Author Topic: The Daffodil Dash  (Read 13848 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
The Daffodil Dash
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:03:39 PM »
Not Microcars but I guess mopeds are kind of related.
Here is a link to a few pix of the event. I'm wearing the red helmet and riding the yellow and blue Puch MS50.
http://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/events5/100321.html

P50

• Prolific Poster
Re: The Daffodil Dash
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »
Not Microcars but I guess mopeds are kind of related.

As in what way?  Ok I admit they are piloted by humans and have internal combustion engines and wheels but little else.    The only connection was in the early years bikers progressed to micros due to the license concessions at the time.

Can we keep topics micro related? 

However this is my opinion and others may welcome such postings.. 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
Well its a very small moped! Anyone brave enough to be seen with his red helmet out has my respect even if I do not want to see it particularly! Maybe humour is not on too so I will shut up now.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
P50....... Related in what way? Well in three ways really, first they are diminative transport that working class folk of the period owned for commuting etc and as you noted, many progressed onto microcars from two wheels, secondly quite a few microcar people who use the forum are also cyclemotor enthusiasts. Thirdly as your forum ID P50 is a Honda moped from the sixties I assumed you were a fan! On the other hand they are not microcars and this is the Rumcars forum so I will shut up!

Mr Bear.....Humour is compulsory on the forum but preferably not smut.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:14:12 PM »
I'm sorry Bob but I also like pre war racing cars and 60's minibikes. No point mentioning that here though...

It's a RUM forum.  Mopeds were cheap transport for emerging economies. Especially Asian.

Micros are a different more eccentric concept which generally died out.   That interests me.  Plus some of the nutters that post here...
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 03:05:39 PM »
If you want eccentrics you should have been where I was on Sunday , oooops! I must not mention that again. Seriously though my experience last Sunday on the dash was so reminiscent of how things used to be years ago at microcar rallies before ebay, wealthy collectors  and high values screwed it all up, everyone was really friendly, a warm welcome to newcomers, no snobbery, no mafia, no don't mention that on our forum, anything goes and did!!. Shame we cant turn the clock back really!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
If you want eccentrics you should have been where I was on Sunday , oooops! I must not mention that again. Seriously though my experience last Sunday on the dash was so reminiscent of how things used to be years ago at microcar rallies before ebay, wealthy collectors  and high values screwed it all up, everyone was really friendly, a warm welcome to newcomers, no snobbery, no mafia, no don't mention that on our forum, anything goes and did!!. Shame we cant turn the clock back really!

I'll not argue with that.   But it's still a grin at the NMCR National, School House, MOC National etc etc..

The rare stuff is rare because is was not terribly good thus didn't sell. Scootacar vs Schmitt etc etc.  You can't take a Peel on a 50 mile roadrun through the dales and keep up.  The common Micros are more plentiful. Thus cheaper (not necessarily cheap) and much more usable.  As time ebbs on it will be interesting to see where stuff goes etc once disposed of.  All my machines were built way before I was born.. But I still like them.

So the "new kids have no interest" angle simply doesn't stand up.  Likewise Bugattis etc.. They're worth millions but no owner was alive when they were built.

I fear the rare stuff will go overseas. Our currency is weak and we have a lot of tackle over here...     
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »
Mr Bear.....Humour is compulsory on the forum but preferably not smut.

Yes, sorry, smut is not low carbon. I will attempt greener humour.

I think Bob has a very valid point about events. Mopeds, vintage karts and such are relitively new and expanding areas of interest so fresh and free of spirit. It pays to find other activities from time to time. Once the money comes in the thing goes away from the bargin basement. Many 'new kids' have no interest as they cannot afford the entry price. I cannot afford a Bug but I would like one. Certain things trancend memory but what about the boring black pre war saloons. They have dropped in price as no one really wants them anymore. Maybe they are fun again.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
I think many of us on this forum have interest in all sorts of things other than just micros, and I welcome the occasional foray into other areas, like submarine cars, scooter autgyros, moped rallies, mechanical elephants etc.. As long as the main focus is on micros count me in for anything unusual, rare or amusing.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
Well that has been the tradition so far in the forums history. It can be very hard not to mention occasionally something else that interests us especially when we know that other users will also be interested, Tony Marshals passion for Austin Allegro's pops up in most issues of RCN and who cares if it does! Sometimes there is a lul of activity on the forum and I see no harm in introducing  topics that are "related" if it keeps things jogging along. Its not compulsory to read all the topics if one is not interested. I would quite like to hear about Perry's mini bike collection or prewar racing cars, anything to stop him going on about Peels! Ho! Ho! only joking Perry! Do you remember the time in the pub when we said the next one to mention the word Peel has to buy all the drinks ? It changed nothing! You carried on all night but just substituted Peel with "the P word"!! untill eventually it slipped out, we never did get our free drinks! :D :D

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »
OK. Here's my 1963 Honda CZ100 White Tank.

Only sold in UK, Germany and France.  Not Japan.  This is the genesis of the whole Monkey range.  Hand made frame with no frame numbers stamped in. Or speedo. These came later with the Red Tank model from '64 onwards when Honda realised there was demand.

As you can see it has been restored (perhaps over restored) to show/concours condition.  Parts are impossible to get.  Very few exist and less are on their original registration.

As with my micros,  for sale when I'm dead as utterly impossible to replace!   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:54:59 PM by P50 »
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
Lovely Perry! Was that tank used on other full size Honda's?  What do you think of Di Blassi?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
The whole bike was an in house bitza.  The tank came off a Honda C110.

http://www.paradisecycles.com/Images/Image001.jpg

Grips,foot pegs,exhaust pipe/shield,badges,horn,rear light unit etc came off contemporary Hondas.

One think that is uber unique is the White Tank headlamp,bowl and bezel.  From nothing else and rarer than a NOS Scootacar Mk1 LEP backlight.   

My bike was bought new in Morpeth in '63.  It was last used '65-'66 as it had the original tax disc on it ending '66. Charming little thing. I also have a Trobike!   and a Skat Kitty (see link)

http://dmcgee.smugmug.com/photos/569887069_3g8XS-M.jpg
-Benvenuto Cellini

Ollie

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
OK. Here's my 1963 Honda CZ100 White Tank.

Only sold in UK, Germany and France.  Not Japan.  This is the genesis of the whole Monkey range.  Hand made frame with no frame numbers stamped in. Or speedo. These came later with the Red Tank model from '64 onwards when Honda realised there was demand.

As you can see it has been restored (perhaps over restored) to show/concours condition.  Parts are impossible to get.  Very few exist and less are on their original registration.

As with my micros,  for sale when I'm dead as utterly impossible to replace!   

Over restored!!! you cheeky git.That took me a lot of blood sweat and tears to restore that back to its former glory  ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Ollie, you are clearly a man after my own heart!  Never could understand all this overrestored nonsense, if a machine had nice shiny new paint, perfect chrome etc etc when new how can a thing be overrestored! The exception would be straying from original spec. You did a cracking job! In my experience those who shout "overrestored" usually cant restore!