Author Topic: Peel Playtime (Beware, contains nuts)  (Read 14055 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Peel Playtime (Beware, contains nuts)
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
 As Big Al mentioned elsewhere, this September weekend just past did indeed contain a spot of Peel Playtime  :) as the below photos will recount for your viewing pleasure.

Even Tinks got in on the action as ever she does, & when asked to give her opnion, duely obliged...  ::)  (Actully, she didn't really. That's bildge water empted out from several days earlier)   ;)  

Meanwhile, it would seem somebody had taken ROOT in it. Ooh, suits you sir....    :)

I can hear it now:  Anarchy in the Streets! The "wrong" people are daring to touch Peel's!  Head for the hills before it's too late. The whole fabric of socieoty is hanging by a thread......  Where will it all end?!  8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:07:56 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Peel Playtime (Beware, contains nuts)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Looks like old new stock.  Are you building it up from scratch, or rebuilding an original?
Either way, good to see that you enjoy the journey- but not so much that you never get to the finish.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »
Seeing as it is in the picture, anyone want a Mini? That bit of concrete is nearly famous as is the on hand Dalmatian. The Peel Pixies are a new addition.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Playtime? But I thought the Playtime looked like this:

197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:29:16 PM »
Oh dear.

El Capitano Cyphundo is now a member of the Peel mafioso.

Watch out... 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:43:09 PM »
   ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »
 On reflection ever more Mafia like as there are several 'gangs' now. Are we going to see Peels cruising past clubnights and presentations with tommy guns (small GRP ones of course) blazing? Puts a slightly differing spin on the title of the topic. Will that be an Isetta head or a battery on my pillow? This Peel thing is certainly getting all rather interesting even if you are not so interested in the cars themselves. With Root down the road I expect to hear a bit about it.
 It looks like I am a member of the mafia too as Root prefers a differing offer to my project pictured to base his take on Peel technology. Pity but it might work out OK as I have some leads to follow up once I have refinanced, one has been all but secured on having Roots decision. Not doing very well for someone not collecting but it is hard to resist.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
Can you lower a Peel and tint its dome to opaque a la Range Rovers tintz?

Perhaps an alloy spoiler on the back of the roof of a P50.     Surely the ultimate would be a jumping Peel with hydraulic dampers/shocks. 

Maybe not. 
-Benvenuto Cellini

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
Dear Stuart

I do hope you are not thinking of turning the P50 into a stretched Limmo (two seater) with chrome wheel spinners on the front (no point on the back) and a suited and booted driver up front (your dad).  It may be rare but I think it would not suit your image.

Chris Thomas

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

chrome wheel spinners on the front

Nah, we'll leave the chrome spinners to those fancy Trident thingys....  ;)  Along with the suggestions of tinted windows & fancy hydrulics, theres always the option of a big bore engine  ;)  ;)   (The Peel Mafia Knows what I mean) 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
That's an interesting cartoon, it appears to be based on the prototype with single front wheel. Nice one Stuart. I shall have to lift it for my scrap book!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »
Modified Peels for Stuart have been discussed. The double decked one, a tad unstable. The Limo was mooted. Since the Peel is mid engined and been on Top Git it clearly is an ideal candidate for a tune up. I reckon one of those drone Wankel engines would go in. I think they run out at some 55 bhp. So whale tail, spoiler and wide wheels a must. A Peel that can do a TG500 in a straight line? Where's Terry Moore when you need him?
The one I liked was the Big Al Peel which would be 20% larger in every way so it really only shows when in a line up. However I prefer to ultimately look to replicate the original specification as I do not really see the point in a modified Peel (is it called a Scootacar?).

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
I indeed think a larger Peel is a Scootacar. Just went for a ride round block in the Trident and it's scary. The Scoot is a pleasure. Ergo usable Peel.
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
I just wish the Scootacar had something more sophisticated than the Villiers. I am not a fan of Villiers really, save for the twin blower 3T of which I am a double fan of course. Then again there are plenty of folk who get good performance from their Villiers. Perhaps it was the supply of dodgy pistons or something but all I recall is the Bond owners happily knocking down an engine at events between them to repair some malady using spares bought in full expectation of a failure. Or is this a product of the cars then being all but worthless. I do not recall Schmitts suffering the same level of faults though. In fact the level of Schmitt failures at event seems to have risen if anything - money does not instil reliability, use does. And before you start I am as guilty as I am not using my car much, which is why I know.
The Peel on the other hand had a pretty good engine for the time. I hate to think what it would have been like with one of those horrible custard stirrers that were available in Britain at the time and infested much of our low powered equipment like lawn mowers, generators and mopeds like the Wisp. Indeed it is hard to re engine the Peel with a period engine that would be much of an improvement. You cannot say the same for a lot of Microcars.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
I just wish the Scootacar had something more sophisticated than the Villiers. I am not a fan of Villiers really, save for the twin blower 3T of which I am a double fan of course. Then again there are plenty of folk who get good performance from their Villiers. Perhaps it was the supply of dodgy pistons or something but all I recall is the Bond owners happily knocking down an engine at events between them to repair some malady using spares bought in full expectation of a failure. Or is this a product of the cars then being all but worthless. I do not recall Schmitts suffering the same level of faults though. In fact the level of Schmitt failures at event seems to have risen if anything - money does not instil reliability, use does. And before you start I am as guilty as I am not using my car much, which is why I know.
The Peel on the other hand had a pretty good engine for the time. I hate to think what it would have been like with one of those horrible custard stirrers that were available in Britain at the time and infested much of our low powered equipment like lawn mowers, generators and mopeds like the Wisp. Indeed it is hard to re engine the Peel with a period engine that would be much of an improvement. You cannot say the same for a lot of Microcars.

I agree.  However my verdict is the Villiers engine is tough as old boots and will accept abuse all day.

You can rev the nuts off it and smash it through the gears and it doesn't moan.  It's a very agricultural engine and smokes like a navvy but I liken it to an Austin  B series engine.  Not terribly sophisticated, efficient or refined but reliable.   The Amal carb doesn't even have an idle adjust screw relying on the cable adjuster. Thus the idle will never be constant due to variable such as heat and wear etc. Mine does idle but it's no sewing machine like the Bing equipped Sachs unit. 

The KR motor is much sweeter using higher quality materials and build.  They sing on a motorway or A road and once warm produce minimal smoke. However they are on the limit of power versus application and tend to suffer from various maladies. I keep thinking something will go catastrophically wrong with mine but after 12k miles it soldiers on perhaps with 5% less power. I worry about the clutch bearing, primary chain, big end and fragile recalcitrant gearbox. 

The Peel engine is a jewel.  With 49cc it has 4.2 PS. The KR with 191cc has 9.4 PS so it's plain to see the DKW motor is much more highly tuned. Mr Cannel went for this motor for that very reason.    It has a lovely gearbox and seems to enjoy being revved to death which is what you have to do in a Trident.  The Bing 17mm crab is also a nice unit and has an idle screw. The Peel engine however does seem to smoke quite a lot with the usual 25ish/1 mix.   The Peel is like a Morgan Aero 8 (stay with me here!!) i.e., a mass produced German engine in a handmade and handsome low volume body!    As Al says, should it have had a Brit 50cc moped lump it would have been an even worse machine.  You can't really say they would've not sold on that basis because they, err, didn't anyway with a total of perhaps 130 units of both models.   

The Scootacar is the link between a Peel and say a Treinkle or Isetta.  Bonkers but usable.  With what appears zero availability I predict values to follow the Peel. In fact what is the value?  Like Peels they never come up so no one knows what they achieve.     I value them much to Bobs chagrin as way in excess of a KR.

-Benvenuto Cellini