Author Topic: What's your fave micro? Top 3?  (Read 7854 times)

P50

• Prolific Poster
What's your fave micro? Top 3?
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
Thought I'd do a poll/thread as to what is your favourite micro is generally considered.  If you're lucky enough to own it, then great. If not, what would you have?  

I suppose usability may sway some suggestions.   But not mine, this is a fantasy league.   Some have fine styling and are symbolic of an era I mourn the passing of. Perhaps faves in the order of three?

I'll kick off.  

1  Peel Trident.  "That" Jestsons styling.  Period.  

2, TG500. magnificent rear styling coupled with a degree of usability. Many I talk to however prefer the KR200..

3, Mk1 Scootacar.  Again styling but usable.  (was a close third with a Mopetta but they actually look like a toy and a bit stupid! also like the Inter that Bob has.  Love the gyrostarter...  Was tough!)

Cheers
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
Re: What's your fave micro? Top 3?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
...and here is my hit list of microcars, Perry

1. Peel Trident  ???
2. Peel P50 hmm not always running as not easy to start  >:(
3. TG 500  ;)

aahh, sorry i've forgotten mates !!!! Scootacar urgently wanted  ??? ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:14:51 PM by Peelpower »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
Was out ot 3 Ferdi....    :-*
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 04:00:22 PM »
1.Avolette
2. Progress Tourette
3. Goggo Dart

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
my top 3

1   heinkel trojan

2   that loveley swiss belcar with 191 sachs engine

3   zundapp janus

just shows how variety is the spice of life - for me driveability has to be prime consideration , hence heinkel . also rarity , nice to be different ! not keen on the peels because of all the copies ruining the breed. but thats me . top 3's - bring em on !!
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
Don't be shy ladies..
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:45:24 AM »
1) Heinkel Trojan.      I have a Trojan.  Styling, usefulness for carrying people, shopping and drum kits, usability.

2) Messerschmitt TG 500.      Styling, performance, legend, and the ability to "wow" even those who dislike other micros

Is a Morgan 3 wheeler a "Micro"?     If not is a Blackjack Avion a micro?     If not then:

3) Rovin.  Gallic style and charm, not often seen, very cute.

Ooh, that's naughty, I disguised my top 5 to look like 3!

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
Are but which Rovin? D1 D2 D3 or D4?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
This is as much a judgement of why one owns a microcar, style, use or collectors item, as it is a list of desirable cars. Interesting though. I cannot really get away from the fact that a cars prime reason to exist is as transport. If it fails on this level it cannot really be on the list for me and maybe that makes me a bore. Also there is the fact that the concept might be brilliant but the product actually fundamentally flawed by lack of cash or an engineering problem. So do we allow redeveloped cars in?

So my fav cars are

John Bannell's Frankenschmitt at number 1. It answers all the problems of the standard KR200, is well engineered and is what FMR should/could have done instead of making the Tiger. They would have sold shed loads. It has the unfair advantage of being a Messerschmitt which is clearly one of the best cars in style, concept and execution before John improved it.

The Goggomobil is in at 2 as it is simple very good at what it does. OK a Janus is more interesting but ultimately a Goggo is a whole lot simpler to live with. The huge production run cannot be argued with. Pick of the Goggos is the Dart.

Scootacar is in at 3. It should be a MkIII ideally. This is as weird as Peels etc but unlike most of the little round cars is actually extremely usable. The appalling styling actually ends up being a factor in liking the car. With the 3T it offered the best of British with the best Villiers engine for a Microcar in the Best British microcar, for me. Sorry Bond, not a Bonder, and Berk, never had a good engine, peeps.

I own near to number 1 and getting nearer over time, 2 number twos, and as near as number 3 as I can get at the moment. Each of these cars offers the possibility of 70 MPH (though not of course a standard KR200 however it still performes with adequate alacrity to gain the honour), good brakes and reasonable ride and comfort and is thus as safe to use in modern traffic as you can get within the micro era.

Of course there is a list of top 3 fav concept microcars but that would be far harder to select and own. I would place the Heinkel in this as it should have been the best car in the group but it was never fully developed and carries several engineering faults that spoil it if you try living with it in use. With reliability it would press the Schmitt very hard and to compete with JB's Frankenshmitt it would go automatic 250cc with a re design of the front axle to sharpen up the suspension and durability and would need to be an early model with the demister etc. This is less of a period possibility as at the time autos were things like the DKW Hobby and Tina so the installation would have been rather early days for auto. Conversely the 250 MZ is right from the early '60's box of tricks.
I think the Tiger falls into this category as well. It could have been so much better but was restricted by investment constraints. That will not be a popular view but there we are.

What would I love to own or at least play with? Zundapp seems a good car. Dymexion, not really a micro! Opperman Stirling, always looked very capable. Peel Trident Trojan Mini motor V8?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
1: Goggomobil Transporter
not only very practical but quite comfortable to drive.  Driving with the doors slid back is a fantastic way to move about.
Plus you sit up relatively high and can stow piles and piles of stuff inside of it if you want.
Extremely adorable to look at, with the big =g= embossed on the front.

2: Zündapp Janus -mit sunroof
despite being rather heavy it still outruns Isettas while being able to carry 4 or loads of stuff.
I have driven many miles with a large 10x10 display tent, weight bags, several boxes of promotional material, a cooler, etc all with the doors closed.
Sunroof is a must if you intend to drive it regularly as there is almost no ventilation at all unless you close the front wing windows and open the rear to "ram" the air into the cabin.
At least the top is not plexi!

3: Peel P50 simply because it is so minimal and so silly looking.  also has a nice "face" on the front.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »
Top 3:

1. Fuldamobil S1,2,6/Nwf 200, love the enginnering and styling, only Bob thinks they look like a German helmet!

2. Paul Valee preferbly the prototype.

3. Meister Kabine K6

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 01:18:49 PM »
oh blob !! you only put that at number 3 to catch me out - come on then i will ask . WHAT IS IT ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
I do like a Meisiter Kabine.  An insane contraption with its double windscreen malarky..

To add one more I think I'd also like the Frisky Prototype..
-Benvenuto Cellini

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
oh blob !! you only put that at number 3 to catch me out - come on then i will ask . WHAT IS IT ?
http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/meister-kabine.html

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »
Being an Australian, of course my number one favourite would have to be the Dart and the Zeta Sports equally.
Number two would be the David, just great styling,
and for the hard number three spot would be any Mochet, just being back to basics.

All micros are great and so it is a very difficult choice, they cover the entire spectrum. Style, crude, modern and basic.  Please notice that I did not include any IC's even though they could be classed as a micro, they are really in a class by themselves........ :D
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal