Author Topic: Ah, so this is what Blob's Nobel looks like....  (Read 4377 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Ah, so this is what Blob's Nobel looks like....
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
 You can't hide anything when I'm digging around in the furthest reaches of the universe. Having been round a certain large person's rather nice Nobel today, I find my latent Nobel/Fuldamobil intrests have resurfaced for a while. One sniff round the internet later & I do belive I've found that our Planty is keeping an intresting discourse on his Nobel secret from us.....    ;)

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4437

:)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Ah, so this is what Blob's Nobel looks like....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:58 AM »
Well there are always other forums, I really need to do write up number 2 for them as it's been a while, I will resume this project very shortly, incidentally that's a good forum if like me you don't have much restoration experience.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
Hi Bob,
By the looks of your photos posted in the old timer mag your Nobel was even more challenged than my own.  What was that crud on the spider webs on the rust between the coil spring's coils?  Mine just came with the rust and some mud.  But its all been wire brushed and POR 15 painted followed by several coats of a Koni like red spray paint from several different angles while hanging from a low lying tree limb to look like new.  Surprisingly the shocks actually worked well despite the previous appearances.
I used smaller diameter and higher grade bolts off center and highly torqued in their through holes in the hub carriers and leaf spring holes to partially correct an otherwise non adjustable excessive camber issue on one of my front wheels.  I know from an engineering point of view this is not exactly a kosher approach.  But it seems to be working so far, and at worse will rattle loosely within these holes, but not off the car.  Got a better idea?
Have you tried making up the simple bracket I emailed you a photo of to help stabilize the steering?  It looks to be very effective in my static and road tests- but since I didn't drive it prior to these tests as it didn't seem reasonable to not correct such an obvious design flaw prior to road time- I can't know how much better it made it.  I still get the dreaded clunk/ skip of linearity of output motion on the rack when turning the steering wheel lock to lock while parked.  Looks like my higher milage (30 something thousand miles on the odo) will require me to do as you suggested and find a good machinist to bush the ends of the rack housing.
Please keep me and others in mind if that perspex rear window comes out right.  I bought some plastic polish, but it still has some deep cracks.
Never did get the needle jet/ seat assembly as I abruptly shifted all my efforts into perfecting and hopefully eventually figuring out at least a quasi legal way of registering my AZ-1.
Thanks for re inspiring me to complete the Nobel to at least the solid runner stage as I did get very close before the flashy red new girl took her place in my drive. Well at least I had a blast showing it at the Queen's English Car show in Burbank.  Nobody knew whart it was, but it seemed every body either liked or was sufficiently amused by it to make it one of the least valuable but most appreciated entrants.  If I had gotten there a little earlier it might have even gotten some sort of prize for same despite it's present lack of interior finish and non original paint scheme.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
HI Steven. Just to put matters straight, Blob is not Bob, Blob is Mike Plant [Planty to his friends.] And the pictures are of Blobs car. Mine is too complicated to talk about at the moment.  Cheers, Bob as in Bob and not Blob!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
OK Bob who is not Blob.
I guess I should have started my post with a Dear Blob- but it still doesn't sound right.
Well the car looks like a tadpole which is sort of a blob version of a frog-  so I address my last piece to all blob fans.
Just have to remember not to capitalize the b.
I will welcome any input anyone has regarding anything I post regardless of body form.
Was it Stuart that I have to thank for posting the real names? 
So hopefully some good has come of this blog about blob. :D

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
Hi Steve, it looks much worse in the photos than it actually was, though the coil springs will be changed for new shocks anyway. Nobels were never exactly kosher from an engineering point and it's funny you mention a camber on one wheel, mine had the very same problem.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
Solution to camber. Weigh in at 22 stones and it adjusts out. However I have never forgiven the last Nob I drove for real for completely ignoring the steering input to go round a mini roundabout but instead going straight on until speed had scrubbed off and then attempting to mount and mate with a keep left sign. The car was fully sorted and was returning from Kingham where it was lambasted by the 'Schmitters - indeed it was the year of filming Bubblecar Jousting. So up for sale and gone as I kind of like to know where my cars are going. Several people told me I must have been going to fast. Well if so then I think a Scammell Scarab might prove a sporting option. I have had quite a few Nobs since and made them into very nice examples - save Blobs car which I passed on - but I do not drive them. Martin Mac had the best one but he has given up on it to as much of his extended collection just perform better. Then again he is another Toad behind the wheel, believing you should press on. Indeed this super car is probobly for sale along with a brace of Bond MkG and a Mk C, Willam and early Vespa Ape Van as well is some Commi bikes, Kawasaki and a Suzuki Cappaccino, frothy man.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
I wonder if your steering pinion gear skipped a tooth on the rack like mine does when highly stressed  by a lack of forward speed while turning lock to lock- despite both the pinion gear and steering rack teeth appearing to be unworn.
I've caught mine in the act, so to speak whilst my nose was on the rack observing the mysterious phenomena.  The amount of wear in the rack housing does not seem to be sufficient to explain the tooth skip- but I can concieve of no other explanation for this disconnect of steering input to steering output.  I say this because I had already taken out the rocking couple of the rack about the axis of the steering column by virtue of a simple but effective brace that I fabricated and installed.  Can somebody else explain to me why the laws of physics  apply every where except for Nobel steering racks and within the singularity of a black hole?
So what became/ where did your Nobels go?  I hope not to the Messershmitt engine donation station.
Can you provide me with a link or email adress for your friend who has the nice one too?
Thanks,
Steve

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
Blimey, that is a question - That original none steering car went back to the York area where it was original registered - Colin Main?. Martin MacKeever had the nice one ex Leek auction, a cracker, Latest has gone to Nick at Radley, Orange one and shell to Mr Plant. There were at least another three recently - one to Blackburn area I think, another Lancs somewhere. I think the other one went to Lincolnshire. The Heinkel one with spoiler went to Portsmouth in exchange for the Goggo Shopper, or was it the other way round? The Shopper was a regular visitor here until it went into the museum where it is still. Used to commute 74 miles a day in that across the Cotswolds. Never de-Sachsed a Nob. Not what I do despite my days as a black hearted dealer in some folks eyes, you know the ones who took Sachs engines out of Nobels.....
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs