Author Topic: Dont bother with the vinegar!  (Read 16995 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Dont bother with the vinegar!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
The cheap version is to take a bath with the parts and a plugged in hair drier. Just sign over Thumper to me before you try it though! Hmm, £20 for a sonic cleaner. Trouble is that means HM Gov gets £3.33 dunnit? Prefer secondhand at £16!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
I thought you didnt like Isettas , they were a load of rubbish, and now you want me to leave thumper to you in my will? Make up your mind Al!! :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
It is kind of nice to remind oneself of the true horror that is an Isetta to encourage me to get my Heinkel out! Oh dear I think I might have started something here.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
Narrrr, we are all entitled to our own opinions on microcars, to be honest I still havent driven my Isetta enough to bond with it properly yet, the steering is still a slight issue and until I change the tyres and set the tracking accuratly as Terry Parkin says this is crucial I'm not totaly committed to keeping it. If I dont bond with it this summer I may be looking for something else. I have always been fond of Fiat 500's and also like JZR/BRA type cars [must be Guzzi powered though]. I like owning a collectors car or two but also must have a mico to seriously drive and that I'm happy driving. The Schmitt didnt fit the bill and if the Isetta doesnt I shall move on. Quite like Goggo coupes as well. 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
JZR Morgan-style cars look great, but I have heard that they have vintage Morgan-style cramped space and a hard ride, not what you are after.

No, Bob, what you REALLY want to get..(.and take us for a ride in is this):

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/sales/three_wheeler/three_wheeler.html

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
Yes, I heard about this, I am assuming it will cost £40,000 or something even more obsene! Even if I could afford it the fact that it will have a Harley Davidson motor on it is enough to make me run in the opposite direction, I loath the things !!! I loath the engines, the bikes, the riders, especially the midlife crisis types that assume that buying a chrome christmas tree makes them a motorcyclist! I have even met guys that say they bought one for nostalgia, the fact that they never owned one in there younger years leaves me scratching my head. Ship them all back to the good old USA and let them play hells angels over there instead. Rant over.

I'm only a tiddler like yourself so I dont think the cramped cockpit of a JZR/BRA would turn me off , in fact I am told the BRA cockpit is more roomy, could it be inspired by father Jack? [Big bra's!] And the hard ride? Have you driven a Schmitt? Hit a bump and I get thrown out of my seat, head touching the dome! Surely the ride must be sofetr than this! Besides, the diameter of the wheels alone must make a huge difference.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU LESS !! WONDERFUL ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL .  

LOVE MORGANS - ALWAYS HAVE . LOVE HARLEYS - ALWAYS HAVE , THAT LOVELY ENGINE , LOVELY SOUND( i once wound down the windows on the motorway and just listened to two harleys on full song for 10 minutes , i was in heaven

WHAT A COMBINATION !!

THE PRICE ? HANDMADE QUALITY AND NO DOUBT THE TRADITIONAL LOOONG WAITING LIST  MEANING A GOOD RESALE PRICE

WISH I HAD THE MONEY MY LIFE WOULD BE COMPLETE

BY THE WAY THIS SHOULD HAVE WARRANTED ANOTHER SUBJECT ON FORUM I THINK  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:22:13 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
Start another thread on this Richard. I'm sure others will have some views. Dont misunderstand me, I love Morgans and am pleased they are rebuilding a three wheeler but wish they had chosen a european engine.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
can we put marcus' ad on as another topic - praps you could post again marcus

the engine is a true classic with a great heritage itself and of course has the classic morgan V twin configuration.

the ad shows left hand drive and would expect U.S.A to be a prime target - hence Harley for servicing and parts ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »
I tend to agree with Bob about Harley-Attitude-Davidson, but I don't think Morgan have a lot of choice. H-Ds make a good sound as long you are not trying to sleep, record, fish, or do any other peaceful pursuits like listening to a Jumbo Jet taking off! Other than that H-Ds are inefficient and woefully out of date and it is only the image and nostalgia which keep them in business.

Dickie is right though, the US market is very important so that engine is possibly a good choice, people know it, have spares, and the right tools (sledge hammers?!) and skills that can service them However, in the 1930s Gwenda Stewart set the record for a Morgan 3 at 116 MPH, 1 mph more than the new lump can manage, and probably half its size and weight. In fact that just proves how dated those H-Ds are!

Dickie, I will re-post the link on its own thread. All you have to do if you want to post it (or any other site) somewhere else is to open the page/site wait until it is fully loaded and active, then copy the details showing in the address bar near the top of your screen, then open up the page where you want it and copy it to there.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
I believe the price for the new 3 wheeler is around £30,000.Not that bad considering a triking or similar isnt far off that new.
I think the main reason for the harley engine is to capture a similar sound to that of the original,plus the look and appearance of the engine itself.
I actually asked Charles Morgan myself when i did my work experience there why hasnt he remade the three wheeler,what with the big bucks asked for the originals and huge number of kit cars trying to replicate them,imagine how much interest there would be in a "real" one.
Apparently after news leaked out that they were to make it they had 2000 enquiries and 200 people have paid deposits,i wish it every success.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
A new built up turn key BRA cost £15,000.

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »
The JZR is poor quality when compared with a Triking. My next door neighbour has a Triking and I have a Morgan Super Sports JAP. Last year we did some work on a French blokes JZR and both decided we didn't want one. On the subject of Harley motor against Guzzi, I think the Harley was the right choice. You can also buy brand new JAP twins with 80 hp on tap, but they are expensive.  Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
Am I right in thinking that one cant buy a new Triking though?