Author Topic: Peel Playtime (Beware, contains nuts)  (Read 14053 times)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Re: Peel Playtime (Beware, contains nuts)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Classic Car weekly have used a 'Library picture' to advertise the future sale of a red P50 at auction.  Unfortunately for them they have used a picture from E-Bay or Flicker of the alleged replica P50 that has been discussed at length here before.
That said I am sure the final sale price will cause a bit of further discussion in a couple fo weeks time  :o

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
I think it was offers over 10K :-[

Yeh right.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »

....will cause a bit of further discussion in a couple fo weeks time  :o

Something else might cause a bit of further discussion in a few weeks time as well hey.   ;)  (the Peel Mafia knows what I mean)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »
Classic Car weekly have used a 'Library picture' to advertise the future sale of a red P50 at auction.  Unfortunately for them they have used a picture from E-Bay or Flicker of the alleged replica P50 that has been discussed at length here before.
That said I am sure the final sale price will cause a bit of further discussion in a couple fo weeks time  :o

If this sale is promoted as one of a Peel it will be the test of the resolve of Peel Engineering to protect their brand name. If it is a known replica it is not a Peel. Therefore they can act against the seller and/or agent for infringing their brand name. That could see the sale be withdrawn as auction houses have to tell the truth - though they are very good a not doing so which is why fakes are auctioned to legitimise them over time. Peel could place an injunction on the sale. If there is a sale when the facts were in the public domain they can sue and the way is open for the buyer to do so to. If I owned Peel Engineering I would be onto this as if you do not enforce your brand ownership at each breach then the day it is important the judge will tell you that your record of protection is poor and the name has entered the public domain by general usage. Having just bought the name the new owners have a fair chance of gaining brand protection as they were not responsible for that brand protection prior to their ownership. A judge might not agree. However once a few fakes and things go by unchallenged they have bought a worthless name as a judge will find against them. It will be open season on Peel like objects with anything that shape gaining the name just as a vacuum cleaner is a Hoover.
What happened about the query about the number retention on this car?
I am now have vested interest. If anything is a Peel I submit the market will flood and real examples be swamped in fakes as it will nigh on impossible to tell what is real and what is not - see KR201, you can have a real one but not be able to prove it. Thus real versions with proof will be the valuable machines. Conversely if Peel becomes a protected name the real cars benefit as do the accurate replicas which would gain an enhanced value by honest accuracy. All the inaccurate versions would have a value based on their quality of build and kerb appeal. As I understand it Peel Engineering would have a really tight contract and set of records to protect the construction of a car looking like a Peel. It would probably therefore pay anyone making accurate fakes to take a type name unto themselves, be it The Ventnor, The Cannell or whatever. This would then become a new market area in itself. Bizarrely it could make more accurate cars to Peel Engineering yet not be allowed to call them Peels.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
Classic Car weekly have used a 'Library picture' to advertise the future sale of a red P50 at auction.  Unfortunately for them they have used a picture from E-Bay or Flicker of the alleged replica P50 that has been discussed at length here before.
That said I am sure the final sale price will cause a bit of further discussion in a couple fo weeks time  :o

If anything is a Peel I submit the market will flood and real examples be swamped in fakes as it will nigh on impossible to tell what is real and what is not - see KR201, you can have a real one but not be able to prove it. Thus real versions with proof will be the valuable machines.

Gentlemen,

My P50 has been previously restored. Just the once as I have a couple of pics of it being exhumed looking very sorry for itself on flat Avon tyres.

I could simply fix up the motor with a new crank etc but the standard of the car is not to my liking so to do the thing justice it's being done again properly and correctly. Over the years I've picked up the right bits (Dare grips Mr Scootacar!) so once done it will be as good as any other and will be white.  It was despatched from the Viking Works as a White car and then painted Yellow by Two Strokes.   So I sort of have a choice and I prefer white..

Anyway enough of winding me up!  I will be at Battlesbridge Mr Purton but Beeb shows rain so I may go in my pals Mercedes 600 and arrive like a despot in the back looking sinister!  Or more sinister than usual..  

Al,

You simply cannot compare a 201 to a Peel.   If you have a 201 door then job done instant Roadster(dunno what the fuss is I much prefer the Kabriolett. Go on then Bob you're free to pipe up as I have a Kab! but seriously I prefer the convertible.  What use are 201 side screens?)

But a Peel rep being passed off as the real mcoy?   Never!  It would take seconds to deduce it wasn't a 60's Peel if you know where to look.  Plus the mafia pretty much know every known car and its credentials.  A mug punter might get burnt but the likes of you or Lord Cyphus won't.

So we're back to skulduggery,faking and scams.  As values nudge higher then more undesirables will enter the arena. As fine art, wrong'ns will try their best but unlike a painting you need the parts. Sorry correct parts.  I've not seen a Bing 1/17/44 carb for sale for 4 years and I bought it!

All the fakes will do is thrust the bone fide cars further north value wise.  And catch out the odd unlucky sod on the way.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:14:30 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
Truth be know Perry the cabrio would have been my choice but when you find a 57 car there is only one option, and thats to put a dome on it and roast! Battlesbridge looks ify on account of my new clutch not having arrived from Germany, tomorrows post is the last chance. May go on the PuchMS50.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 07:37:03 AM »
You simply cannot compare a 201 to a Peel.   If you have a 201 door then job done instant Roadster(dunno what the fuss is I much prefer the Kabriolett. Go on then Bob you're free to pipe up as I have a Kab! but seriously I prefer the convertible.  What use are 201 side screens?)

But a Peel rep being passed off as the real mcoy?   Never!  It would take seconds to deduce it wasn't a 60's Peel if you know where to look.  Plus the mafia pretty much know every known car and its credentials.  A mug punter might get burnt but the likes of you or Lord Cyphus won't.

So we're back to skulduggery,faking and scams.  As values nudge higher then more undesirables will enter the arena. As fine art, wrong'ns will try their best but unlike a painting you need the parts. Sorry correct parts.  I've not seen a Bing 1/17/44 carb for sale for 4 years and I bought it!

All the fakes will do is thrust the bone fide cars further north value wise.  And catch out the odd unlucky sod on the way.

The KR201 comparison and what you mention is precisely why the situation is analogous. Putting a roadster door on a KR200 does not make a KR201. A genuine KR201 has quite a number of differences and fewer were made than Tigers. They are very rare and do not carry separate ID. I can tell most fakes by a quick look just as you might a Peel. But we are talking about the world market which is driving the prices. Many of the buyers will not be able to do that. An auction house will not either. Therefore a genuine car with history is at a premium as it proves what it is. In both cases if I chose to I could produce a very convincing fake even you might struggle to spot. For the right money it becomes worth it. KR201 are now making money. Putting a fake through several auctions legitimises it with a spurious history backed by Sotherby's or whomsoever. A fake becomes a convincing real car and Bob's your aunt Lucy. A number of these plus an expose will knock the market confidence. It is no different to fake art. What will be required is access to records and expertise to support a car is genuine. That puts a few people in a very powerful position. That goes a long way from a hobby.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs