Author Topic: The new MORGAN 3 Wheeler.  (Read 9321 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: The new MORGAN 3 Wheeler.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Oh yes Morgan, I knew we were talking about something other than rant material.

The Dudley Hardidyson unit would seem to be the obvious choice despite the JAP bits still being made. How much to build a JAP to conform to modern rules and by how much would the blatability be neutered. If you want a Morgan like that you have to get an old one. I think that is as it should be. What other easy available V twin is out there? I have never got the Bo Didley Hardson noise thing, myself. It sounds unbalanced. Maybe its like Reggie which is kind of wrong if you like rock but it still works somehow. (Now really I would like a Trike with a Reggie engine beat. That would be cool.)

Of more interest will be if they change the size of the machine for rich botty cheeks to fit in. The big prob with most trikes of the Morgan inspired style is they do not go for staggered seating with offset so as to allow the weight distributing to be correct. This immediately compromises use. Clearly slight folks will be able to use the things better and faster but more to the point you restrict your market. Since Morgan got this right yonks ago I have never understood quite why the idea is now ignored.

I have considered various modern editions of the Morgan idea and the Triking is the best but in the main most fail for the ultimate in performance when you are a large guy. The option is to create a single seater or base a modern component car on the Schmitt concept. Ultimately the Schmitt concept is better but no one has yet grasped the nettle to produce a radicule version of a schmitt with 80 bhp up its chuff. Perhaps that is a good thing as incidents would follow. Better to leave the nutters with the tuned old Morgans as they find places to use them which tend to be 'safe' there being enough of them to club together.

Does this new Morgan do anything to move the cause of Microcars forward. Probably not. Neither do idiots who refuse to recognize the value of the Kie class cars in urban situations as they can do the occasional run to Wales or what ever that the so called green cars cannot. The challenge is to manipulate fuel resources and technology to a broader based common fuel allowing renewable resources to phase in rather than pretending moving pollution to the power station is green.

What the Morgan hopefully will do is keep Morgan going, exporting and owners happy. Not sure it does much more than that but it sounds good enough to me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:12:29 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
What puzzles me most about the Morgan is why they felt obliged to base their new 3 wlr on a car which is so clearly inspired by,

er,     

a Morgan!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »
Most likely its because ace has has done all the development work for them and its ok to use in the us. Saved them a packet. All Morgan have to do is transfer production, stick a Morgan badge on it and pretend that an all American car is a true blue British traditional product which it aint! I would have liked to have seen them develop there own modern version even if they did have no choice other than use a dumper truck engine. I must confess though that it does look the part!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
Why all this talk about a vehicle that is definitely not a Microcar? You'll be chatting about Motorhomes soon, well they do seem to go with microcars!!!!  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Dear Rob

I sort of agree with you. If they produced a new Morgan three wheeler with an engine under 700cc then it would be worth talking about, but as it is just a replica of a three wheeler with a big lump on the front, what is unusual about that? Of course if it was a replica of a Gordon, or a modern day reincarnation, that would be different matter.

Chris T

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
LOL  :D :D rest assured no one will EVER replicate a Gordon .  the wonderful machine that carries that proud name will never be watered down by replicas  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:03:46 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
no one has yet grasped the nettle to produce a radicule version of a schmitt with 80 bhp up its chuff.
A genuine question: would that actually be nice, or even usable? 

I was interested to see that the Eco-Exo three-wheeler with a Suzuki Burgman scooter power unit with 'only' 50hp at most has a hard time staying on three wheels.  OK it's front wheels are too far ahead of the driver (unlike the Messerschmitt), but it is pretty low so stability should be fair.

I appreciate some may feel controlling tipover is part of the skill of driving a three-wheeler, but in a new design that's pretty unnacceptable - "Yes, Sir, many drivers do think brakes are necessary, but we feel one of the many delights of piloting the Throckley Sprocket is acquiring all the skills of our predecessors" doesn't cut the mustard, does it?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
LOL  :D :D rest assured no one will EVER replicate a Gordon .  the wonderful machine that carries that proud name will never be watered down by replicas  ;)

Gordon's ALIVE!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
[A genuine question: would that actually be nice, or even usable? 
I

Why not? The front suspension would need to be clever and possibly it would need to be a bit like the Jeffcot Special but the arrangement is mid engined three wheeler. The key issue is weight distribution and that is where conflict would be met with the clipboard types I suspect.