Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson drives a red Isetta on Top gear  (Read 29435 times)

Trident

• Quite Chatty
Jeremy Clarkson drives a red Isetta on Top gear
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »
Watch out for Jeremy Clarkson driving a red Isetta reg, XWV 753
Apparently he almost rolls it. ( It is a RH drive model with the engine and driver on the same side - originally these cars had a heavy cast iron weight on the left hand side to compensate the poor weight distribution, but many owners took this out as it slowed the car down)
Wonder if Isetta prices will rise as a result.
To be screened on BBC2 in July.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Jeremy Clarkson drives a red Isetta on Top gear
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:12:10 AM »
He also rolls a Reliant on it's side.
I wonder if Reliant prices will fall as a result.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »
So we take our prices from a guy who cannot drive very well and destroys cars for a very good living. It is a strange world where image is all and thinking for yourself really rather unfashionable. Sorry I will attempt to fit my round body back in my square box.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Kitty76

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
they are doing a feature on 3 wheelers,around 20 friends of mine went up to sheffield for filming where clarkson interviewed them about their cars.there are other details but im sworn to secrecy,there is also a morgan 3 wheeler featured.If you look at the pics theyve fitted a massive front wheel in order to make it tip.
As with most things they do its faked.apparently clarkson asked a friend of mine "how do you keep these on three wheels"to which the reply was "stop driving like a tit!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
The answer to three wheeler stability is to point out that several of the fastest cars in the world are - three wheelers. They do not fall over and will pee all over a Ferrangano Crevice 1071/2 K or whatever the lastest supercar crapper is flavour of the month. Take speed out of the equation therefore and with good design three wheelers work perfectly. No doubt this stability thing is to be perpetuated by TG. The clincher then is to point out that the Morgans were banned from Brooklands in the end for being to fast and upsetting the Bentleys after a lady took the lap record in one! As usual the guys with the big expensive toys and minimal skill started crying so the small guy gets chucked out. Sounds so familiar doesn't it.

I wish I could get paid a fortune for talking bollocks, goodness knows I have had enough practice! Like all these progs it does the subject matter it is based on a dis service yet claims immunity by being 'entertainment'. Sadly the bulk of the audience believe every word of it and it simply is not acceptable to wash ones hands of the effects. I have been on TV myself several times and it is a pact with the devil. I will only cooperate now if I have direct input into content. Generally some flat brain is in charge with a pre conceived plan, often featuring some impossibility since they have no idea of the topic they are filming, and I pass as I an no longer interested in 'important' people who are stupid and do not listen. Marcus could give us loads of examples I do not doubt. I seem to recall trials of a weird steam engine and a director with no patience as just one.

So I will await the great TG trike item with some trepidation.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:15:08 AM »
Of course prices wont be effected! Since when did microcar owners take any notice of that idiot! As for Reliant prices, I thought they were for nothing anyway. I said it to the leader of the G-wiz club and now to you guys, Dont lend these people your cars, it does nothing for the microcar movement! Now for years every time we stop at lights or at a filling station we will get the naive public come over and say those things tip over and are dangerous and you will be  justifying yourself owning one, all because you wanted to get your cars on the telly!

Kitty76

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »
reliant prices have been steadily rising over the last few years,the very last models are still £4000-6000 at a dealers.
I couldnt get a decent roadworthy kitten for much less than £1000 now,and most good rialtos are fetching £700 upwards.
Although all these are still very cheap compared to micro prices,i personally hope they never reach those sort of heights,as they will be out of reach of the genuine enthusiasts.

What im more concerned about is copycat behaviour and everyone having their reliant turned over in the street.This is already common,but his will just make it worse.Im certainly glad i dont own my metallic red mk2 robin anymore,as it was the same as the one he rolled.

we get people laugh,vandalise,cut us up,set fire to our cars anyway,but we keep driving them because we love them and dont care.Ive lost count of the amount of people who have told me they tip over,only do 20mph,cant go on motorways,dont have reverse gear,have a bike engine in it etc etc :-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:46:32 AM by Kitty76 »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »
Copycat behaviour? Dont you mean copykitty behaviour?  :D :D  I rest my case, all the afore mentioned things will now be worst as a result of TG and the gangs participation, still I guess if no one loaned the cars they would have gone out and bought some to wreck anyway, certainly reliants as they are still so cheap. The saying "any publicity is good publicity" is a fundamental falshood.

Kitty76

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »
Top Gear were going ahead with it anyway,and had already bought around 5 cars themselves,so if my mates with their cars can attempt to show a positive side then it can only be good.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
Lets hope so. Did you and the pals get a chance to speak on camera then?

Kitty76

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
i wasnt there,apparently they wanted northerners for some reason,but yes my friends were interviewed and shown round the cars.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
This is beginning to sound all to familiar. Northerners with flat hats and whippets driving Rollie's (actually the original joke was Bond Minicars but that would be to difficult for the Telly) and being made to look thick and stupid for the entertainment of the brain dead the world over. This is they way they work. Find someone desperate enough to be on TV and make fools of them. I would not play so ended on on the cutting room floor save for three appearances. After all Saturday evening is basically made up of this as prime time TV. It is not looking good is it?

Justify myself? No need as I walk my own path with the bye or leave of no one. Abuse, ignore it or rip into their equally useless Turdo GT, touching without permission results in a chinning. Simple rules and it has served well for 30 years and I have respect for being a successful eccentric where I live. I do not have to lock my cars. Even managed to sort the guy out who nicked a car from me 300 miles away. Just have the aura of someone who does not give a toss and they tend to leave you alone. I would far rather that than be accepted by the sort of numb nuts that think smashing stuff up is clever or ignorance fashionable. I rather thought the Microcar owner accepted this strategy, to some extent, as part of the deal in being different. I just manage to be a bit extreme because I can get away with it. Lets face it being different is difficult and getting more so but that means it is ever more worth while.

Jon Hunt

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »
Hi Al,

Yep Its Mine I've owned Her for 30years and I'm the 2nd owner, the first turned Her into a Chicken Shed!!!!!!  XWV 753  Ferrari Red Colour 155 same as my Schmitt
                                                               Jon Hunt

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »
All good practice for the Bamby filming no doubt.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »
I rarely watch TG  ( ...how often can anyone watch cars almost no-one can afford driving at high speed around a circuit?) but tonight I probably will!

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face