Author Topic: Peel in the USA (Top gear)  (Read 3833 times)

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Peel in the USA (Top gear)
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
Re: Peel in the USA (Top gear)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/peel-hits-usa-2010-11-08

when will peel publicity stop??!!

Maybe never ever! Anyway, i love this photo seeing the Scootacar surrounded by snow !

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:04 AM »
Wouldn't most of those activities been simpler from a tuned up mobility scooter or a Scootercar? The Scootacar has the benifit of a very large mantelpiece to put things on, like shopping, a full curry or chinky and if a Mk1 you can play table tennis. Sorry Peel does not cut the mustard, Scootacars are it, bring on the replicars and I bags starting Hunslet again.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »
Wouldn't most of those activities been simpler from a tuned up mobility scooter or a Scootercar? The Scootacar has the benifit of a very large mantelpiece to put things on, like shopping, a full curry or chinky and if a Mk1 you can play table tennis. Sorry Peel does not cut the mustard, Scootacars are it, bring on the replicars and I bags starting Hunslet again.

Scootacars are indeed the ones (oops sorry Bob as you get heated under the collar as I plug my machine. Do you think my postings on this underground forum will launch a Scoot to a Peels dizzy heights?).  They sit between the mainstream 3 wheelers and the Peels. 

Public voted with their wallets.  With 80K KR's, 800 odd Scoots Mk1's (dunno how many Mk2's and the 3 was a mere handfull).  140 Peels.

So Mr H are you bagging the brand?  Let's be honest it's pointless. So much crap has to be passed for SVA etc that it's a waste of time....
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »
Feel free to plug away Perry! Its all quite transparent. I cant see scootacars being relaunched as a brand like Peels though because they dont look cute and have little thats unique about them, Peels being the worlds smallest blar blar at least sets them apart as special. I have never driven a peel but have owned two scoots and here is my for and against opinion /summery.  For....curios looks [mk1] hydraulic brakes, quite perky performance, like the saddle seat arrangement,quite like Villiers 9/11e.  Against...ugly from the rear view, very noisy and rattly, silly and week undamped front wheel suspension setup, I cant remember in detail but seem to remember noting that there wasnt a lot actually holding the wheels on the car! All doors flare out at the bottom as if they have had a row with the sill! I'm guessing they didnt come out of the factory like that but never the less are all the same now.Prefer metal bodied cars. Overall view, I luv em!!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »
I love the rear view of a mk1.  Looks great with the flared arches sticking out.

Each to their own...  But yes very unrefined and lack of dampers is very odd.

A Trojan/Isetta  is superior dynamically but I care not.  I put up with its inferior aspects for it's wacky aspects.

-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
Perhaps dampers are for whimps. It did came from Yorkshire where men are tough.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
What about the bottom of the doors flaring out, do they just go like that with age?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:02:12 PM »
What about the bottom of the doors flaring out, do they just go like that with age?

No. They fitted tight when new.

But the correct rubber seal is NLA so you put on what you can get.   Some leave the bottom bit off.

1, Who goes out in the rain in a Scoot?

2, I think another rattle is the last of ones worries.

3, Referring to two the bigger problem is the door falling off. As most Bubblecenti (a new word perhaps based on congnoscenti?!) know, the top hinge is very weak and fractures at the pin.

Alll part of the fun.   
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
3, Referring to two the bigger problem is the door falling off. As most Bubblecenti (a new word perhaps based on congnoscenti?!) know, the top hinge is very weak and fractures at the pin. 

The fire at Hunslet was caused by a new range of handgrenades they were working on. S**t happens.