Author Topic: Are Nobel's 1958 or 1959 ?  (Read 12345 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Are Nobel's 1958 or 1959 ?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
Dear Jonathan

My contact tells me the workshop in London W1 where the York Nobel was worked on was  the top floor of a multy story car park  in Babmaes Street, off Jermyn Street in London, which is technically SW1 and not W1 which is the otherside of Piccadilly.

He says the cars were not made there but cars were serviced there. Noble himself would visit regularly but did not arrive by car but walked in, as if his office was not far away. It could be that there was another workshop near by. I will show my contact the photo of the factory where they were assembled to see if it is the same place.

Hopefully more news next week.

Chris Thomas

Thanks chris,

He was actually called Cyril Lord, and he used to do carpets. If you want, here are some more pics:

Hope that helps!

- Jonathan Poll -
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
Dear Jonathan

I think you will find that Cyril Lord, was the financier of the project not the company owner.

Thanks for the additional images, Clearly the Nobel was not built in Brussels at the Atomium.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
Blimey, I remembered right. I was going to suggest Shorts but thought that might be a step to far and it did not tie up with the account of burying unsold cars and parts under a new road. Of course Shorts would be in regular trade with Bristol's being both Aero engineers in need of additional contract work to retain their staff for lucrative projects when they arose, much as Vickers looked at Frisky as I told in that thread. Trojan bought the Heinkel production for much the same reason. Dad worked with Shorts briefly. One of the brothers virtually had two brains and could go without sleep for long periods and write differing languages with either hand at the same time. Mind you dad still said their stuff was crap. He held very high standards!

Of course the registered business address of a company often is not the manufacturing base of that company. It is reasonably likely that the production and marketing were actually performed by differing companies to protect investments.

With respect to Ireland - Eire - the only car manufactured in that country was the Heinkel. Hence its historical importance to that nation. However they assembled a lot of differing vehicles to avoid tax. This included KR175 Messerschmitt.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 12:36:51 PM »
Most of the Shorts Flying Boats used Bristol Jupiter, Pegasus and Hercules engines.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
i remember the adverts for lords carpets in the 60's on tv .......sung in a rich baritone i think -

the best that you can afford

at CYRIL  LORD !!
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
i remember the adverts for lords carpets in the 60's on tv .......sung in a rich baritone i think -

the best that you can afford

at CYRIL  LORD !!

Lol, better than the Nobel one: Almost as cheap as breathing " . Really? can I breathe 10 times to get a Nobel? If so, I would have a museum!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
of course i should have researched him first  :-[

wikipedia " cyril lord -A marketing phenomenon that went bust very suddenly " in 1968 and the ad was of course :

HERE IS LUXURY YOU CAN AFFORD BY CYRIL LORD !

loads of stuff on him and business worldwide - fascinating but no mention i could find on Nobels

outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
wikipedia " cyril lord -A marketing phenomenon that went bust very suddenly " in 1968 and the ad was of course :

Age allows the privilege of realising that the phenomenon of clever types going bust very suddenly is neither very rare nor very clever I would suggest. Smart money never exposes itself. Unfortunately for Microcar inventors quite a few got tied into the wrong people to ever be successful. It is clear the opposite is true too. Sharps turned Bond's designs into a saleable commodity to the extent of changing the production line when Bond was not present, for instance. Shiny offices in London and lots of froth is not going to provide long term sales if the product is not right. History repeats itself. Makes for interesting spectating though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs