Author Topic: Lost near Northampton?  (Read 8428 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Lost near Northampton?
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:49:13 AM »
Last night I had Ian Hellings and Root here with plans to head up to near Market Harborough to look at an IC. Come 6.45 AM I was going with them. Then I got outside to see snow falling. Now if we get snow here that means most folks have got it worse. I made my excuses suggesting my leg would be uncomfortable in the van. Indeed it would as it is a new Transit which has a dash the size of a Brutsch Rollera and even my stumps were scrapping the knees on the dashboard! Modern crap! Off they went. I am now writing this three hours later with a few inches of snow on the ground and more falling and reports of Watford Gap being near closure. Hmm, Watford Gap is on route from here to there. They are due back mid afternoon so it will be interesting to see if that happens. More exciting the Coranation Street!!
Tomorrow they want to go to Essex. Anyone got a spare bed........
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Lost near Northampton?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
They are due back mid afternoon so it will be interesting to see if that happens.

I hope they took spades and sleeping bags! I have visions of ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ they’ll abandon the transit and walk to Essex dragging the IC behind them, though they'll need snowshoes mind.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:29:15 PM by blob »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
Forget Essex, we have had 3 inches of snow in the last hour and another 9 on its way.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
Ah the wonders of experienced snow drivers. They did Market Harbottle in good time so decided to take on Essex. The main problem were all the burkes who parked, jacknifed or otherwise chucked thier cars in the ditch. By all accounts the American experience saw all such impediments, police nonesence and 4 wheel drives looking for a tow as chicannes to be negotiated and after collecting several IC machines from Chelmsford they got back here for a nice slow cooked Aga stew at about 11 pm. This just proves that Britain's problems with snow are down to a lack of preparadness, experience and application of intelligence which was rather what I always suspected since the rest of the world does not seem to suffer such a total seizure of transport in these conditions. So we can stop blaming everything else and accept that, while it slows transport down, snow is not a reason for the country to loose millions of £s it cannot afford to loose. Bad news for the Spot Bots who infest our nation and prevent it being a success, another excuse to be lazy gone.
The dynamic duo are off to Manchester today!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:49:33 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »

Well done Ratman & Bobin. I look forward to your escapades in Conveyancer.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
And live from Llandudno the dynamic duo return to Faringdon tonight having done two more tasks. Meanwhile the 12 cars at the bottom my hill are now on the verge where the farmer put them so he could get on with his work since the Police just closed the road. They sprayed the hill with pee heavy slurry to melt the ice too as farming is 24/7 not spot bot work so the locals can use it even if no one else does. Bit whiff bot major. Sunday saw The Folly Inn enjoy 4 wheel drive curling on Folly Hill. A watchman is set to see if a fool attempts it in an inappropriately shod vehicle. Near the top the jeep looses traction. The now spinning car returning into town is met with cheering pint laden folk scoring speed, style and number of impacts before they stop. Traditional rural fun at the expense of the townies and a good way to shift shagged cars parked in the street waiting for an insurance claim.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
And further loading, plus trips locally have been done. Then back to Manchester and a city quietly getting on with living while London and Heathrow slowly loose the will to live. Perhaps our success as a nation wiould be improved if we got rid of London! No doubt Stuart, once home, will fill you in on the details of cars seen, bought, not bought and otherwise messed around with.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
 Right, who wants to see some pics?   ;D  Hands up now & you might get some as an early Christmas prezzie.  To all the Essex boys, ahhh you fair-weathered lot.  ;)  We were out & about in Essex in a driving snow storm & we still got everything done & saw everything.  Faint heart never won fair motor & it takes more than the country grinding to a halt to stop the ICR when it's on manovoures.....    8) 

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:41:42 PM »
Dear Stuart

Of course we want to see what you and Ian have been up to. We are not nosey or anything.

Chris Thomas

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »
Yes please Bobin. You must have had a crazy trip with Ratman.  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »
Yes please Bobin. You must have had a crazy trip with Ratman.  ;D

Does that make me Alfred?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:59:16 PM by Big Al »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »
HOLY COW ...... Cat Woman ...... Is that a Riddle? Joker.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
OK then folks, here we go then with a mixed bag of views, in no particular order, of the ICR's latest adventure, proving that there is indeed no business like snow business....     ;D   8)

First up, the invalid carriages: 

^  This little beauty here got a good dose of looking over by us, a 1951 Invacar New Era, & only the third known to the ICR....     

^  Ian gives his latest purchase an inspection. Twenty minutes after this pic was taken, the snow started coming down hard....

^  ...so hard in fact, that by the time we got to these three, we'd already had a 44-ton artic dump what felt like half of Saint Maritz right in out windscreen on the M40....

^  Still, that didn't stop us tracking this little article down in the Coronation Street suburbs. Bonus points if anyone here knows what it is...   :)

Second up: the micros....  (Yes, I thought your ears would start pricking up now!)

^  It wasn't just invalid carriages we were gawping at you know.  ;)  Dig the snowbound 'schmitt.....

^  And here, live from Llandudno, you are seeing the first exclusive scoop pic of The Car that does Not Exist.  It took us a long time,(A year in fact) but we got it safe at last.  :)  What do you mean you can't see it?  Of course you can't. Like we told you, it's The Car That Does Not Exist.......

^  And finally, a familiar person, and the start of a new life for a familiar car....

Now let us think of our Ian Hellings. All set to return to Chicago from Manchester 10.30am this morning. Christmas Eve would you believe. Rather him than me. Did he make it we wonder, or is he spending his Christmas in a departure lounge.  No doubt we shall hear very soon....   :) 

But for now & the ICR, over & out til Boxing Day.     

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »
The Llandudno vehicles were two very special ones.  One was built by Owen Owen of Babs fame, built in the 1950's and the other a little Italian job in perfect condition.  No photos yet for I am in a hotel room in Philadelphia after missing connection due to delay in Manchester.  I should arrive in Momence just in time for the end of Christmas dinner.  I really hope y'all have a great and blessed Christmas as well, with all of your loved ones.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »
Is it a one legged Turkey for Lunch for the Duo? Will the Riddler finally find his silent P in the bushes or only a lost W? Will the Joker be got? See next years edition of ICR on tour.
Well it would not be Britain without a delay I suppose. Glad to have been of some help.