Author Topic: Silly season has spread to Fiat 500's  (Read 17447 times)

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
Silly season has spread to Fiat 500's
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Silly season has spread to Fiat 500's
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »
I don't see anything in the listing referring to Messerschmitt.  :-\

barchetta

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:55 PM »
No , its just that the heights that most schmitt prices command ( or are listed on ebay at ) seem to have rubbed off on the little fiats,,,,,this shell is priced £7,000 more than my friend paid for a tidy suicide door fiat 500 taxed and mot'd
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »
Dave, whilst I have your attention, as a Fiat man, Have you heard of any problems in registering Zastaza [fiat 600's] in the uk? I have seen a few on ebay and they appear to be a bargain, is there a catch?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »
 If Zastava's are problimatic, it might help to list them on paper as Yugo's as then officialdom will have heard of those & have records.....   Maybe?

Is a 1972 Fiat 500 windscreen worth owt to anyone? Plus steering column & most of a black interior? All left over from the one we had which rusted away in the early '80s.  If no offers, the screen will be heading to Beaulieu Autojumble in May....

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Blimey that's quite a price!
In the mid 80s I did a tour in Yugoslavia (as it was then) and saw millions of Zastavas, which I had never heard of before. Mostly 600s, but also a Lada Riva style car (ex Fiat 124?) and the Zastava Yugo which was like the old Simca 1100s that sold a few in UK.
I have to say the style of driving and airliner piloting over there made Italians seem extremely tame!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
I dont know that Zastavas ARE problematic to register, it just occured to me that its getting impossible to find a sound bodied Fiat 600 these days, with a zastava you get the same cute body shape but with no rot plus the benifits of a 750 engine [I think]. Also according to my little Serbian friend they are very reliable and go on forever with good parts availability. I think I have just talked myself into getting one! 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
The only problem with Zastavas, from my experience, is that they only have a 2 speed gearbox. Park or H.S.M.*

*Homicidal Suicidal Maniac.

I think the 5oo is a nicer shape, but the 600 does have a bit more room and performance. They must be tough little cookies because they survive drivers over there. Sometimes they do drive on the road (if there us a road) but diversions onto embankments and fields, and through quarries and building sites are normal overtaking manouevers.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
That shell does seem very expensive. I must admit I thought Fiat 500s were in the lead with Schmitts on price increases but I stand to be corrected as I have not really watched closely. I find Fiat 500s to suffer a little from VW Beetle disease in that many owners want to buy an image not a piece of automotive engineering and do not research the subject. In this new world of Microcars going to investors perhaps I cannot throw stones but when you own something like a Wiensburg Coupe and Middle Barton - the 'experts' and most Fiat owners have never heard of it you kind of think 'what the hell is going on here'. In the same vane I have a Fiat Jolly. How do you access records for these cars? I know its genuine but Fiat supplied cars to Ghia (was it, my brain fails) who converted them. It seems, therefore, that Fiat do not differentiate a Jolly from the production run of standard cars. I have not tried Ghia yet but of course they have been bought and sold a few times so there is every chance the records have been destroyed. Most Jollys were built to order so if the records exist then I should be able to find out which spec it should be and who it was supplied to. Is there someone who has a register or holds information on Jollys out there?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320447520387&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D320447520387%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Make of this what you will.  Quick T-cut and free off the brakes it is not...   I have a genuine '64 595SS Abarth racer in my collection...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:28:17 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 11:26:31 AM »
Nice!
A few years ago a Black 500 Abarth with 600 engine (and concommittant open boot lid!) visited the motorcycle shop in our yard. I went over to gaze at this lovely car and the owner came over and we chatted about them. He then said something like "have you ever seen such a small car?" It would have been rude not to invite him round the corner to have a look at a proper micro! When he saw DUF, my Trojan, his jaw dropped, and being Italian a stream of delighted expletives poured out of him, but I declined all his purchase offers!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
Do you think the advent of the new 500 could have awakened an interest in the real ones that otherwise would not have happend, hence a fresh demand and increased prices?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
Is the Pope....bear....woods?!

barchetta

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
Ref the Zastava enquiry,,,, I had one up to about 5 years ago ( i did chauffeur the current ICR chairman about in it on the saturday run to the midland railway museum.... was this from Southwell racecourse? )

The problems with registering mine;
 It had no import papers as it was bought over by an Army captian from the former Yugoslavia,,, he didn't have to stop at Dover customs .
 It had no documentation or number plates.i worked out it was a 1982 model, as it had plastic hubcaps and an Alternator.
 I emailed the Zastava works for year of manufacture information ,They didn't reply ,hardly surprising as the RAF had flattened 75% of the factory during the Bosnian conflict ,not sure if the Yugo 45's being made at the time were WMD,they were a dodgy driver though.
 I ended up paying the customs the VAT on my receipt from the Army captain,,,about 35 quid ,and ended up with a Q plate.DVLA man came and had a chat as he needed to inspect it ,That was when he travelled to you.
(Incidentally  i was offered an old logbook for a Fiat 600D , but wanted to keep it genuine.)
 Bit of good news,,, parts are very cheap,its a bit of a game getting them from Bosnia ,how about a set of 4 wheel cylinders, a master cylinder and 4 flexi brake pipes for £22.00... Water pump was from Middle Barton Garage in Oxfordshire,they know what  Fiat 600 parts will fit.

barchetta

• Chatty
Re: Silly season has spread to Fiat 500's ( zastava)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 08:44:22 PM »
Here's a pic of my old one Bob....
 As for Jollys there is a US contact,,,,, Fiat Jolly Register, 3012 Ardsley Dr., Orlando, FL 32804 USA
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:55:02 PM by barchetta »