Author Topic: Schmitt MOT testing puzzlement  (Read 12534 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Schmitt MOT testing puzzlement
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
Dont surpose you know of any schmitters in the Notts/ Yorks areas? I am struggling to meet other people with KR's locally for moral and mechanical support.

There is a meeting near Mansfield I believe - Glynn, Andy Carter and Colin Burton used to be prime attendees as far as I could make out. Check out KaRoScene at www.messerschmittclub.co.uk as details should be present.

You are in prime Micromaniacs territory so worth joining this bunch of nutters.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
When I got my first 3 wheeler, a Velorex, several MOT garages here in Beautiful Downtown Bermondsey, S.E. London which test Reliants and other single-front-wheelers said they could not do single-back-wheelers. Odd. Not sure if others have ever encountered that. Some KRs were assembled in Italy by Mivalino, and had white fibre-glass domes to keep the hot Italian sun off the occupants' heads, so yours just looks like one of them, of which there is one in the design Museum in London. There is another plus an Isetta in the science Museum, and a Trojan quite like mine in the Croydon Clocktower Museum, quite near where they were built.
Women certainly do respond well to bubble cars!

I sorted out Chris Cootes car for the Science Museum. They also have other microcars but not displayed which is a bit sad. I found the best Micro I had for the ladies was the Goggo as it was a baby car but reasonably civilised. The Schmitt is antisicial and once the novelty has warn off they tend not to be so keen as you cannot be nagged effciently.
A class 3 station has equipment to do the tests. I suspect they did not want the hassle. This happens with inbetweenies like French Fridges all the time.

Interesting.  Are you taliking about the black KR in THE science museum?  I thought all exhibits were owned by them?

As for antisocial I think all micros are!  At least for the general public.  The KR does smoke up a bit when caught in traffic (as in following Ollie to the Schmitt Nat). Just a thought. I reckon a 50's two stroke kicks out more filth that a fleet of new 5 ltr four wheel drives. Apparantly it's not very easy to do your self in, in a new motor.

Emmisions are so clean that sitting in one with open windows idling in a closed garage don't work!   

Try that in a Scootacar and I reckon you have 5 minutes!!  Now they really puff and it gets not much better hot.  Peels smoke too. 

Ho hum!
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

Just a thought. I reckon a 50's two stroke kicks out more filth that a fleet of new 5 ltr four wheel drives. Apparantly it's not very easy to do your self in, in a new motor.

Emmisions are so clean that sitting in one with open windows idling in a closed garage don't work!   

Depends how airtight the garage is as the oxygen will get depleted at a rate. Mind you you would be skint due to fuel cost after the attempt and have to sell a kidney. Are we expecting mass suicides on rare microcar prices falling? Interesting. Which is the best car for the job? A nurgled Treinkel chucks it out a bit but the 16 to one strokers can compete. Perhaps a very cold freshly imported Trabbi on 82 octane and old engine oil for two stroke takes the prize.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
Nothing beats a Velorex!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the contacts there Alan, tried to contact Colin Burton in the past and didnt get a responce to my email. Been to many a micro maniacs show at holme on spalding moor! Death my bubblecar? I'm sure that would at least make the very bottom story on the Yahoo news front page!! I would say a Barkas two stroke van having seen one in action a few years ago!! higher volume of vehicle to fill the garage = less oxgen to deplete = faster trip to the big workshop in the sky!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:54:00 PM by DrewS »
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

karonut

• Occasional
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi DrewS

I have responed to your email, reply dated Fri 11/06/2010 19:29 my reply sent items folder I will send it again!

Reguarding the VIN plate on some of the later KR200's 1961 onwards no VIN plates were fitted I have photographs of three  KR200's Two 1961's and a 1963 all of which have had no VIN plate fitted, the holes are there in the inner wing but no plate.

The plate could not have come adrift as on one of the KR200's has only done 47 miles.
1960 Messerschmitt KR200, 1957 Messerschmitt KR200, 1961 Messerschmitt KR200 Sport.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »
Well 'tis off to my MOT man on Sat morning with a Schmitt. That one is sold. That means it will rain. I have the next road car in the wings so I should be on the road, 'schmitting for Feb. Hopefully that will get the car settled down for the season. Certainly want a good one running for Schmitting in Cumbria. It will take on post office and shopping duties which should save a few quid in fuel as ordinary cars take some time to warm up and my favoured facilities are an annoying inefficient 6 miles round trip.
A shake up of transport is needed as it looks like building of my house will start this year so I really need a van or pick up for that. I do not really want to run two moderns as the cost is so high now so I am looking at a few options in the collectors car area to take up the longer distance runs on economy since while a Schmitt can do it I feel far less safe in them than I did 20 years ago. To many drivers are not concentrating on what they are doing and overall mass and speed has increased. So ideally it needs to be nippy or have some metal on it to keep the buggers away.
Out of the collection I quite fancy getting the Norsjka going but that depends on the above and a possible left field unique car I am to view. However I can find out if the MOT station will do it as I am not sure which category it will be.

With fuel going up Microcars start to look like a good investment again. Time to get them into use as they should be.

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
Have to agree with you Alan, Schmitt useage isn't a viable option for every day use these days, even if you live in central London.... there are to many kamikaze motorists on the roads these days!! Driving standards have gone through the floor these last few years! and its now what I call "last of the late brakers!!" Driving a schmitt these days is still better than riding a scooter though... as they were in there day. How about an old Fiat 500 as a more regular runabout? one with a 126 engine and syncro box?
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
I still drive my Trojan around Central London and it generally keeps up pretty well with the flow. However, because so many motorists ignore all laws and rules of the road, and drive at whatever speed they think they have a "right" to, Speed Limits are now completely disregarded. So speed humps are being put on more and more roads, and some of these are pretty savage to anyone in a mini or micr car. In fact it is only huge wide Executive cars and 4WD which can really deal with speed humps comfortably, so increasing numbers of drivers feel justified in up-scaling their car, and the manufacturers are only too happy to oblige.
Back in the days of Minis, Bubble Cars, Austin A 30s, Morris Minors etc 60 mph was more-or-less top speed, and the lack of seat belts, Anti-Lock Brakes, Air Bags, Impact Absorbing zones, modest roadholding and acceleration people were not able to drive like maniacs down crowded urban streets, and did not feel safe when going flat out, especially as the steering started getting light and vague!
I have long felt that a return to light, compact and simple cars with much more modest levels of power and dynamic ability is LONG overdue.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
How about an old Fiat 500 as a more regular runabout? one with a 126 engine and syncro box?

Looking for something I have not yet experienced living with - done 500, 126, CC Zero and Bianchina as road cars already, I have a cracking 126 for sale. For me they are all flawed for a few reasons. Not least as I am a big bloke and not Italian shaped. I would put a NSU Prinz at the top of the sensible pile. Rust free there is little to fault them on. I want serious economy and serious eccentricity if I can get it though. Failing that common spares saves cash and I know Schmitts work out here. The issue is being seen so I guess lighting with LED units etc would be in order so as not to lean on the dynostarter. We will see how things pan out. The viable alternative is a source of fuel cheap that the diesel will burn without the pump failing. This is more sensible probably. Is there a sensible twist and go 250cc diesel unit that would go in a trike?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
 An intresting turn-up for the books now for Oxfordshire three wheelers as I recent recived a few flyers from a new garage just started up in Yarnton, Kidlington, a few miles up the road from me which proudly states they are class 3 testers & will happily test ANY three wheeler presented. Hmmm, sounds like a challenge, and typicaly coming just after I've sold the Comtesse!

Anyway, for anyone who's intrested, the details are:

Yarnton Garage Ltd
Bosch Car Service Centre
Unit 27 Chancerygate Business Centre
Langford Lane, Kidlington
Oxfordshire OX5 1FQ
Tel:  01865-374487
Fax: 01865-848657

Email: yarntongarage@boschauto.co.uk
Web:  yarntongarage.boschauto.co.uk

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
What was that? MOTs from Chancygate? Oh I miss read.