Author Topic: NMR 2006  (Read 11359 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
NMR 2006
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:18:08 PM »
Now heres a thing some of you never expected to see in your lifetime; me doing someting involving a computer! Anyway, the main point is; Stand by for an announcement from the Invalid Carriage Register regarding the NMR 06. A press releace is being prepared right now. Stand by for further developments....

Dan Rodd

Re: NMR 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »
Who wants an early leak??? dont tell Stuart!

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:15:15 AM »
 Oooh cheeky!!  By the way, how does one get their "stock list" added to the bottom of their reply like you & Sir Bob of Dobie?

robadob

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 10:34:49 PM »
Hi Stuart you young whipper snapper, Go to edit in Your Profile and fill in Your Signature. Sir Bob.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 06:25:06 PM by robadob »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:41:09 AM »
Oh yes. Thank you Sir Bob.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »
Ok then everybody, you've all read RumCar News. Now you know what the Invalid Carriage Register is up to at this years NMR. I've had enquierys from all over the UK and even from Holland and America, but none yet from RUM members. Surely you're not all waiting till I ask you in May are you? Get your oar in quick is all I can say if you want a chance to definatly be on the line. as space is limited! Just imajen everybody, invalid carriages as far as the eye can see. I have two objectives; One, to outnumber the Messerschmitts, and two, to win the Concurse De Grot. (That's the only trophy that matters!) Ooh we can't wait....! ;D

Dan Rodd

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:45:54 PM »
I think that the big three (trienkels,messerschmitts and isettas) may have their snobbery and wealth get the better of them if they see a line up of invacars!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »
Stuart. Did the wholesale destruction of ivalid cars planned by the ministry actually happen? I remember reading about it some years ago but have heard nothing since. Im no fan of them as you know but the whole idea seamed criminal especially as there appears to be quite a following for them.

Dan Rodd

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »
Oh yes,all bar a few hundred which have escaped were destroyed by crusher,along with all brand new spares,for instance 40,000
new villiers clutch plates and unused lead acid batterys.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 06:59:41 PM »
I agree with bobbybubble is was crimminal that is why it is all the more reason to preserve what is left.  Even if you are no fan you must see that the invalid carriage is part of transports history over the ages and should be recorded.  It just so happened way back in the 1980's  Micheal Lawrence since deceased first started to keep an historical record of invalid carriages. When an enthusiast wanted to re-register his vehicle  Micheal was advised by the DVLA that the Register of Unusual Microcars was the nearest appropriate group authorised to validate the claim that we started working together.  It was many years later that Stuart Cyphus enthusiastically took up the challenge.  Until that time we just took the odd few under our wing because they had three wheels, small engines and were road going!  I was only too pleased when Stuart under took to look after that part of the Register because they were really rather very different from the run of the mill microcar.  Nevertheless very worthy of saving.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Dan Rodd

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »
I think it would be fair to say that they are microcars for the disabled!

If you look at the history of them right back to the early 30's with the argsons etc,they really are very interesting.
I think that they are a prime example of something that you don't realise how important they are untill they are gone.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 04:50:47 PM »
 Hello Bob and everybody else, yes, the wholesale ministry destruction did indeed happon, but gradually over at least 30-35 years. To put the numbers scale into perspective, in 1976, the Minisistry had 21,500 vehicles on their books. As far as I can work out on observation, LESS THAN A FEW DOZEN of the "Ministry" vehicles existing today were actully released into the wild (as in legaly!) by the ministry from then to 14/10/04 when the last ministry vehicle came off the road for good. ALL the rest were officaly scrapped. (I have a whole series of photos as proof, including a few of the last known electric AC Acedes being cut up. Which took place as late as 1996!) In addition to this figure, there were manufacturers that only supplied to private buyers, namely Trilox, Nelco (Solocar) and Harding after 1953 to name but three. Their vehicles tended to be in the minority, but it seems that "private" sirvival rate is quite high, I have 172 vehicles on my register right here right now, and the typical "ministry" machines actully only account for a relitivly small percentage. Which is a pitty, as it was mostly the ministry machinces that looked like "proper" small cars.

If I might put a question to the general public, as a case in point. Everybody take a look at my Harding Consort, as seen in my current Register Page. If you had not been TOLD that it was an invalid carriage, would you even know that it WAS one? The point of my argument being why are my invalid carriages less highly regarded just becuse of the purpuse to which they were put 30 years ago than, say, an Isetta? I make a point of not labouring the "Disabled" aspect, treating them instead as the last great "unknown" area of small vehicle history, but at the end of the day, that area is why these vehicles existed at all. Plus, remember there was a time not so long ago when the ownership of "Proper" microcars were seen as purverse. Why drive one of them when you could have a normal big car and all that.   

To Bob again. Will you be at Jean's Open Day in July? I would quite like to meet you and have a general chat. Don't worry, I won't try to win you over to invalid carriages....

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:54:55 PM »
P.S to the above.

The history of the invalid carriage goes back even further than that Daniel. 1843 is the earliest referance I've so far found to a specifically-built machine for a disabled persons mobility in the UK.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Well folk, the countdown is almost up! The invalid carriages will be invading Southwell very very soon. even I dint know exaly what will turn up now. Put it this way, we have more than ten!

BE THERE!

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 06:25:35 PM »
Ho Humm, it is now less than 24 hours to blast-off and in in the last hour I have had two cancelations. Despite this, the 25-year-old recold is still set to fall on sunday. At the last count, this is whats due to take their place on the line....

Definately.

1961 Harding Consort
 1949 Argson Electric
 1970 Invacar Mk 12E
 1953ish Invacar Mk 8
 1947 Trilox Rollsette
 1984 BEC Scoota
 Plus a couple of others that for some reason I cant recall just now!
 Possibly.

1956 Nelco Solocar
1954 Harding De Luxe (from Holland!)
1925 Argson Beaufort (the UKs, & possibly the worlds, oldest powered invalid carriage)
197? Invacar Model 70
1939 Argson Electric

I've done all I can, the rest is up to you now.