Author Topic: NationalMicrocar Rally 2011  (Read 8714 times)

chrispbug

• Occasional
NationalMicrocar Rally 2011
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »
The Bug Club will host next years rally at The Atwell~Wilson motor museum, Calne Somerset on September 01st – 04th 2011
It was also agreed that at the 2011 rally we are going for a world record of the most Micro cars in one place, the last record was set on September 7th 1986 at The National Microcar rally held at Cotswold wildlife park, Burford with185 cars this was excepted as a record by the Guinness book of records.
This year (2010) we had 133 cars, so we only need 53 more, to break the record.
Since the rally was held at the museum in 2008 (the wet one) they have had the field fitted with land drains and a gravel road laid around the field and into the top field as well, so if it should rain we will now be ok. (Sorry no Tractors) anyhow it is going to be hot and sunny this time?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: NationalMicrocar Rally 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
 Book the ICR in then, with Invacar Model 70 & Car X....

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »
The venue deserves a second chance. The weather interfeared with the first attempt so preventing the Bugs showing what they could do for their smaller buddies. From the damp they still produced a good event, in my opinion, as it would have been easy to let things get out of control.
Somewhere I have my certificate from the world record Peter Green set up with me as side kick. It has, or I have, a list of cars attending I think. We only included Microcars, though I seem to recall a couple of contentious inclusions, so 185 is going to be very hard to beat on the previous inclusive list. Then again 25 years changes things and what was not perhaps Micro now is, like Reliants, and others had not been invented! Many of the 185 cars would have driven the 15 miles from campsite to venue or from home to venue on the day (Does 200 cars mean 133 campervans? Bit of a squeeze.) Would that we could recreate that again as it was an impressive thing to be involved in even as a minor cog.  I have a feeling it was that year I had a Schmitt and friends barbecue at 56 to entertain our foreign visitors on Sunday evening. Some 50 peeps turned up with microcars scattered across the road outside. Happy days.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
personally i think that a record should be attempted for the largest number of microcars driven to the event. ;D

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »
Dear Dan

Great Idea. Make the trailer park half a mile up the road so they have to drive the Mircrocars down to the Museum site.

Chris Thomas

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
wasnt quite what i meant but i can see your thinking,in my world i would love to see people drive their cars,from their house,to the rally(peels etc excepted of course)these days though a lot of owners are either too old or too soft to do that,so i think that your idea of having them at least drive into the rally is a good one,much better to see them actually in use rather than a damp field full of static,dead exhibits

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »
much better to see them actually in use rather than a damp field full of static,dead exhibits

It would be nice to see the cars get used too now the owners are getting past it!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:02:15 AM by Trident »

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:52:11 PM »
 Personally I don't care if they were driven or trailered, just so long as they're there to see at the end of it all. Just get them there. any way you can!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »
That assumes that taking a car is motivated by the wish to exhibit. That is not my motivation. I really would rather most people did not poke and prod my cars other than the few who know what they are doing. I do not like public access shows, now a disincentive to attend unless for a good reason. The motivation is to enjoy minimalist activity with like minded individuals. BUMS runs are exactly that. That includes driving the cars.  A factor I have singularly failed to achieve for sometime. Hence my poor showing as a day visitor even. Camping, well you know all about that from my perspective.
However stating that it is an attempt to get all the remaining Freeble Minster 250cc machines left in the world is a reason to take a static vehicle to an event as it does achieve something. By grouping them together it instills extra will to restore and contacts to help do so. A constructive gathering of like minds. Thus I thought the Frisky line up an excellent idea. Which marque of car is it to be in 2011?
The other motivation to take a non functioning wagon is to sell it! However selling at a National is not the same kind of enjoyment as active participation as using a working car. While I enjoyed some success doing autojumble I now rue the missed runs to and from the event with chums and during the weekend because of it. Still you cannot have it both ways and it is one of the costs of trading. On ceasing trading I have found that the events have become less user orientated. I missed the chance by trading.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »
great idea the gathering of survivors thing but there are few candidates really arent there. maybe Fuldamobiles and variants - nobel, fram etc. , possibly Gordons but there are only five . There are only two Brutsches other than mopettas ,and how many of them are ther in the u.k.maybe comtesse or the like ? there arent really that many candidates are there ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
Year of the Goggo, Scootacar, Vespa, Velam, fake Peel, Bond MkA, Anzani cars, etc. was what I was thinking.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Bamby's?  ;)  :)

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »
afraid the national microcar rally clashed with a reliant rally for me,and knowing that reliants arent always that poplular at microcar rallies,instead of driving the 15 miles to malvern i drove 185 miles to the Lincolnshire East Coast in my Robin for the Reliant rally,then 80 miles to a friends in Nottingham,then 135 miles to another mates in Norfolk,then 220 miles home to Worcester.
Being my only form of transport i dont mind doing the miles in it.