Author Topic: Knutschkugel  (Read 4311 times)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
Knutschkugel
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »
There's no such thing as bad knowledge so, from a North American glassfibre caravan forum (don't ask):

My (German) mother-in-law informs me that the German term for little trailers like my new 13' Burro is Knutschkugel.

This was originally used to describe the old BMW Isetta, but is now used for tiny vehicles generally. It means "cozy coach" or more crassly, "french-kissing sphere/wagon/bubble/pod." Meaning: if you're sharing that thing with somebody, we hope you know them pretty well!

Anyway, thought you all would like to know.

Of course North American manners does require very polite public language, so maybe the British English translation is 'snogpod', though 'French-kissing sphere' does sound sweet.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Knutschkugel
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
praps its just a reference to the cramped position !

ach mein nuts are schkugelled !  :D apologies to those whose language is more polite than English
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
Taken from a German Web site.

Eine "Knutschkugel" kann entweder ein ziemlich kleines Auto oder einen netten kleinen Mann oder kleine Frau mit ein paar Pfunde zu viel werden.
Sie können auch den Begriff als Kosename für einen geliebten Menschen.

German to English translation

A "bubble car" can either be a fairly small car or a cute little man or little woman with a few pounds too many.
You can also use the term as a term of endearment for a loved one.  :-*

So whose partner is a Bubblecar?  ;D

Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »

Eine "Knutschkugel" kann entweder ein ziemlich kleines Auto oder einen netten kleinen Mann oder kleine Frau mit ein paar Pfunde zu viel werden.

A "bubble car" can either be a fairly small car or a cute little man or little woman with a few pounds too many.

Perfect Rob, and i also like the word snogpod  ;D

Oceanix

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »

Well, Knutschkugel indeed refers to small cars like Isetta or Fiat 500, however, bubble car is not the translation. Bubble car would translate to something like "Blasenauto"..."Knutschkugel means it is of small dimensions and has such a nice appearance that you like to kiss it (Knutsch = kiss in the sense of lovely looking)... It has become a general term for small cars from the 50ies and 60ies.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »
Here's the site.

http://www.sprachnudel.de/woerterbuch/knutschkugel

Press your translate key.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:20:45 PM by Rob Dobie »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
hi rob do i have a translate key on my laptop ?where would i find one ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »
Hi Richard, Sorry I should have typed "click Translate on your Google tool bar".  Rob ;D

I've google translated it for you.

Bubble car

You can also use the term as a term of endearment for a loved one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:15:10 PM by Rob Dobie »

Oceanix

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Here's the site.

http://www.sprachnudel.de/woerterbuch/knutschkugel

Press your translate key.

Well,being German, I do not speak English but understand German quite well  8)
Computer translators are no better than those professionals programming these...
Maybe they have bubble cars as partners in real life, who knows....

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
."Knutschkugel means it is of small dimensions and has such a nice appearance that you like to kiss it (Knutsch = kiss in the sense of lovely looking)...

Has this anything to do with the infamous Scottish Kiss which is knutsching someone in the face? I have known my partner Bubblecar to do this regularly, especially Trienkels. Perhaps I need to join 'Battered Bubblers' the self help group for bruised bubblers who are not in a good relationship with there bubblecar.

Of course there is the Snuggy microcar, is that naming anything to do with Snogpod, which is a good word. Reminds me of driving behind Nick and Ant in their early Goggo with a small rear screen around when they got engaged. It was a mobile engagement card and picture of contentment. A long time ago now but our silly cars sometimes bring more to us than just ownership so the description is not out of place.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs