Author Topic: villiers twin engine - discuss  (Read 7998 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
villiers twin engine - discuss
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »
thats discuss not discus  ;) although a lot of these topics do go around an around !

the villiers twin engine - does anyone have any experience of these ? I am to start rebuilding my Bond G with the twin engine . in Bond circles the 250 villiers single engine is MUCH preferred to the 250 single. the twin is always derided and i would like to know why before i rebuild the original engine and then find they were right all along.
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: villiers twin engine - discuss
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »

although a lot of these topics do go around an around !

I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning....   Tommy Roe, 1969.   ;)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:31:55 PM »
The 4T twin when new caused a lot of excitement for Bond owners.  Known as the 60/60 Bond, they claimed 60 to the gallon at 60PMH.  Alas that was not quite true and a result many Twin owners converted their cars back to singles. Bonds were supposed to be cheap to buy and run but a Twin was neither.   Very few Twins were in regular use until 5 years ago when there was a resurgences in interest.
The main problems are : centre seal on the cranks goes with age or lack of use, pistons, other than standard are near impossible to find these days, there are 2 of everything to go wrong ! and the fuel consumption is really poor.
That said my Twin goes like a rocket and is silky smooth with it.  I drive it every where and it has yet to let me down.  I took it to Jean's rally last year then drove it to the Isle of Man and back fully loaded with no probs.
I much prefer the 3T as fitted to the Frisky Sport and Scootacar Mk3.  Much more power and similar fuel consumption.  I was always toying with the idea to fit a 3T into a Bond.
No excuses for not getting yours on the road then Richard.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:39:21 PM by scootacar »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
thanks for that scootercar must call in and see you one day when on my way up to inverness. do tell me just what is the difference between a 2T, 3T and a 4T. does anyone understand the villiers numbering system  ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
This was my understanding of the twin verses the single. I believe the twin eats tyres on the front of a Bond faster to. Bonders were always cash conscious.
Times change as does use of our vehicles. A twin is now perhaps more viable as many a Micro does less than 500 miles a year so fuel con suption is really rather negligible against additional speed in modern traffic situations. Thus I would love a Scootacar Mk3, burn baby burn.
Big Al
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs