Author Topic: Lightburn Zeta Sports prototype  (Read 5268 times)

zetasports

• Chatty
  • Lightburn Zeta Prototype owner
Lightburn Zeta Sports prototype
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »
Hello from Cairns australia
My name is Robin Heath and I have owned the prototype Lightburn Zeta Sports car for many years/

My Car is chassis number 1001 and my car has doors in the sides.

I have been researching the Lightburn history for information and wonder if anyone is interested to help with this very unusual car?

What do people think this piece of motoring history is worth as she is in original unrestored condition and I have two Messerschmitt TG500 engines in parts as well as the original body and running gear.

I wish to hear from anyone who can help with information and suggestions as I know there is a great interest in these Australian made classics from Europe and USA

Thanks Robin

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Lightburn Zeta Sports prototype
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
It shouldn't really be about what it’s worth in monetary terms as long as you enjoy your pursuit, though having only ever seen two for sale it seems they’ve appreciated little in the last decade, the last (restored) one being valued at around 14K January 2010 on eBay, though it’s long been rumored much of their value is retained in the engine. Whether the following for Zeta Sports is greater than TG’s is to be debated. :-\
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:01:34 PM by blob »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
We would welcome this car on to the Register of Unusual Microcars  particurlaly as it is so unique. Go to the main website, click on 'About the Register' learn all about us then download a Registration form (see about halfway down the page)  We look forward to hearing from you further.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

zetasports

• Chatty
TG500 was much faster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:41 AM »
The TG Messerschmitt had different gearing to the Zeta engine and so a TG will travel much faster (100mph) than a zeta 60mph.

I owned a KR180 Messerschmitt in England and that is why I have the zeta now. The TG would be frightening to drive at speed and there were many more of them manufactured.

My feeling is that FMR conned Harold Lightburn and Gordon bedson with the 50 engines and that is why the Zeta was a Failure.

It is strange that Gordon bedson arrived in Adelaide in 1959 and My car was the first one built, however it took many years to release the cars for sale.

Zeta sports cars were used at the World land speed record attempt by sir Donnald campbell in 1964 so I wonder what the link was but I have seen photos of the cars from an article I found here last night so I thank you all for your interest and helpful offers.

My car has doors and was the first test car so it is reasonable to assume that the test car was a failure and so Gordon and harold were then stuck with a huge problem!!

I know the reputation of the TG however the Zeta is still worth restoring and it was fun to drive. have a good day and thanks again Robin Heath ;D

I hope this starts a discussion and plan to restore my car as I am now sick and broke therefore I am unable to continue without some help

Looking at the Microcar Museum website last night I realised that there is more interest overseas than here in Australia wich is sad however

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:06:01 AM »
I know the reputation of the TG however the Zeta is still worth restoring and it was fun to drive.

The Nobel was once deemed an inferior vehicle, now they're getting restored, even though Messerschmitt owners nick the engines!  So in the same context, Zetas are definitely worth saving... well that's coming from someone who likes frisky's.

You could probably finance the project on the sale of an engine but then you'd be faced with the usual dilemma, would it go to a Messserschmitt owner or Zeta one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:46:16 AM by blob »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:14:16 AM »
Whats a KR180 when its at home?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:05 AM »
There does seem to be a general consensus that Lightburn were slightly drawn into having the 50 odd FMR engines. I assume the additional torque was the interest as well as price. I am not sure of the dates but the Villiers 3T was a good unit and used in the Zeta car (based on the Jarc/Astra). Would the reason they did not continue with the 3T be because Peter Agg had by that time killed off Villiers or was it another reason.
Would the Goggomobil engine be unavailable because of the rights deal with Bill Buckle. Clearly the the Zeta would compete with his Dart. Also Hans Glas had already shown his reluctance to supply the engines to other manufacturers as he refused Fritz Fend after the prototype Tiger was developed using a Goggo engine I understand.

All very interesting and the article especially so. I need to re read it to get all the info out of it!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

zetasports

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »
hello Fred
Jim Stratton's phone number is 0439673941.

Sorry to forget the number,
 jim has been busy rebuilding the car and he now has all the electrical fitted and is about to install the roof.

Is the engine number the one stamped into the case or do you want the body plate number as well as the numbers on the plate on the final drive case near the rear wheel?

I will visit jim again soon but I hope you can phone him.

I wish I could give you an idea of how much stuff is surrounding the car as Jim is a dedicated collector and he is running out of room in his yard !!

As far as I go, My depression has returned with my cars and I am better off to donate my cars and things to someone who is capable of finnishing and use them.

My work in the Taxis here makes only just enough to pay the rent and I have to say that while I have the paint and tools here I have not made any progress this year and the worry is that I will have to leave in January when my lease expires.

The same with the Zeta. The Ustore it people want the bus to go by September and I have to remove the cars or they all go to the dump!

I have no money saved and I live from day to day with the help of the dole. So I am not able to pay for the car to be finnished and I don't feel that I can cope with the project anymore.

Jim had major open heart surgery last year and I have taken to heart that I must do something before I end up the same way!!

Mentally I have reached the end of my optimisum and so I don't have a plan other than pass my collection of cars and tools to someone who would like to try to finnish what I started all those years ago.

The Zeta can go to Richard Fewster if he wishes to remove the car from the bus.
 but he is in the middle of a major building project and I cannot afford to do any more than stay here to pay the rent.

It really is a sad mess I have created. where I realise I cannot continue but I don't know hopw to get out of my situation.

Thanks for your suggestions and have you contacted Richard?

Even if the Zeta and Suzuki can be removed from the Bus ASAP I would be able to dispose of the rest however I am worried sick about the situation and feel that if the car could go somewhere at least I would only have to worry about the Triumph here.

Otherwise anyone who can come and remove my vehicles or take over the responsibility would be most welcome to do so.

I could always advertise them on Ebay and that will be the case in a few weeks time if we cannot find a solution in four weeks time.

Say second week in September. so the bus and my stuff here in Cairns can be collected before the end of september/October.

I am happy to come somewhere and help work to finnish the cars as long as someone takes over the storage, and I would rather have them stay in Australia but if we cannot achieve this then obviously one of the rich overseas collectors would be happy to come and look after them for us.

Finally Richard was in the bus in Gepps Cross Ustoreit earlier this year and he is working towards taking over the cars but I would like you to confirm the situation and I will be satisfied if the cars are removed to a safe place.

That is why I keep trying to find a solution through any means we can.

Thanks and let me know your thoughts Robin Heath