Author Topic: The new baby!  (Read 21196 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: The new baby!
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 08:31:43 AM »
Could I just say that I am a rejected prop and that I have not made any. It is true, I was going to be a film extra but the director said I stood out to much in the bar scene and people would not concentrate on the actors. Not sure if I am pleased or not!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
OK Bob, here is a photo of my new cover. It has big pockets for wing mirrors so a bit of customizing was required!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 01:00:51 PM »
Do I have to have that one or do they come with different faces?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 01:40:39 PM »
I did the face with a felt tip pen. The "ears" need a bit more stuffing, and the camera angle does not show it to full advantage, but it gets a few laughs.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
Another update.... I know Isettas are not rare microcars but as not much else is going on with the forum at present I thought I would keep the updates going, It may be helpful to anyone else restoring an Isetta, besides, I have always thought what was lacking from this forum was tech chat, all we seem to talk about is ebay, values and ID'ing pictures!

Slack in the steering. I found the source of this problem on my car, it was the two bushes that the steering shaft runs in under the front of the car. There is a short length of tubing welded to the chassis with a fossi bronze bush pressed into each end. The guy I got the car from assured me that it was fine when he "restored" the car so why was it total shot after only one hundred miles of driving? I discovered the answer yesterday afternoon whilst striping it down, upon removal I saw that the bushes and shaft had been cut and scored to ribbons by grit left over from when the chassis had been grit blasted!  Something to remember with all car restorations, grit blasting is great but can be a disaster if you don't make sure its all cleaned up before you start adding grease and moving parts to it, the grit sticks to the grease which makes very course grinding paste! What made this worse in my case was that the grit appears to magnetically stick to the moving parts,I kept flushing the parts with degreaser and some of the particles would just not let go! The medium must have been cold iron or something. Oh well, more expense! Still, there is no going back now, and I'm still hoping to be running around in it before the summer ends. The lesson I'm learning here is that you just cant trust someone elses "restoring", there is no substitute for doing it yourself!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 09:33:50 AM »
Interesting stuff, and a good lesson. The previous owner of DUF had done a lot of structural work, including on the petrol tank which had rusted badly. He replaced almost the entire bottom half of it with new metal, and finished it off. I installed it as was, not realising that he had not cleaned or de-rusted the inside at all. I put in tank sealer, but this obviously did not adhere very long to the muck, and fine rust sludge gradually got through the filter and eventually caused the inlet valve to seize......never trust ANYTHING on an old car!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
That is annoying isnt it. Still in my work I'm used to having to going back over other people so called restoring. Its a treat to work on sleepy thing that have not already been the victim of "someone having a go".  What brand of tank sealer did you use?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:02:01 PM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
It was my fault for not checking really thoroughly, but by that point of my restoration I was running out of time, energy and money AND I really wanted to get on the road! The initial sealer I got from the H-T club. I think it is good stuff if your tank is really clean, but in my case it just lifted despite washing it out first. When I relised the problem I cut the tank in half got it down to bright metal, had a clever friend do a fine bit of MIG welding for me, then used Flowliner from C Wylde and co.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
Ah Flowliner is what I use.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
I want a Wylde Flowliner. That really ought to be an outragious American '50's campervan.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »
Or an electric guitar, or 1930s aerodynamic car/plane/train/ship!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
 ...And here we have the perfect accesory for Bob & Thumper.   :)   Would you belive, Isetta-shaped sliippers!!!   :o  I think now, we really have seen it all...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Microcar-Bubblecar-Isetta-slippers-NEW-Vroomers-/260629492772?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caeba7424

Blue ones avalible too...

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 07:56:39 AM »
Are these made with an extra bit of instep in the right hand one or are both fourwheelers? I await Messerschmitt branded knappies and Scootacar string vests. I always said the ICR should do regalia. My suggestion was incontance pants with logo and a pair of calipers for standing in a field looking at stuff for a day without your legs getting tired.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Dear Stuart and Al

You may be interestd in the range of Rumcar branded goods that have been considerd in the past,  but rejected on the grounds of volume (or lack of)
1         Rose tinted bifocal reading glasses for all Microcar owners.
2         Extra padded trouser inserts for long (or slow) bumpy journeys in Messerschmitts and Sans Permis vehicles
3         Ear defenders for Nobel and Frisky drivers
4         Spine supports for Scootercar owners
5         Prayer wheels for Tuk Tuk drivers and passengers
6         Knee pads for long legged P 50 owners
7         Flying helmets for Inter owners
8         Brown paper carrier bags with three holes (available in three head sizes) for G wizz owners
9         Lead, passenger seat covers, for Isetta owners
10       Solar powered hats (heated or cooled depending upon the clients preference) for Trident owners.

Further suggestions for branded products are always being considered.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
Thanks Stuart, they are great!!!! Who's gonna buy me a pair? I will try and talk the wife into it.

Chris, some good ideas there. Paper bags for G-wiz drivers indeed, I take it you wont be wanting a drive of the AC at the open day then? You could bring your own bag?  :D Its no good asking you to bring a microcar of coarse! ;)

Here are a few more ideas.

Fire extinguishers for Rodley's.

Stick on turned up noses for TG500 owners :D

"I love Jeremy Clarkson " stickers for Reliant owners.