hypnotise them into yielding it to them or at the very least turning them to their accolites. Of course fake ones do nothing but sit there looking opaque, bit like some of the purchasers. No matter how hard you rub it it will not tune in to a real peel or anything else usefull unless you want your hair to stand on end, assuming you have some. So beware of Geeks bearing grifts.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 11:51:20 PM »
Mate, you're the real Mc Coy  :(

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
I understood Threadbears comments to mean that the club should have bought some from source to supply members and not keep secret the fact that Alan has some. Sounds reasonable to me.

I agree about there being room for everyone with the exception of those that turn microcars into custom hotrods, these people should be banished to another planet without there microcars! :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
I understood Threadbears comments to mean that the club should have bought some from source to supply members and not keep secret the fact that Alan has some. Sounds reasonable to me.

That was the general idea. Poor grammer let me down.

Folk have every right to do and do whatever they wish with their cars. However if you want accurate info on technical specs etc. it is not easy to come by. My thrust is that perhaps those with info or who in a position to collect info might make it more accessable. The worst thing in the world is to see someone crushed after several years restoring a car because he was given or sourced incorrect data. Everyone looses. I can think of many cars rebuilt where the original spec has been altered to a modified one for the wrong reasons. However I would be the first to agree that a field full of uniformly perfect cars is boring and, yes, I will look at the 'wrong un' on the end first. I am now very much more particular about the cars I wish to keep and go for the most original I can find to illiminate wrong bits, bodges and poor replacement parts. Stuff that has been altered is of less value to many buyers, particularly collectors. This altered stuff is that which is getting left for the underfunded enthusiast to pick over and without technical help what are the chances of these cars getting done well? Perhaps it does not matter but I think it does as money is no arbitor of pride in achievement. That achievement might be delibrately none original but at least we can understand why. Perhaps Adi can offer an 'outside' opinion as I gained the impression this cover two of his points.
By the way I was buffing your old Scootacar yesterday, Adi. The floorpan is much better than you suggested and the car will progress into a nice example

(administrator fixed the quoted section....)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:31:26 PM by JimJanecek »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »
...and so now to return to the main point of this 'ere topic.  ;D  The second two vehicles of the Welsh pile are now out (Friday) & safely esconced in a place of safety near some Messerschmitt's & being watched over by some Dalmations. Once again the snow tried to hamper proceedings but it takes more than that to stop the ICR, even with the van & trailer half broudside round more than a few corners & adding three hours to an otherwise ten-hour return trip. Sill, we do it for fun.  (Wadda you mean there was no snow round here that day......!)  ::)  Four down, two to go, watch this space...   :-*

Invacar model 70

• Occasional
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
There is another way to own one of these vehicles.

Look out in the next Rum Car News.

There will be an element of profit  ;)
Best Regards
Richard

BSA C15, AJS 18S, Raleigh RM5, Honda CG125, Reliant Regal 3/25 and 3/30, GTM Rossa, Relaint Kitten Kit Car.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »

There will be an element of profit  ;)

ooh shush, else they'll start moaning again that an invalid carriage is being sold for 50p more than was originally paid for it.  ;)  Be warned tho world, if only I can sort my bank out, it might yet be sat on my drive....   ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:16:13 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:30 PM »
They're not going to be on Dragons' Den are they?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
 Anything a Peel can do, so can the invalid carriages....   ;)   

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 07:39:08 AM »
Now there is a thought. A MIcrocar specially made for the disabled with electric power. Ideal for city driving.  Especially if a version was made for the able bodied. It can be retro-styled and be a 60's icon. Get it on Dragon's Den having got the right to manufacture as H.M. Government and Son Ltd. It has to be a winner with potential world wide sales. I look forward to the Strife model complete with recoilless rifle ideal for that Libyan holiday.

Invacar model 70

• Occasional
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
I have today ordered a quantity of Model 70 exhausts.  They are nos with a little surface rust.  Any one who has not already shown an interest they will be £40 each plus any delivery costs.  The plan is to distribute them via shows etc.  Mt company has a few branches nation wide that I should be able to get them to if necessary.  Any takers let me know.
Best Regards
Richard

BSA C15, AJS 18S, Raleigh RM5, Honda CG125, Reliant Regal 3/25 and 3/30, GTM Rossa, Relaint Kitten Kit Car.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
 Welsh Conveyance saga update   All cars are now SOLD!  I now await the massed sounds of jaws hitting the floor from those who tried to pull the case to pieces, as the deals allow me to get on with my own full up & running Model 70 and take delivery of a Peel P50. And yes you did read that last bit correctly. I hereby announce that at the age of 30, I have now completed all my ambitions within the bubble world. And all done without the need to rip anyone off or fleece anyone.

Meanwhile, to those who strung me along wanting a Model 70 but ultimately not honouring the deals despite the efforts I went to, you have now missed your opportunities so don't come crying to me to find you another one for a few more years.....

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »
 :) :) :) Well done Stuart!!  :) :) :)
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »
Dangerous words. I always found when I got what I thought I wanted I found I wanted something else as well/instead! At 30 I think this is to be recommended as you have to have some drive to go out a find stuff but I think it might not be a Microcar for Stuart. Personally I think he ought to get a set of numberplate dies and a Trojan Van to tour the jumbles selling plates, 'as collectors items' of course. The Peel would fit in with the tooling. A chapter concluded but more to come from Root I think.