Author Topic: Does this have the Xfactor then?  (Read 4357 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Does this have the Xfactor then?
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
JCB GT?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Does this have the Xfactor then?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
Nice! About 8 years ago myself and a couple of colleagues in the Fabulous Fezheads started thing about making motorised wheelbarrows for racing and a bit of a larrf for our web site, We even joked about making a double-decker, which would have been seriously and hilariously unstable. I was keen on getting beyond the talk and doing it, but the others gradually lost interest. It was then that I came up with the even more ridiculous idea of what was to become The Drum Car, which still stands as the world's first driveable drum kit, it set the world's first Land Speed Record for a drum kit, and with 2 more powerful motors fitted it became the first to exceed the LSR for a drum kit.
 Several people in USA have now bolted drum kits onto existing cars, motorcycles and pick-ups and claim to be the First and Fastest, but this is not really the same, as mine is played by the driver using all four limbs, whilst also controlling speed, steering and brakes with body movements.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »
If Bonzo was still with us he might have chosen to drag race you? It puts a new meaning to climbing the Grosse Glockner solo! (Mountain that Fend products were tested up).
It never fails to amaze me that there is not a TV programme called The Shed that just deals with all these strang creations that people make. Needs presenting by someone with a braincell though not some ego who makes stupid comments. I guess it advertises what can be done if you do not watch soaps, to the propaganda that passes as news these days and what TISWAS rightly called Telly Selly time. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
Bonzo* on one of his drag racers would certainly blow me off the planet, but he would not be able to drive into pubs, shops and supermarkets, or do street parades like I have  ;D.

Mark Williams (from the Fast Show) is a superb presenter of anything mechanical and/or industrial. Industrial Revelations and On The Rails prove that there still is some good TV if you look around.

Saxon's drummer is the obvious choice for driving a drum kit up the Grosse Glockner. He is called Nigel Glockner! Add some bells to make the Grosse Glockner Glockner Glocken Run.

* For those that do not know Bonzo is the nick name of the late great John Bonham, a seasoned pro session drummer of great versatility and musical powerhouse long before his fame as Led Zeppelin's drummer, and still widely reckoned to be one of the very greatest rock drummers of all time, along with the equally late and great Keith Moon, who also had a passion for interesting machinery.  Bonzo's son Jason is also a great drummer, playing in The Who                                                                                                                    

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
Bonzo* on one of his drag racers would certainly blow me off the planet, but he would not be able to drive into pubs, shops and supermarkets, or do street parades like I have  ;D.                                                                                                       

I was thinking of he having a similar machine. He appeared to be a very powerful guy as well as skilled.

Good TV seems to not be the main channels. Not seen either of those progs. Got a freeview digital thingy box for naught but the reception is useless. They say the signal will be stronger once the analogue signal is turned off. I will believe it when I see it as my house is obscured by Folly Hill from line of site. Digital only works on a full signal whereas analoge can be amplified. So it is likely I will forget TV and get rid of it as I am not paying extra for what I already paid for, nor do I want pay for satellite or Sky spying on me at home and selling advertising to people to harass me. I will stick to the interweb while it is free....
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »
I got a Technika TT-02 Amplified Aerial from Tesco for about £20 for my Freeview box. In an enclosed yard surrounded by higher buildings and with metal doors and metal bars on my windows (to keep me confined!) reception was virtually non-existent, this little beastie sorted it out perfectly. There are occasional brief drop outs of pic and sound, and occasionally the pic freezes for a coupla secs, but mostly superb pic and sound, no snow, no ghosting and good definition.

Once you have that sorted, look for Quest (Ch 38) Yesterday (12) BBC 3 and 4 (7 and 9) and you will find a few good progs there. Also on Dave (19) if you fancy a larrff.

Bonzo was also a skilled builder and brickie and farmer.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
I thought you may be interested in this.  It was put on the Register in 1994 by a chap who lived near Tiverton in Devon, unfortunately by 1997 it had been passed on without informing me of if new owner.  I wonder if it still exists somewhere?  It is R644 on the Register and apart from the fact it has a 4-stroke Villiers engine I know nothing more about it.  This picture was taken in July 1994.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
As soon as you've got your racing machine, you'll be wanting a suitable race transporter: