Author Topic: Grand Frisky Line Up Malvern  (Read 19346 times)

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
Grand Frisky Line Up Malvern
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »
Hi Folks, Just a gentle reminder of the event of the year………..(stop giggling!)

Grand Frisky Line up -- National Microcar Rally               2nd-5th September - Malvern

This year we are hoping to achieve, the unbelievable , a row of Friskys! The largest ever number I can remember is four, and that was way back at Burford in the late 1970’s. If we all were able to turn up I recon we could achieve 15 plus, now wouldn’t that be a sight for sore eyes and what a grand photo opportunity probably never to be achieved again. I don’t think they ever had 15 in a row at the factory!

So PLEASE bring your Friskys to Malvern if you can only make one day then lets aim for Sunday 5th September, let me know if you can be there.

Stop Press
So far we have had eight Friskys promised, now that’s more than 10% of the world population and it is also  that the original Gull Wing shell , last exhibited at Burford in 1980 will be there.

I also know that Keith Peckmore, Gordon Bedson’s right hand man and builder of all the prototypes is intending to come

Its not going to happen again, so pull out your Frisky (sorry madam) give it a wash, as found will do just great and bring it along same for project cars and bodies.

If we don’t achieve this now, at the current rate of export there won’t be enough Friskys left in the UK to do it in the future!

Regards to you all
John

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Grand Frisky Line Up Malvern
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »
Not yet sure if I will be able to make it, but all the best with it and I look forward to either seeing it or seeing the photos here!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »
Enough Friskys to fill Three Counties! Sadly do not own one but I think these 'year of the ....' at Nationals is a good idea. Creates a lot of interest. Will any of the Frisky be the same? Has anyone got hold of the North Birmingham lot as they had a few cars, Gordon Higlett and co.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »
Wasn't planning on going, though will have to now as I'd love to see the Michelotti shell.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
Hi Mike  please come and bring one of your cars as "As Found waiting restoration" The coupe would be great as it very rare and shows how cars can end up and how lucky we are to have people like you willing to take then on to the benefit of all micro enthusiasts

Hi Big Al   I have contacted (or tried my very best to) every owner on The Frisky Register, Gordon no longer has a Frisky he is in to narrow boats, and rang me recently about the line up from his "boat" (i am sure I am supposed to call it that!)

To those of you undecided, please come and bring any "Frisky Stuff"  with you It will be the first time ever that Frisky owners will be able to get together and compare notes.

see you there

John

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »
Hi John
           do you want me to bring my Frisky engine - it is a late one from Sandwich  - Excelsior 328 complete with the cowlings?
                                                                                                                                                                                     Mike

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
Sorry John, as much as I'd love to bring the Coupe there's no way of getting it there, I don't own or have ever driven with a trailer and the brakes have seized on to.  :-[

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
Hello Goggo, thats a good idea Mike the Excelsior engine is not common in Friskys, many people have never seen one

by the way do you still have the indicator switch we talked about at the NEC.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
Gordon no longer has a Frisky he is in to narrow boats, and rang me recently about the line up from his "boat" (i am sure I am supposed to call it that!)

Crumbago, that has become a very expensive activity if your not careful. I looked at it some years back. On my way to the Huntingdon Rally I was nigh on hand in pocket for a really nice 57ft traditional job I could get a 'Schmitt in with Newbury engine. The purchase was OK but the costs were high when you worked it out and have doubled since! Only the Fens remain cheap. Friskys are cheaper and while you cannot live in one they can live with you as they are small enough to get in the French Doors!
North Brum was a hotspot for Friskys back in the day, not least being near where they were made. My old F3 is probobly still with the museum in Wolverhampton. Another is with a guy I sold my DKR Manx too in expensive Wolverhamptonland, cannot recall his name. He was doing a private collection. No idea what happened to the Groomfondle Frisky shell which went to Tri Tech.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
When I was filming at the Black Country Open Museum at Dudley a few years ago I saw a Frisky (Family/Coupe?) in their collection.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
Hi Marcus
The Yellow Frisky at the BCLM is unfortunately a "bitsa" most of the bits being wrong!

Its not a good example , particularly to have in a museum,

they have known this for years but despite my best endeavors and offer to help them get it right choose to ignore the fact

Oh well you can't win em all!!!

John

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
I noticed it looked a little sad! I have photos of it somewhere. They also have a Kieft mini racing car. Their collection is of locally manufactured items, with place being more important than quality, but even still it is a shame they are not interested in displaying it at its best. It will change if Friskys ever become valuable like Peels or 'schmitts

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
Most "Museums" are primarily set up as Tourist Attractions and have very little incentive to present things "at their best" especially if it means spending money.
Even if the value of Friskys skyrocketed, it would not be an incentive for the Museum to restore their car. 
Restoring the car would not mean more people would come to see it and pay £12 when they might otherwise have stayed away.
Well, perhaps a few people, but not enough to offset the cost of restoration.
If anything they would be more inclined to sell the vehicle to contribute to ongoing operating expenses.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Big Al

I forgot to tell you the "Groomfondle" Frisky shell which went to Tri-Tech then went to a guy who wanted it for a shop window display, it then came to me and it is at the moment residing in Brian Shaws collection of useful Frisky stuff.

John

PS sorry that was a little off topic, for those of you still undecided, its now legal to get your Frisky out in public between consenting enthusiasts!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »
It wants someone to make some chassis up so as to put these shells 'live'. I know they will be slightly fake but there must be some 20 shells looking for chassis after the back of the Kent 'factory' was cleared of shells. Since there is an effective Register for Friskys I cannot see this as a problem. Glad to know the 'Groomfondle' shell remains in circulation.
I fear the yellow museum car might be my old car which I know went to a collection. It used to belong to Martin Keene (spelling) who used to be a stalwart Micronaut. He turned it over and broke his shoulder in the process. I had it in that condition. It passed to Martin MacKeever before coming back to me. It was a Villiers F3 as far as I know.