Author Topic: Selling my Messerschmitt  (Read 22307 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Selling my Messerschmitt
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »
As some of you know recently I have been contemplating parting with my yellow Messerschmitt, after much deliberating I have finally decided to let it go which will be quite a wrench as I have owned it for 12 years. It will proberbly be offered on evilbay but thought it would be good manners to mention it to forum users first.  Bob
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:49:33 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Selling my Messerschmitt
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »
Does this mean 'Schmittlessness? This is a serious business and could result in further Isetta heads you realise. Your on dodgy ground having an Inter as it is more pointy than a Schmitt. The Fend Fort Police will be knocking on your cat flap - well they have small minds you see. Oh, I have an Isetta head now.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »
Thanks for your concern Fred Bare!   Just think, none of them will ever talk to me again if I export it, not a bad thing ah? I'm happy to report that I have taken the plunge and bought the said Isetta, an imaculate little red LHD Brighton jobby not dissimular to my first car when sixteen years old. Now to relive my youth!  Cant afford to be too smug yet though, have to sell primrose to pay for it and hopefully have substatial change in my pocket too.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
I'm happy to report that I have taken the plunge and bought the said Isetta, an imaculate little red LHD Brighton jobby not dissimular to my first car when sixteen years old. Now to relive my youth! 

Why sell the (usable) king of micros to be replaced with (whilst admittedly charming) an inferior machine? 

To the layman on the street the Isetta has the wow factor. It's not a rare car (early model or not).  However the KR is leagues ahead.  OK it has poor brakes,hard ride and a PITA reverse but styling/handling/engineering it's the best.

Each to their own...  ::)

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »

However the KR is leagues ahead.  OK it has poor brakes,hard ride and a PITA reverse

PITA?  Is that a new competitor for SIBA?   ;) 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
You know why Perry! The very rock hard suspension you mention brings on my vertigo problem making driving it a risky business! I have opted for something with a softer ride.Its also pointless comparing the schmitt with an Isetta, they are just different animals. I am now looking forward to stopping in a straight line, not being thrown out of my seat when I hit a bump, not wagging my rear end as I go down the road, not roasting under the dome when the sun shines, not having my wife comlain about her kidneys roasting against the rear firewall, not having to shout my head off to be audible to my passenger, and perhaps the biggest treat of all not having to suffer the bigotry of some schmitt owners who think that schmitts are the only microcar worth owning. Having said that some of the schmitters are great guys and are good friends, I include you in that number Pel! It is a wrench though, I have even considered parting with the Inter instead as my history with the messerschmitt goes back a fair way and I have some good memories. Anyway, I have owned an Isetta before and loved it, end of story.

Kitty76

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
go for what you want,and what you can gain most enjoyment out of owning and driving,no good having a minter of a schmitt if you are ill when driving it,better to get an isetta that you can enjoy and then someone else can gain enjoyment out of your hard work on the schmitt :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »
Ultimately a Schmitt is replacable, an Inter is not. Correct decission I would think. I am not an Isetta lover myself but the Schmitt is certainly not perfect. I think it is much more of a nutters car as they really respond best to being driven really quite hard. This is not what most folk want to be doing and is not popular in mixed company at Rallies. Also if you are enjoying Fizzies etc then you can get 'speed' kicks from thrashing one of those leaving the Isetta for more sociable outings. Schmitts are not greatly sociable. Sad though, what happens to the white floppy hat?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Hi Bob
          And I was saving my bubble window Isetta for you - I suppose I'll have to sell it on evilbay next year!!
                                                                                                                                                               Mike

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »

However the KR is leagues ahead.  OK it has poor brakes,hard ride and a PITA reverse

PITA?  Is that a new competitor for SIBA?   ;) 

No its bread lost in selling a Schmitt in the UK at the moment!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 08:57:24 AM »
Hi Goggo, I will talk to you at Enfield about that.    Bob

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
PITA + Pain in the arse!!
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
I would never have worked that out on my own!

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
Thanks for letting me know , Are you selling it with all the silverware ( well tinplate) that it has won over the years ?,,,,I'd allready pencilled you in for 'best microcar' at next years rally as you missed out for the first time last year!
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52:09 AM »
Hi Dave. No, I think I will hang on to the Trophy's.
 Well this is it Dave, since the car didnt win last year I am so emotionaly scarred that I cant live with it anymore! ;) :D