Author Topic: Messerschmitt KR175  (Read 9105 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Messerschmitt KR175
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:42:18 AM »
Just agreed the purchase of a rather sad KR175. This puts me back into looking at restoring at least one of these cars to complete my 'set' of Messerschmitts. Being as I have got about one and a half cars (two ids) with another one to check out it struck me to post in case anyone has a dead, or part of a dead KR175 they are not planning to restore as I can perhaps include it into the collection of bits and create three cars out of the stuff. I like the idea of having a pretty standard early car and a late one with the extras, some of which I have. The main bits missing are a chassis/tube and a lifting section door. A reversing box would be handy, attached to an engine or otherwise.
Of course I would go for a whole KR175 but I would probably not be able to finance that at the moment. If so then I would still look to do at least one other car but my additional parts would be surplus to another restorer of these interesting but disregarded Messerschmitts.
One downside is no domes so there is serious expense to be put in that cannot be got round. However I am doing these for myself so I do not care to much as that is the way it is and at least it is possible!

Off to a Tatra breakfast meeting just down the road from Root now. Be over by the time he is up! Tatra biggest Microcar ever made?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Messerschmitt KR175
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
 Are you insuniuating that I'm a late riser!   ;D  I arose at 11.37 today, mainly becuse the cat wanted a lie-in & wouldn't get off me.  ::)Mind you, I find the night hours better for getting on with things these days, such as Conveyancer & reports for RCN etc. You can tell I've not had any work since April....

Just agreed the purchase of a rather sad KR175.

Not the Manky Messerschmitt from Prauge surely!!!!   :o   ;D      The Caledonian region of the MOC fitted a brand-new dome to thingy-doo-dah's 175 a few years ago, which was charted in Kabinews. Would that dome have been a one-off or part of a bulk order?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
Charles Gould from the us [you probably met him Stuart] organised a batch of 175 domes a while back. A costly business I would think!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »
Hieko Zimmerman has had stock of the domes and associated rubbers but due to numbers it is an expensive process. Like the Peel Trident the top is pretty much the top third of the car so there is little choice than to spend out if you want a nice car. Have to save my pennies are sell a Schmitt to finance these restorations.

I was on the threshold of Lidl at 11.37am after an interesting Tatty meeting, a play with a 77 and chat to the Editor of Crashit Car Weekly which had Schmitts in it last week. Cats have a lot to answer for in the countries economy clearly. Perhaps they need taxing?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »
Dear Al

Have I missed a vital piece of information or something.

I know that lidl is a german owned shop (my second favorate supermarket) and Mr Zimmerman is probably German. Is he or has he started selling KR 200 domes via Lidl? "Tatty meeting", does this refer to some secret society you belong to? Play with a 77 is this a Daf you are working on? Cats have a lot to answer for. Is this Catalitic converters, or Jaguars, or a neighbours animal that has annoyed you and wish to have neutered. And what has this to do with a KR200. Can anybody fill in the spaces for me?

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:55:52 AM »
I think Tatty referes to Tatra, I know he is partial to them. Mr Zimmerman is Heiko Zimmerman a schmitt parts man, the rest is gobbledegook to me. If you like doing the times crossword its worth reading Als posts, lifes too short! :D :D

Its ok, I'm over a mile away and I've got his shoes! :D :D

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:21:22 AM »
Dear Bob

I think I am starting to get it. The Tatra owners club hold their meeting in a branch of Lidle's and on his way out of the car park he crashed into a car magazine editor in his Daf 77 whilst trying to miss a black cat that ran across in front of him on Haloween.

By jove I think Ive got it.

Thanks Bob I just needed that first bit of information to get me started.

Chris T

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »
Very good Chris. Thats got to be more interesting than the real story!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
Hieko Zimmerman has had stock of the domes and associated rubbers but due to numbers it is an expensive process. Like the Peel Trident the top is pretty much the top third of the car so there is little choice than to spend out if you want a nice car. Have to save my pennies are sell a Schmitt to finance these restorations.

I was on the threshold of Lidl at 11.37am after an interesting Tatty meeting, a play with a 77 and chat to the Editor of Crashit Car Weekly which had Schmitts in it last week. Cats have a lot to answer for in the countries economy clearly. Perhaps they need taxing?

I get accused of being long winded but shortened messages fail, you cannot win unfortunately.
The second para is directed at Stuart, who as I predicted, was abed as I was out at the Tatra, TRUK, breakfast, which was why I did not suggest he attend. On the way home I went shopping at Lidl - re arranged shop for Chrimbo and gone down market... The time coincided with the quoted raising of the Trog, Root, from his bed. His excuse was the cat, hence are cats responsible for unemployment as Root has not worked since April due to cat pressure. A 77 is a rare Tatra.

Did you know that Lidl head office is at Neckarsulm, home of NSU when they were independent? Is a Tatty 99 actually not a badly presented ice cream with a flake in it but a DAF 66 Marathon upsidedown in a wintry ditch? Is Halloween actually a fine ancient tradition perverted into a nasty American greed based marketing exorcise encouraged by paedophiles? My 'trick' was to load the drive with a weeks worth of saved dog bombs to stop the swine begging at my door with pre-aged parents smelling of Werthers Original (only just invented tooth rotters of no merit or taste whatsoever just like Trick or Treat, yurg!). It worked! Go make a Guy like we used to to get money, lazy kids. Bah humbug! Bah Everton mints! Mmm, Callard and Bowser's butterscotch!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
Tatras are indeed fascinating cars, and in the 30's their Chief Engineer Hans Ledwinka designed a great compact family car, with a flat platform chassis, air-cooled rear-mounted 4 cylinder boxer engine, and a rounded beetle back shape, does that sound familiar? Ledwinka had a meeting to discuss setting up a factory in Germany, with Ferdinand Porsche and that infamous dictator with the dodgy moustache. They copied the design to make the VW Beetle. The same moustachio'd dictator also decided that Austrian Siegrfried Marcus was to be deleted from all records as the inventor of petrol-powered cars, and that Karl Benz would be listed instead.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
Would that be on account of him being Jewish? Are you named after him Marcus?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
I think he was half Jewish, I doubt my parents ever heard of him, and we are not Jewish, but I do get fed up of MB endlessly claiming that they invented cars. They were the first company to start producing cars for sale.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
Not wishing to sound picky but it's Siegfried Marcus (he gained an extra r in Marcus' post) and he put a petrol powered engine on a handcart. http://www.siegfried-marcus.net/index.php An important stage in the development of the car undoubtedly. I can't find any reference to the engine size, but from the look of the dimensions could this man have invented the microcar?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:54 AM »
Well as "Car" is short for "Carriage" I reckon that makes Nicholas Cugnot's Fardier steam wagon the first car anyway, and over a century before Benz. Then in 1801 Richard Trevithick's Puffing Devil and 1802 London Steam Carriage were the first self-propelled vehicles to be used on public roads. Like Marcus's, the first Benz was also little more than a powered chassis. Marcus made 3 cars, the last was the best, was still made before Benz, and can still be driven. Some people try to claim that Benz was the first car because it had a petrol engine, but as plenty of cars have been made and sold with diesel, steam and electric motors it, it is clearly neither the engine size nor the number of wheels, nor the size that determines what is a car. In UK we had the infamous "Red Flag Act" to control motor vehicles on public roads 20 years before MB "invented" them! If MB could only be happy with First Car Factory I would have no problem!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »
I found this quote amusing, an act that was never passed but which required cars be dismatled behind the bushes so as not to frighten horses! Only in America!

In the United States, the state of Vermont passed a similar flurry of Red Flag Laws in 1894. The most infamous of the Red Flag Laws was enacted in Pennsylvania circa 1896, when Quaker legislators unanimously passed a bill through both houses of the state legislature, which would require all motorists piloting their "horseless carriages", upon chance encounters with cattle or livestock to (1) immediately stop the vehicle, (2) "immediately and as rapidly as possible... disassemble the automobile," and (3) "conceal the various components out of sight, behind nearby bushes" until equestrian or livestock is sufficiently pacified.[1] The bill did not pass, as Pennsylvania's governor used an executive veto.