Author Topic: imperial/ metric  (Read 3029 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
imperial/ metric
« on: October 03, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
found some old (between the wars) booklets on this matter and i hope this clarifies the matter. CLEAR AS MUD
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: imperial/ metric
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
All makes perfect sense Richard.

Here's a strange thing, in the tech spec pages for my Ydral engine [they don't come anymore French that this]  that's in my Inter all the dimensions are in metric followed by many decimal points , nothing comes up in round mm figures. I did the conversion and it appears the whole engine was designed in imperial!  :-\   I can only assume that engine designers borrow all the tolerances and stress calculations from existing motors.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:33:04 PM by Bob Purton »

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »
What ever happened to the old French word, Avoirdupois which was the english speaking world's measuring system.  Is this the same as Imperial that you are all mentioning? ???

Also, who did invent the decimal time standard? ;D

Plus the other french standard  Troy we all still use today.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:48:28 PM by cuscus47 »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
I believe Troy is still used in UK by Goldmiths.
 And Trojan owners?!

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
If you look at the wikapedia page it explains itall. The Imperial system was based on it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoirdupois

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
Dear Bob

The Wikipedia chart is excellent and shows the connection between the pound weight and the pound money.

12 penny weights to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. So presumably the currency was the equivilent weight of perhaps gold at one time, which has since changed in value due to inflation and revaluation of our currency.

According to the chart the slang for a certain quantity of money should be £2000 for a Ton.

Very interesting

Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Dear Bob (Shilling)

Silly me, Of course one pound in money was the value of one pound of silver (not gold) hence pound stirling (silver)

Now I understand why brides were valued by weighing them to determine their dowery.

I am glad that tradition has died out (seing as my daughter is due to get married soon).

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
having got married fairly recently i better say nothing  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977