Author Topic: Molassas wonder rust remover and metal conditioner  (Read 2632 times)

zetasports

• Chatty
  • Lightburn Zeta Prototype owner
Molassas wonder rust remover and metal conditioner
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »
 ;DGood news, the other day Chris started to remove rust from my rotten old triumph car front and back mudguards  using a 10% solution of Molassas and water.

This problem of how to remove rust has been a sore point with me for all my life and now I am a convert to this slow but seemingly safe way of removing the Rust cancer with out much cost or trouble.

I have started soaking nuts bolts tools and car parts with a passion as this will mean in two weeks I should be able to prime and then paint my 80 year old car for the Bay to Birdwood car rally in Adelaide.

I am taking photos and will show the results.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Molassas wonder rust remover and metal conditioner
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
Amazing, look forward to seeing photos.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »
Phosphoric Acid? It is in Coke and also used in quite a number of rust killer products, KuRust, Trustan, Fertan I think. Nasty stuff in concentration.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »
Why not just chop the rust out and replace with new metal?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
It depends on how bad it is, where it is and if repair panel sections are available. I only do that when its gone too far and there is no other choice, if you can eat out all the rust and there is still some substance to the metal left its far better to hand on to it especially if its a curvaceous shape hard to replicate. That's my view anyway, opinions may differ.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
I agree with Bob. But more to the point if the panelling is salvageable then repair keeps the car original. Intervention with new metal is a compromise. Very often it is required but immediately the car has become less of a machine, historically, as far as I am concerned. This is the difference between conserving a car and restoring a car and the subtleties are very often confused and missed. Often conserving is far more difficult than restoration but that is not an excuse to ruin a good original car. My collection is aimed at conserved original cars. I am not interested in remade, repainted facsimiles of supposed immediate post production cars either based on original or fake underpinnings. The majority are inaccurate anyway but the soul of the car is in 99% of cases missing. I have been responsible for quite a few myself and it just is not as satisfying as owning the real thing. This means I actually like a very small pool of cars in reality and goes some way to explaining my lessening interest in rallies. Of course the limited supply of such vehicles forces folk to own restored cars and that is fine. My TG500 will not be totally real, for instance. Many folk are quite happy with their restored car but there is a trend over time to obtain originals if you start to get the collecting bug. Likewise I never understand folk who get rid of genuine original cars in favour of a differing model/type which is clearly a fake/poor restoration of inferior 'value'. You must be really despirate to own the other car as it makes no sense in collectors, and often in investment, terms. Yet people do it all the time. Once again perhaps I am out of step and take to long a view but you will need a pry bar to get an original car off me if it fits my collection even if it looks a mess.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
Bob will probably rib me over this topic, as up until recently I was solely fixated with conservation. Personally I prefer cars that have survived the test of time, warts and all, but it's difficult to replicate, so at least one of my future projects will have to go down the restoration route. The dilemma is, I’d rather hold back with the paint and not go nice and shiny, but then there’s the problem of matching it to the modern vinyl interior.