Author Topic: goggomobil  (Read 2945 times)

jim white

• Just Starting
goggomobil
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »
Hi, I need a new exhaust silencer for my coupe, Has anyone used the Uwe Staufenberg sports or standard silencer? Or can you recommend someone else ? Thanks Jim

Goggo-Rennauto

• Just Starting
Re: goggomobil
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »
Hi,

I also need an exhaust for my T300/Dart conversion, what struck me about the original is how big it was and as a result how heavy it was - not good!  This started me thinking that surely their must be a lighter alternative...

... I found a photo whilst scouring the net which shows a Goggo exhaust made from what appears to be two motorcycle silencers, I am now trying to find some similar ones, with a view to having one made up complete with twin tail pipes!  I can send you the picture if you e-mail me (heinzhome57@hotmail.com) and when I get a price I'll let you know.

If you go with Uwe's sports silencer let me know - if it's good I might change my plan !

PS If you have any spares I would be very interested...

Regards,

Stuart

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:22:09 PM »
Hi
   I have Three Goggo's a Saloon, a Coupe and a Dart - all have Uwe lightweight silencer - I've known Uwe for 25 years and his parts are always top quality - his lightweight silencer is fitted to all of his cars and sounds brilliant - Making your own silencer might be a bad thing because of the back pressure affects the speed of the car - my saloon is happy at about 45 - 50 MPH whilst the Coupe jogs along at about 50 - 55, this may be because it has a Uwe supplied contactless ignition circuit, I have bought one for my Dart rebuild. both my Saloon and the Coupe have 250cc engines the Coupe has a pre-select gearbox, the Dart has a 400cc engine and is lighter so I expect it is capable of doing 60 -65 MPH. I always use top quality oils (Castrol ) and I find that mixing it at greater than 25 to one nearer 30 to one lowers the smoke coming from the exhaust. I always drive my cars to the rally, and I believe that using them is half the fun - I hope this helps.
                                                                                                                                                                Mike
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:24:40 PM by g-o-g-g-o »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
The early Goggo exhaust looks to have been developed from the Goggo Roller system used with the Ilo engines. Since the Goggomobil engine is pretty much a twin Ilo this makes a certain amount of sense. As such it featured twin boxes with the heater on one manifold and a long exhaust mounting bar. These systems are quite rare for obvious reasons. Quite why this was changed in favour of the all in one system I am not sure but the quoted reason was to comply with new German regulations. Anyway the all in one system does cramp the Goggo's style for two reasons.
It weighs a lot and is right at the rear of the car thus increasing the rearward centre of balance effecting handling, not the Goggo's strong point to start with on swing axles.
It tends to strangle the engine. A test on my T300 showed that putting on the earlier system allowed the car to rev passed 60 MPH (Goggo speedo) and cruise happily at 65 MPH all day. This car had Coupe primary drive. With the standard system it was a real struggle to get it over 60 MPH. In the twin box form it would out perform a standard Messerschmitt much of the time.
The Lloyd exhaust using the stub pipe from a VW beetle is a happy compromise as it is cheaper and performes better. It is mildly tunable as the outlet is adjustable but as it uses only one outlet of the standard manifold, thus keeping the heater, it is not ever possible to have both cylinders running on the same length of exhaust pipe. I assume this is what is being called the lightweight silencer though I am aware of another design about which I have not tried.
The Goggomobil is very de-tuned and John Bannell is exploring the outer limits of possibility but without doubt the exhaust is a target to alter. However it is not an easy location to fit something really hoopey.
A twin exhaust Goggomobil does sound very much better and can imitate a Tiger in the dark, which can be fun.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs