Author Topic: 10 inch tyres/12 inch tyres  (Read 12600 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
10 inch tyres/12 inch tyres
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
I am finally moving on projects including getting a AC Type 70 going. It seems Mini tyres are pretty much extinct. I need at least 8 and so far the cheapest source I have found is to buy a complete trailer wheel at £30.00, take the tyre off and fit it to my rims which seems completely ridiculous. This leaves me with useless rims, very green, though I could use the trailer rims on my trailer rather than the Mini ones. The trouble is they are inferior in design and quality. The added irritation is 10 inch wheels will not fit my tyre machine which means doing the job by hand. I have yet to clean up the rims and the best supplier in our area historically has been Micheldever Tyres so I might see what they have. However has anyone got a source of well priced 10 inch 145 section tyres?
Further irritation is that I have about 16 new 12 inch tyres I have no use for. These were got for NSUs and other projects not done. Would it be cheaper to find 12 inch rims for the AC? I can change these on the machine. No idea what they would be from, a Metro etc. have wider wheels. The section on the old wheels will be 125/135 probably.
What used to be cheap and simple is not over time. Minis seem to live on 12 inch wheels and folks prefer to stop and accelerate than handle well, how modern!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
Re: 10 inch tyres/12 inch tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
145/10 tyres are very easily available,just ask any mini or reliant owner,any mini place will have falken 145/10 tyres at around £25-28 ea.no problem whatsoever,quite a choice actually

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »
hi al

did you say that you had 125/12 tyres that you could do a deal on
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »
We use Falcon 145X10 tyres on our Isetta's Cheapest sourse is http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s346p0   £22 each. As a matter of fact I'm taking three perfectly good 520x 10 cross ply's off my car soon to fit Falcons. They could be yours for a small fee or even a large one!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:49:03 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:09:44 AM »
hi al

did you say that you had 125/12 tyres that you could do a deal on

Yes. I have several sets. I think the thin ones 125/12 are Cameo or what ever they are called. There are some 135/12 as well. I can remind myself what is there if you like. I need to keep one set of bigger ones for the Jolly otherwise I think they are all surplas really. All new, all stored in the dark. Can hang on to them till you do a Dave H or something.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:16:09 AM »
We use Falcon 145X10 tyres on our Isetta's Cheapest sourse is http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s346p0   £22 each. As a matter of fact I'm taking three perfectly good 520x 10 cross ply's off my car soon to fit Falcons. They could be yours for a small fee or even a large one!

Root had found a place in Workington, I think it was, that did them. I could collect but they only do mail out which suggests they are are a distributer and the tyres are not nessasarily there. Maybe this is the same outfit. It is the right sort of price though isn't it? I (Root) can use the old 520 by 10s but I have poor bush network over towards the East of England these days.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
am in no hurry but my original 1954 Brutsch tyres are looking a bit past there best ;) so a price for 4 or 5 125x12 please  - thanks
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »

Root had found a place in Workington, I think it was, that did them.

Yep, it was Camskill which I found, alas they're mail-order only & based in, I think, Whitehaven, Cumbria, but certainly the cheapest place I found for 10-inch tyres, being anything up to a fiver lower than anywhere else.

lindsay

• Just Starting
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows of a place to obtain 12" tires in North America do they? I'm having a monster of a time trying to replace the tires on my NSU Prinz.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows of a place to obtain 12" tires in North America do they? I'm having a monster of a time trying to replace the tires on my NSU Prinz.

Try Tirerack or Coker.  Coker is expensive but great tires.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
One can find 10" and 12" at Coker by size:

http://store.cokertire.com/8-10-inch-tire-sizes.html?adjclear=true

http://store.cokertire.com/12-inch-tire-sizes.html?adjclear=true

but, despite the description embedded in the URL above, for 8" (other than 'golf cart') one must search under Cushman:

http://store.cokertire.com/tire-brands/other/cushman.html?adjclear=true

which also shows a 4.75 x 7.75 and a 6.00 x 6, should the need arise.

197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »

If you live near David Brower I can sell you a set to go in his crate. Trouble is I forget where he lives without looking it up.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »

If you live near David Brower I can sell you a set to go in his crate. Trouble is I forget where he lives without looking it up.

Isn't it Georgia or Alabama?  Somewhere south.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »
David Brower lives in Wake Forest North Carolina

also- if by "looking for 12" tires" you mean *cheap* tires, you won't find any.
There are so few vehicles that use them the market is just not there to support any volume.
So they are essentially a specialty tire and you will pay a premium price for that.

Easy to replace the tires.  Just not easy on your pocketbook.

another thing that does not help is when someone brags they happened to find a set of "new" tires someplace for $25 ea but they are now out of stock.
Or someone brought a set in with some other stuff in a container.
This gives one hope that there are more pockets of them sitting out there someplace, and there might be, but they are not readily available and in the meantime your car will just sit while you search hill and dale chasing down a set of cheap tires.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:55:31 PM by JimJanecek »

lindsay

• Just Starting
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 02:54:59 AM »
Hmmm, yes, North Carolina is a bit far from me. I'm in Toronto, Canada. Thanks for the offer though!

I did find them at Coker Tire but the shipping and sales tax are quite steep, not to mention duty with Canadian customs! I'd be out over $1,000 USD for 5 tires! There is a BF Goodrich dealer near me, I'm going to see if he can possibly order the ones Coker sells in for me. All of the ones I've found seem to be the same BF Goodrich ones. I don't mind paying for them, but $1,000 is a little out of my budget, especially since there are also many other bits and bobs to replace!

I was hoping to spend $500 on tires but after some research that's obviously wishful thinking!

Thanks all:)