Author Topic: Isetta streering box  (Read 5459 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Isetta streering box
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
Hi. Does anyone know anything about isetta steering boxes? Is there any adjustment to take up free play?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Isetta streering box
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
where is the free play?

are you certain it is in the actual steering box and not in the tie rods for the steering?
If you turn the wheel back and forth and get zero movement from the linkage, it is most likely that the worm gear that is in the steering column is worn.
If it is worn you may have a difficult time replacing one piece or another as these tended to be a matched set from what I understand. You would have to replace them with another matched set that was not worn.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:36:55 AM »
Hi Jim. Its in the box and not the linkages though its sweet of you to think that I may not know the difference! ;) At the next rally I will go around twiddling all the isetta's steering wheels and see if there is a discernable difference.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »
KR's have pin sharp steering....!
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
Really? Last time I was driving behind you your KR was wandering all over the road in an uncontrollable fashion. ;)

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
Hi Bob
          Have you got a book called Isetta restoration by John Jensen - It contains a chapter on Isetta Steering and how to adjust an improve it - It is a very useful book - but quite expensive my copy cost me about £70 that was a few years ago - It was published in USA and most people refer to it as the "Isetta Bible", hope this is of some use to you - see you at the Hammond collection open day.
                                                                                                                                                     Mike

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
how much free play at the outer edge do you get when you move the steering wheel back and forth?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »
Hi MIke, sounds like a good book, will look out for it. By the way, thanks for the coffee and shelter at Enfield last week.

Jim. I just went out and measeure the play, the outer edge of the wheel moves one and a quarter inches before it engages. I'm a newby to isetta's, last time I drove one was 1972. I havnt driven this car yet so dont know how the steering behaves. I'm interested in what the average steering wheel free travel is on other Isetta's.

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »
Hi Bob
             I have just looked on ABE books and they have a copy of the book - I feel that it would be too expensive for you to buy as it's priced at £281.26, that a lot of money - I'll bring my copy down to the Hammond collection open day, or you can pop in to read the relavent chapter.
                                                                                                                                                                             Mike

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
There really should not be any free play in the steering.

by the way, copies ISETTA RESTORATION can be purchased directly from the publisher:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/isetta-restoration/10660689
not sure if they will ship the UK or not.

The original book had a first print run of 1000 copies I believe.  It has long since sold out and is now a collectible item.
However, it is now printed On Demand for much less.
I seem to recall that when originally printed it cost $30-40, the price went up 10 years later to $75 when stock was getting low.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »
When I get a chance I will strip it down and see whats going on.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:00:01 PM »
The steering was one of the factors that persuaded me away from the Isetta. It is a design with many links that can be a issue and to cap it all the caster action is a bit odd. Some cars have dampers to control steering wobble. They tend to have that 50's film steering. That is not to say it cannot be set up but it is not a simple assembly. I bellieve there are several differing worm sets to if you are tempted to change parts but I am no expert.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs