Author Topic: When did Peels become desireable?  (Read 12365 times)

Dan Rodd

When did Peels become desireable?
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
Thought i might pose this question.
Presumably there was little interest in them in the early-mid 60s when they were new,hence why not many were made.But what was the point at which they became something to actually seek out and buy?im not talking about their current glorified status in microcar circles these days,but back in the early 70s perhaps where,without the internet and micro clubs that there are now,few could have even heard of them?

Though it would be interesting to find out,also how they were found facinates me.I do wish that one day one will surface that hasnt been restored to over the top condition like a little trinket and wears its original finish,much more interesting! ;D

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: When did Peels become desireable?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »
Well, most of the non-mainstream micros first really started being appriciated in the UK in direct connection with the rise of the Burford Rallies & The Surrey Microcar Collection duo of Tony Marshall & Malcolm Thomas from 1975 onwards. As an aside, I concider 21st September 1975, to be the date of the founding of the entier UK microcar world, on the occasion of the Multi-make three-wheeler rally. Bob Dobie was down there in Sussex trying to find Peels at the exact same time, and so I belive was Gordon Fitzgerald up in Cumbria. Both in splendid isolation of each other alas. Bob sort of pettered outdue to not realising the fledling micro world was hatching right at that time, but Gordon was already involved with the Messerschmitt Owners Club I belive, and so did know of the hatching world. Thus Gordon became "Mr Peel" through the 1970s, & rescused at least a dozen in his time.

Bob sold his Peels to Malciom Goldsworthy in 1976, presumibly leading Goldsworthy to dig into Peels. MG visited the Isle of Man, rescused the prototype (1979?) also did a lot of research as Gordon Fitzgerald drifted from Peels to Heinkel-Trojans into the 1980s. Then enter Andy Carter in 1981 in connection with one particular Trident & Alan Evans's P50. and of course from the 1990s onwards, the Peel story is very much Andy Carter.

Let's not forget that Edwin Hammond astounded the Micro World in 1980 by forking out a totally unheard of £300 for a broken Trident  :o  The man was concidered to have truely taken leave of his senses paying that sort of money for a thing like that. Indeed, Jean very nearly divorced him over it, as I'm sure she'll take up the story.....   ;)

abridged text from "A complete history of the microcar world" by Stuart Cyphus  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:30:15 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
March 6 1997?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
March 6 1997?

Funnily enough Jim, I was just popping back to add that I personally concider 6th March 1997 to be the date when Peels became "desirable" as in the way Daniel asked.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
Weiner auction was when the microcar enthusiast took note.  Top Gear was when the world learnt what a Peel was and that's when they went ballistic.

Well I'm punting the MK1 Scoot will follow in a Peels footsteps.  It's that shape and they're as rare (although 800 were made they were usable and thus most died in action...)  

This is a forum so I welcome anyones views..! However all micros are pretty PC and right on as they promote sensible less selfish transport.  The Peel was designed to save you walking to the shops or station which is utterly outrageous now. Peels are pre processed food and laziness/freedom rights.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:59:01 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Dan Rodd

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
i think thats a good way of looking at it,most micros were designed so that people had a cheaper more economical option over big cars,the Peel was,by virtue of its size and limited useability,designed to replace the shoe! ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
Hi Perry. There you go again, talking up the value of a vehicle you just so happen to have invested in! :D :D  I do tend to agree though, they are whacky and a darn site more usable than a Peel, unless you use them as bookends as I do. The other cars I think are still undervalued are the early Bonds. Still, we should be more focused on restoring and driving micros rather than viewing them as an investments.

Dan Rodd

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:46:09 AM »
I wish more people took your attitude Bob of actually DRIVING them,i might be more tempted to go to a micro rally in the future,especially as the national is only 10 miles away from me this year.Last time i went a few years ago i got bored with all the over the top restos that had been trailered in or stuck on the back of a camper van 10 times the size of the micro.
I know that some arent sensible to use on the road but in my opinion theres no reason why a well set up Bond,schmitt or Heinkel cant be used on the road,hell,i still see Austin Sevens being used around here occasionally!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:06 AM »
Dan, I think most schmitts, Hienkels and Bonds are driven on the roads, its just that it can be hard work driving them to rallies if you live a couple of hundred miles away hence the trailers. A hundred miles is my limit as I still have a slight vertigo problem in the schmitt[and it doesnt even fly!] Restored, over restored? Thats always good for a debate, personally I like them shiny but original spec. You should come to some rallies and come out on the road runs, thats the best part!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:59:54 AM by Bob Purton »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
Well i would hope to see more driven to this years national,being as it is in the middle of the country,therefore hopefully giving a fair chance for more people to attend.
I prefer unrestored but mechanically uptogether myself,but do like to see something rare thats been restored to original spec,as it takes a lot more effort than say a mini or mgb where every part is available new off the shelf.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:27:57 AM »
Hi Perry. There you go again, talking up the value of a vehicle you just so happen to have invested in! :D :D  I do tend to agree though, they are whacky and a darn site more usable than a Peel, unless you use them as bookends as I do. The other cars I think are still undervalued are the early Bonds. Still, we should be more focused on restoring and driving micros rather than viewing them as an investments.

I wouldnt be too fussed Bob. You own the best Inter on the planet. It looks fantastic and is as quirky as a Peel etc..

it's right up there,superb and who wouldn't want one?!.  

I use both my Scoot and KR all the time.  They're not static.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:30:20 AM by P50 »
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
I know you use your Perry, in fact I was going to ask you if you wanted to drive down with me to the MOC rally in the summer? I know you like crashing into the back of me when I slow down for speed bumps! :D :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
Dan.             "as it takes a lot more effort than say a mini or mgb where every part is available new off the shelf."

Tell me about it! I always seem to choose bikes and cars that have zero parts availability! Still, I'm rebuilding an NSU Quickly engine for Steve Baylis at the moment with all parts availible, Deep JOY!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:37:56 AM by Bob Purton »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
I know you use your Perry, in fact I was going to ask you if you wanted to drive down with me to the MOC rally in the summer? I know you like crashing into the back of me when I slow down for speed bumps! :D :D

I'm driving down with my pal Ollie who you've met so indeed more the merrier.  Two yellow KR's and a red.  Any more offers from London?!
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »
Ah, I didnt know Ollie had finished his, thats good news. I will team up with the Loughton louts then! :D