Author Topic: Scootacar  (Read 9499 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
Re: Scootacar
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 11:00:43 PM »
Hello people, been a long time, how is everyone? Someone directed me to this thread and suggested i might want to take a look at it.

I gotto say, i am quiet amused. The notion that im an American kid is pretty cool, you know, i like it! While you are at it, can you make me from the OC too? And i want a mother who is a lawyer and a father who owns a small chain of shoe stores.

As for the car, well, i could explain and justify all my actions, and all iv done to it, but i cant be bothered. So instead, im just going to put it bluntly.

Its my car, so i can do anything i want to it. And the fact that you may not like it makes absolutely no difference at all, since its not your car. Simples!  ::)

To everyone else, dont worry, NJT is alive and well, and still has all its factory fittings and components. It still does not have a hayabusa turbo motor or 3-wheel drive. And you will be hearing about it soon i think.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:04:17 PM by adi »

Kabine

• Occasional
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
This thread is making me laugh. I do actually work in the OC area of California but as yet have not seen Adi there. Maybe I have seen him somewhere before - hmmm let me think about why this thread has appeared..............................

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »
Oh, like i said, dont worry, this car is not all that bad at all, its just that i really dont appreciate people having this kind of attitude. Hence im not even going to bother writing about what work iv done to it, and why.

Sure, it deserved an owner who will never drive it, and go to a psychic medium to call up the spirit of the factory worker who assembled it, to find out exactly what angle
the wheel nuts should be, but instead it got me. yay for capitalism!

By the way, to put your mind at ease, the only 'non original' components it has are a couple of modern sealed-for-life bearings, and a Lucas dip switch. Everything else is just how it should be, at least how it was on this particular car, since Scootacar production was such a mess, they had all sorts of stuff from the factory.

Its doing fine, and you will be hearing about it sometime soon, and will be thesame, if not better, then others of its kind in circulation. And as a bonus, will actually be treated like a car by its owner. Ok, it might have a Lucas dip switch, but at least someone will occasionally press it.

So, guys, dont worry about the Scootacar. Worry about the OTHER projects i have!

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »
And i want a mother who is a lawyer and a father who owns a small chain of shoe stores.

I see no reason to deprive yourself in this way: surely a large chain of shoe stores would be better.  Or are you worried that you may then retrospectively develop some psychoses due to your father not having spent enough time at home in your formative years?

I'm pretty sure we have the right to know the answer to this question, as well as the part number of the sealed-for-life bearings.

Andrew  ::)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
Oh, like i said, dont worry, this car is not all that bad at all, its just that i really dont appreciate people having this kind of attitude. Hence im not even going to bother writing about what work iv done to it, and why.

Sure, it deserved an owner who will never drive it, and go to a psychic medium to call up the spirit of the factory worker who assembled it, to find out exactly what angle
the wheel nuts should be, but instead it got me. yay for capitalism!

By the way, to put your mind at ease, the only 'non original' components it has are a couple of modern sealed-for-life bearings, and a Lucas dip switch. Everything else is just how it should be, at least how it was on this particular car, since Scootacar production was such a mess, they had all sorts of stuff from the factory.

Its doing fine, and you will be hearing about it sometime soon, and will be thesame, if not better, then others of its kind in circulation. And as a bonus, will actually be treated like a car by its owner. Ok, it might have a Lucas dip switch, but at least someone will occasionally press it.

So, guys, dont worry about the Scootacar. Worry about the OTHER projects i have!

Scootacar production was such a mess, they had all sorts of stuff from the factory

Can you elaborate on this Adi as I find this confusing.  The Scootacar is a rather over engineered car in some ways.
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
I'm a stickler for originality as much as the next man, though every micro I've ever seen has always had some substandard parts, because whomever fixed it at one time or another used whatever parts were to hand, however this is not the point here. The bottom line is, if Adi hadn't rescued it and put it back into circulation, where would it be now? It may have been crushed and put in a skip.  :o

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
My scootacar had glass bubble tail lights (as found in morris minors and land rovers and alot of other cars) from day one, by the looks of it. This is confirmed by the hole pattern in the bodyshell, and also by the owners accounts of when she had the car. This means that in theory, if you do everything by the book, my car was never actually legal, since those lights dont have a number plate illumination window.

It also had an 11E engine, which now, by all accounts, looks like it may have been fitted by Scootacar themselves, or their agent.

My car also never had a heating system by the looks of it, i think they just sort of gave up on that idea in that stage of production.

There are a few little things like that, thats all. I think something to do with the door lock, i cant remember to be honest. But, thats what i meant when i said their production line was a mess. It wasnt bad or anything, its just, they used whatever they had lying around i think by the looks of it.

And by the way, the rear wheel bearings are METRIC, i dont know why. The numbers match, and they are from a series that was around at the time. You can get sealed-for-life modern equivalents, which are better (metallurgy has gone quiet abit forward in 50 years). Also, being sealed, you dont have to mess around with grease and grease seals.

And best of all, they cost pennies, i think mine cost something like 5 pounds for a pair! They are from a very popular series of industrial bearings, and are still stocked by bearing companies on the shelf these days.