Author Topic: Vauxhall sills that fit Heinkels?  (Read 2326 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
Vauxhall sills that fit Heinkels?
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:46:29 AM »
I heard this rumor that some Vauxhall car's sills can be chopped to fit a Heinkel, as they have the same compound curves and shape. They are not 100% exact but apparently near enough.

Does anyone happen to know, 1) is this really true and 2) what exact Vauxhall car is it?

I figured someone here will know.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Vauxhall sills that fit Heinkels?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
I did see someone's restoration report in the Heinkel Trojan Club magazine a few years ago which mentioned Vauxhall panels as being a  good basic shape, but cannot recall which model
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:12:01 AM »
It was Viva outer sill, I forget which version but it will be the round one which I think was the HB, which has a flange at the bottom to butt onto the flange on the new floor.... if it has one! The curve round is not compound but a rolled curve of near correct and adjustable match to the Trienkel. Clearly the panel can only go up so far before some adaption is needed to take in the compound curve of the Trienkel shell in. The first car that I knew to have used this method had a Vauxhall bonnet as a main floor and a Chevane spare wheel cover as front floor, suprisingly close with swages and thick guage steel, so we are going back a bit. However it was about as accurate as the first floorpans the HTOEC made available and better metal! All you needed to finish the job was a HTOEC dustbin lid for the spare wheel well!
The Viva panel is a close match and in the absence of any genuine replacement panel does very nicely. Nearest place to you, Adi, is LBC Panels of Westbury, if they are still going. As soon as you have sight you can see it will do the job. Failing that there is guy from the midlands who does mail order sill out of Classic mags like Classic Car Monthly the autojumbler paper. Trouble is you will not see what you might want to buy.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

john p

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
1 used viva sill on my trojan but was hc viva sill ,i went to local motor factors with piece of body and went through rack of sill panels to find nearest match which was hc viva .