Author Topic: New single seater VW  (Read 5600 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: New single seater VW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »
If you mean the Music, no. VW have taunted us with these things before. My worry is by the time the make it it will be an electronic nightmare. Their latest stupid idea is push button handbrake. Fine till you park on a hill or need to move a batteryless car. We do not need crap like that. We need a simple car without gizmos that does the job and continues to do it. Not a lot to ask for. So we wait to see, I expect if it is any good we will not be allowed to own one because we are European.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »
Looks like the scooter/cockpit they made 20 or so years ago, and they have made several other high MPG teasers. This one is "not a concept' but will be on sale for $600. Yup, and pigs will fly. Of course I hope it happens and I want one, but cannot help being highly sceptical.

My doubts are re-inforced by the appalling grammar and syntax in the subtitles:  "Totally, after you WILL HAVE read all the details..." is one of the worst constructed sentences I have read for quite a time! Why not "You will be, after you have read all the details"?

Also I agree with Alan (again!) the music is horrible and far too loud.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Well it exists because of the pictures but I dont believe the blurb especially the $600, I'm thinking maybe that is a misprint and should be $6000. About the horrid music, what would you suggest Marcus? Some uke music maybe, Joe Brown, See you in my dreams? Too loud? Now you are sounding like my parents! Sadly I dont have it anymore but my favourite amp used to be my old Vox AC30, its a one sound amp if you discount the tremelo and the only way to play ones Gibo ES335 dot through it is with all the knobs on 10! I digress! About the VW, I think concept car is EXACTLY what it is.

Oceanix

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »
My doubts are re-inforced by the appalling grammar and syntax in the subtitles:  "Totally, after you WILL HAVE read all the details..." is one of the worst constructed sentences I have read for quite a time! Why not "You will be, after you have read all the details"?

Well, that sounds like a direct translation from German thinking into the English language... Bare with us, we Germans will learn English sooner or later...  ;)

In addition this is not "headquarted in Hamburg". It is a study car (see license plate) developed under the former MD Piech, who drove it to exhibitions and conferences for years following the political desire for less fuel consumption. Other than stated, it is a two-seater. The project was dropped as to the high price of the car, which was equivalent to 10000€. I doubt price could have been lowered to just 5% in 10 years....

The car exists, You can see in the Autostadt in Wolfsburg - it sits there in the Museum.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:00:51 PM by Bob Purton »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:05:29 PM »
this has been traveling around the world in an email for several years now.

I still get people forwarding it to me thinking I will be interested in it. 
They don't believe me when I tell them it was a prototype made more than a decade ago and it is not coming to market.

"But it says it will cost $600! it is right there in the email!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:01 AM »
 Club together and get Andy Carter over to Wolfsburg with a supplied diversionary tactic so he has a bit of time to himself. Might not be $600 but there would be more chance of it becoming available!
 It is probably to expensive because of the rubbish gadgets that is insisted be put in it. Somewhere the idea of a car as transportation has been lost to status cymbal (with added Marcus) with added inability to think for oneself. You only have to see what Indians turn simple vehicles into to see what they are really for. Somewhere between the two lays a sensible transportation solution for an overcrowded island. It does not have to cost a lot of money. Sadly I think if an option was created that could be successful the vested interests would see that it was legislated off the road. That is why we are still burning petrol and get offered inefficient electric cars as a sop to green alternatives. The technology exists to do a lot better but who makes money out of it? We are stupid and greedy enough to snuff ourselves out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:30:49 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2934869/new_single_seat_vw/

What do you make of this?

This is a new posting of an old story with some speculation thrown in. The car shown is the 2002 version of VW's 1L concept car. This has now become their L1 concept car

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen-world/futures/l1concept

http://shanghaiist.com/2009/07/22/vws_258mpg_car_rumors_not_quite_rig.php
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"