Author Topic: Siba units  (Read 13924 times)

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
Siba units
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:03:55 PM »
Hi all,
I need to know what to charge for a Siba Dynastart unit,and wether the Bond Minicar type would be the same as Schmitts etc
kind regards,
Dan

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Re: Siba units
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:28 PM »

I need to know what to charge for a Siba Dynastart unit,and wether the Bond Minicar type would be the same as Schmitts etc

£20 for one in sound condtion that fits a bond, however the same one for a schmitt is worth £300.

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »
how can i tell the difference?ive got 4 of them together with a whole pile of minicar parts which i need to sell,so any advice welcomed

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
I assume it is a reversing one. You can check the numbers on the Siba parts listing but it might be that the Stator will adjust to fit a Sachs, not all do as the spacing of the inner mount is different. The Villiers flywheel has a differing taper and it would depend if it is a detachable centre as to if it can be converted to Sachs simply. I have a brand new reversing dynastart for a Villiers which I eBayed and failed to get £100. Since I have subsequently bought a Scootacar with reverse I am not selling now. But the difference in price between what is in principle the same unit between Villiers and Sachs is quite amazing. To be honest I would suggest it is better to use the unit as a barter item as Viliers buyers do seem a bit stingy on price (or is everyone else overpaying!). I still have the new Excelsior Siba unit too since no one wanted to buy it. This will be bartered at a suitable time as I have no planes to have an Excelsior machine in the collection.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
how can i tell the difference?ive got 4 of them together with a whole pile of minicar parts which i need to sell,so any advice welcomed

Quote the numbers stamped on the individual units and we might be able to ID them.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
thanks for that Al,am i right in saying you might know of a Nutshell caravan?im still after one

ive got a large pile of minicar bits to sell,as they are of no use to me,all F and G,3 windscreens and rubbers,2 fuel tanks,2 steering wheels,one gearbox,4 siba units,one exhaust,dashboard,front and rear shocks,door,quarterlights,etc etc etc

Dan

also,just noticed you have a Reliant,any more info?

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »
Villiers engines from Bonds (MkD onwards) Scootacar, Frisky & Tourette (won't mention Invalid carriages as these don't count  ;D, right bob ?) were fitted with Siba dynastarts and the rotors can be identified by the redoxide paint.  Recon ones fitted to the unmentionable vehicles above were painted in a dark green hammerite.
That said early Messerschmitts and Heinkels very also fitted with Siba units that were also in the redoxide colour.  Later Bosch units were painted light green.
If the stator has 3 heavy duty wires then they are single direction and from a Bond.  5 wires are unidirectional and could be from any of the above.  One last possible means of identification is if they are 5 wires and have a rubber block joining all the wires close to the brass tags then they came from a vehicle with a black box which Bonds did not have.
As Big Al said, the internal diameter of the rotor is the only way to determine for sure but the above might give you some ideas.

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
thanks guys,i shall get some photos later in the week and some measurements and see if you can id them,would be great because i dont want to sell them as something they arent
Dan

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »
thanks for that Al,am i right in saying you might know of a Nutshell caravan?im still after one

ive got a large pile of minicar bits to sell,as they are of no use to me,all F and G,3 windscreens and rubbers,2 fuel tanks,2 steering wheels,one gearbox,4 siba units,one exhaust,dashboard,front and rear shocks,door,quarterlights,etc etc etc

Dan

also,just noticed you have a Reliant,any more info?

No idea if the Nutshell is still there as I saw it when the Microcar Museum was moving on a trailer, itself?, on one side when I was collecting my silver Schmitt. It may have been dumped or sold as it was flat packed and probably pretty low on the priority during a mega move.

Like I say you can ID Siba parts from the part numbers stamped into them. There are some quite weird ones like the boat engine versions that do not immediately fit anything else. I have one and it has a raised boss on the flywheel to bolt it in place, in green hammerite, so a late production item and not on my list specifically. Dolphin's Mr Chapman IDed it for me and one day it will find a home. It would be quite interesting to collect all the different versions of dynostarter. No? Oh well perhaps its just me.

The Reliant is an engineless early Saloon which I think is a Mk5. It was to be scrapped after loosing the engine to a racing car (so that is 20 years at least) but it has been in the shed long enough to now be collectable. It is not that bad really and I know for an engine though a later 850 apparently fits reasonably simply which would be fun. I know where there are several more. Given that I am soon to clear and scrap most of the cars in that shed I can re-pack it with the few things worth hanging on to. Then no doubt I will slowly pick up more limping and decrepit machines having the space to store them. It is a cyclical process but you do end up with some totally useless stuff once you have removed the parts you want or discover some huge reason why the car is past saving. Why are you interested in the Reliant?

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
Hi Al,
Yes I would be interested in saving the Reliant should it be time for it to find a new home,im a total Reliant enthusiast and have already owned a mk3 drophead(currently doing the liege-brisca rally abroad) and the sole known surviving mk4 van.
Been looking for a later sidevalve to put on the road for rallies,using my 92 Robin as daily transport.Ive got many contacts who own sidevalves and are busy restoring them so can get hold of the correct engine and box fairly easily.
If you did want to sell it(rather than scrap it)i would be very interested(btw,im a long time friend of Lord Cyphus if that gains me any brownie points haha ;D)

regards,
Dan

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
a long time friend of Lord Cyphus if that gains me any brownie points

Probaly quite the opposite  ;D.  Are you a member of the IC mafia ? as that might help

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
 Opposite of Brownie Points?,

Yellowy Points?
 Bluey Points?
 Pink-&-purple-spotty Points?

Crumblie cake Points?

(This has now been officially verified as the silliest post ever posted on this forum. I'm so proud!)   ;D

Is Ol' Dangle an IC Mafia member? No he isn't.   8)   Dammit, he woun't even sign up to Conveyancer!   ::)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
   Dammit, he woun't even sign up to Conveyancer!   ::)
I think a vist from the mafia is required.  Isetta head on your pillow I fear

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
im a purist,i only want to see blue fibreglass bodied invalid carriages from the 50s,60s and 70s,conveyancer has too much modern rubbish(sounds like a letter to Practical Classics lol)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »
Opposite of Brownie Points?,

Cub V's or Scout's finger?
IC mafia, a false leg for you, sir!

Roly is not to be scrapped, it has survived long enough to be worth money or to be a project, whichever is most interesting to me. The benifit of remote shedding. You can make me an offer I cannot refuse. Sorry getting carried away with the mafia thing.