Author Topic: Roy Young of Maggie the Messerschmitt fame  (Read 4881 times)

chrispbug

• Occasional
Roy Young of Maggie the Messerschmitt fame
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
'It is with much sadness, I have been asked by Sylvi and the family to let you know of the passing of Roy Young of Maggie the Messerschmitt fame.

Roy had bravely fought against illness for a couple of years but sadly died on Tuesday 4th January 2011 with his family around him.

Roy originally sold his KR200 nicknamed Maggie for £60 back in the sixties and during our visit to the National Classic Car Show in Birmingham in 1996, I happen to spot the car in the Sotherby's auction area. I read out the registration number and Roy exclaimed that that was his Schmitt from all those years ago ! He persuaded Sylvi to use the money from her proposed new kitchen and bought Maggie home the following week ! There then followed several years of belting around the Welsh countryside along with the marvelous Kingham rallies we attended - Roy in Maggie and me in my Bond Bug - great memories and lots of fun.

I'm sure we would all like to pass on our sympathy and condolences to Sylvi and Roy's daughters Hannah, Charlotte and Poppy and their families at this difficult time.'

Kind regards

Chris Powell

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Roy Young of Maggie the Messerschmitt fame
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
I did not know him, but it is sad news and my sympathies go out to his family and friends.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
'It is with much sadness, I have been asked by Sylvi and the family to let you know of the passing of Roy Young of Maggie the Messerschmitt fame.

Roy had bravely fought against illness for a couple of years but sadly died on Tuesday 4th January 2011 with his family around him.

Roy originally sold his KR200 nicknamed Maggie for £60 back in the sixties and during our visit to the National Classic Car Show in Birmingham in 1996, I happen to spot the car in the Sotherby's auction area. I read out the registration number and Roy exclaimed that that was his Schmitt from all those years ago ! He persuaded Sylvi to use the money from her proposed new kitchen and bought Maggie home the following week ! There then followed several years of belting around the Welsh countryside along with the marvelous Kingham rallies we attended - Roy in Maggie and me in my Bond Bug - great memories and lots of fun.

I'm sure we would all like to pass on our sympathy and condolences to Sylvi and Roy's daughters Hannah, Charlotte and Poppy and their families at this difficult time.'

Kind regards

Chris Powell

I don't personnaly know him, but my dad ( Nick Poll ) resotred that car I think. If I'm right, Roy was on a TV show with the car, we have it on VHS tape.

Sorry about the loss...
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »
A man of natrual country wisdom and dry wit. Nice guy.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
So sorry to hear the news

Roy was a good bloke and a pleasureto know, When we moved to Monmouth we met a lady in the high street who just loved our great Danes this turned out to be Sylvi and some how the conversation got round to microcars, and we were away!

He will be missed

John

chrispbug

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
Thank you so much for your comments and thoughts