Author Topic: When did Peels become desireable?  (Read 12448 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: When do Scootacars become desireable?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
I think the Scootacar remains a desireable micro amongst enthusiasts and microcar collectors.
I don't see it getting the kind of attention that the Peel does until it is bought and sold in a "proper" setting so as to show "others" that it is "acceptable" to buy them and collect them.
That is what happened at the Christie's auction.
That auction made collecting microcars and bubblecars "acceptable" to an entirely new group of people.

The other thing I have found the Peel has going for it (besides being on Top Gear) is the "Guiness World Record" thing for being smallest production car.
People like "world records" for some reason and whenever I have been involved with a P50 (from the Lane Museum) in a show, that point is what people react to the most.
There it is, right in front of them..."The World's Smallest Car".  And they are looking at it!  ta da.
The Montreal Auto Show wanted a display of micros and insisted there be a P50 in the mix.
They did not care what else what there as long as a P50 was present.

Until the Scootacar can come up with a trick like that, I don't think it can match the Peel.
Driveability is not really an issue.   Eventually the people who pay lots of money are collectors and they do not generally drive their cars.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
Driveability is not really an issue.   Eventually the people who pay lots of money are collectors and they do not generally drive their cars.

At last, someone who understands my own view of the microcar world these days and why very little is driven these days.  I can never understand all this hoo-haa that every single car ever made MUST be driven at all costs EVERY single moment of every single day.  I have no real intrest AT ALL in driving any car. They're all the same in that respect in my opnion. My enjoyment comes from admiering them, researching them AND LOOKING AT THEM.   That's my enjoyment of them. What right has anyone else to say I am anly less of an enthusiast than they are about these vehicles for not having any urge to drive them. 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: When did Peels become desireable?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I should take up stamp collecting Stuart! ;)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
I think the Scootacar remains a desireable micro amongst enthusiasts and microcar collectors.
I don't see it getting the kind of attention that the Peel does until it is bought and sold in a "proper" setting so as to show "others" that it is "acceptable" to buy them and collect them.
That is what happened at the Christie's auction.
That auction made collecting microcars and bubblecars "acceptable" to an entirely new group of people.

The other thing I have found the Peel has going for it (besides being on Top Gear) is the "Guiness World Record" thing for being smallest production car.
People like "world records" for some reason and whenever I have been involved with a P50 (from the Lane Museum) in a show, that point is what people react to the most.
There it is, right in front of them..."The World's Smallest Car".  And they are looking at it!  ta da.
The Montreal Auto Show wanted a display of micros and insisted there be a P50 in the mix.
They did not care what else what there as long as a P50 was present.

Until the Scootacar can come up with a trick like that, I don't think it can match the Peel.

I suppose it is a fact of life that some collectors just own the cars. Acceptable if they're pending restoration but a shame if they were road fit when aquired and end up static.

Oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of the P50. The KR,Scootacar and Trident have cracking styling. The P50 is simply a box on wheels. Hideous and utilitarian.     But famous and quirky.   

But,  I don't think it will need an auction etc to demonstrate a Mk1's value.   I think the nothing else like it styling and rareity will do enough. I think more Peels have been up for sale that Scoots over the last few years..

Bob,   Ollie's car's in build but will be done by April.     
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »
 ;D

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
...trailered in...I know that some arent sensible to use on the road but....

...it takes a lot more effort than say a mini or mgb....

Okay, okay, I'll take the hint.  My apologies for trailering the KV behind the MGB.  At least the KV has an exceptionally uncomplicated history vis-à-vis its desirability.

Mike Harrell
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Dan Rodd

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »
i fail to see any reason why anyone would buy a car solely to look at it.Guess what the car was invented for?driving.Even if its just on a rally field i would get more pleasure in sitting in any microcar,mine or not,and being able to experience the sound,smell and surroundings of the car i was in.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
Eep.  I should have thrown some smileys into my previous comment.  I do greatly enjoy driving my KV around town, but its top speed makes longer distances unapproachable.  I assure you it emits all sorts of sounds and smells, often even when parked.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
 Out of interest what's the top speed of a KV?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »
i fail to see any reason why anyone would buy a car solely to look at it.

and there are places where people will PAY to look at them even though they do not own them! 
Can you imagine that?  ::)

Dan Rodd

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 10:06:28 PM »
i do that all the time,its called Google! ;D

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
you pay to use Google?

in other news, I have started a new thread to address the concerns you bring up about why anyone would buy a car just to look at.

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=2068.0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:57:19 PM by JimJanecek »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »
i pay for my internet ;)

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
Out of interest what's the top speed of a KV?
My KV Mini 1 has a top speed of around 35 mph on level ground (which is to say about 55 in whatever units are used on its odd little French speedometer) but it is woefully underpowered for ascending grades.  I'm lucky to maintain 10-12 mph up modest hills, even without a passenger.  Downhill is fun, though.  I understand the KV Gad'Jet is a worse performer; don't know about the Mini 2.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19:43 PM »
My KV Mini 1 has a top speed of around 35 mph on level ground

By gad Sir, that's a veritable speed-machine you've got there, compared to my Mini-Comtesse!  (17mph)  :o  How can you cope with that sort of velocity! For after all, did not those learned Victorian Doctors tell us when the railways first came that humans would all die of sufforcation at any speed above a brisk cantering gait!  I fear for your wellbeing good sire unless I immediatly throw a chock under your wheel to impede your unruly progress when I see you and that there KV in Chicago in August....   ;)