Author Topic: scootacars  (Read 9088 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
scootacars
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »
on the recent peel topic someone was asking about that lovely grey scootacar . heres another photo taken in the 80's - are these cars still around ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: scootacars
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »
on the recent peel topic someone was asking about that lovely grey scootacar . heres another photo taken in the 80's - are these cars still around ?
I have no idea if there still around, but I recognise it. I remember, not long ago, I looked at my dad's photo albums, he had a load of rally pics, that's maybe it.
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »
 Which rally & when would the second pic have been taken at? I've got a few other photos taken possibly in the campsite of that day showing the DESCA Lisa & the blaxk Honda S600 thingy but don't know where & when. My thoughts would be Weston park judging by the trees.

Meanwhile, here's a pic for our own Perry, taken I belive at the very same unidentified rally....   :)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
I remember chatting with the owner of the gray Mk2 on several occasions, I think he came from the midlands, I also remember it coming up for sale at £3000 which seamed a fortune at the time, I just wondered if it was still around. I have loads of pictures of it.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
funny how it suited grey - like the inter . not an obvious colour is it .

reckon the second picture would be Billing Aquadrome - great venue and mike simmonds and i managed to rent an 8 or 10 berth static caravan for the weekend , at VERY reasonable rates . what great fun we had in our red and yellow Trojans , and fantastic weather . but the next time we were there for the National we only got out of our cars for half an hour or so . " Man it poured "

other pics from Billing that same sunny year
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:45:47 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
never been to a kent rally so none of my pics from there. heres another scootacar from years before though

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
The fine line up of Scootacars was taken at the 2000 NMCR at Emberton Contry Park.  All still survive but HMF729B (then owned by Dave Briggs) is now part of Jeff Lane's collection.  679NBJ was then owned by Ray Daynes and now owned by Keith Mellors, Stephen Boyd still owns 455PG, 5403UA was owned by David Thomas (I think) at the time but might have been bought around that time by Mike S before changing hands another couple of times.
DAT27C changed hands many times before crossing the pond and being beutifuly restored by Kerry Erindson.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:01:41 PM by scootacar »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »
Which rally & when would the second pic have been taken at? I've got a few other photos taken possibly in the campsite of that day showing the DESCA Lisa & the blaxk Honda S600 thingy but don't know where & when. My thoughts would be Weston park judging by the trees.

Meanwhile, here's a pic for our own Perry, taken I belive at the very same unidentified rally....   :)

I do remember taking it to one show. Forget where but it was a bit empty. Must have been '05.

The horn is black so I must have just got it.

Soon to be white and splendid again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:43:29 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
funny how it suited grey - like the inter . not an obvious colour is it .

reckon the second picture would be Billing Aquadrome - great venue and mike simmonds and i managed to rent an 8 or 10 berth static caravan for the weekend , at VERY reasonable rates . what great fun we had in our red and yellow Trojans , and fantastic weather . but the next time we were there for the National we only got out of our cars for half an hour or so . " Man it poured "

other pics from Billing that same sunny year

Nice, I've had a lap in BOTH known Felber's!
The fixed wing one with split screen, and seperate wing with 1 piece screen.
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »
lucky you ! i have at least SEEN them both ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
reckon the second picture would be Billing Aquadrome - great venue and mike simmonds and i managed to rent an 8 or 10 berth static caravan for the weekend , at VERY reasonable rates . what great fun we had in our red and yellow Trojans , and fantastic weather .

Fascinating reflections on Rally venues. I was appalled by Billing Aquadrome, promptly had hassle from staff on arrival and generally felt it to be really negative for the vibe as public got in the way, stuff got knicked, killer duckling squads ate everything unattended and the many bars available split up the evening crush in one venue I think is so important to the National. So much were we not amused that we BUMS refused to camp next time and used a chums house at Raunds instead. The Raunds bit was a blast which made the Rally a bit of bore. After this we decided we would refuse to participate in any further events at that venue. It just shows you cannot please everyone no matter where you find as a venue. The Bond Owners Club on the other hand have habitually used it as a venue for a camping weekend in the passed. I am quite sure it was not to stop the BUMS attending!
For me Weston Park was the best venue. Space, space and more space for mucking around and a great county to tour round. Toddington would have been brill if only the local politics had not seen various wonderful ideas and promises ditched for no good reason. The Tony Marshall Olney one was very good too.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
Scootacar owners, stand by your Villiers. There is to be a Scootacar Rally near Kings Lynn this year, date yet to be firmed up but looks like Mid June avoiding other events. Backed by Mr Scoot himself, Stephen Boyd, and to be held on a couple of square miles of private airfield. This will be a drive, drag or shovel your Scootacar to get it to the event so that there will be more Scootacars in a place than since the factory closed. I will be taking the Mk2 unless I turn up runner.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Scootacar owners, stand by your Villiers. There is to be a Scootacar Rally near Kings Lynn this year, date yet to be firmed up but looks like Mid June avoiding other events. Backed by Mr Scoot himself, Stephen Boyd, and to be held on a couple of square miles of private airfield. This will be a drive, drag or shovel your Scootacar to get it to the event so that there will be more Scootacars in a place than since the factory closed. I will be taking the Mk2 unless I turn up runner.

Al,

Approx how many do you think are left and how many of them are actually goers? 

I'd take mine naturally calender permitting.

Footnote.  Only time my scoot's broke down was on a national road run.  Mr K had a spare plug and off I scooted!

-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »

I really do not know. Certainly quite a few have left the UK and of these quite a few seem to now be running examples. There are also various 'sheds' that periodically change hands waiting for some noble fellow to actually restore the thing. Lets be in no doubt that two squares miles is going to struggle to be full of Scootacars but by getting them together much can be done for those running and those rotting as we can look, learn and come away motivated to improve our own individual example of what I still think is a much underrated Microcar. Certainly as usefull as a Messerschmitt or Bond for those of a Villiers persuasion. I am not organising the event but I am keen that it should be a success and get as many Scootacars in one place as possible if someone is prepared to put the effort in.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »

I really do not know. Certainly quite a few have left the UK and of these quite a few seem to now be running examples. There are also various 'sheds' that periodically change hands waiting for some noble fellow to actually restore the thing. Lets be in no doubt that two squares miles is going to struggle to be full of Scootacars but by getting them together much can be done for those running and those rotting as we can look, learn and come away motivated to improve our own individual example of what I still think is a much underrated Microcar. Certainly as usefull as a Messerschmitt or Bond for those of a Villiers persuasion. I am not organising the event but I am keen that it should be a success and get as many Scootacars in one place as possible if someone is prepared to put the effort in.

Splendid.  This is a very narrow avenue of the micro scene.

Attendence figs will be pro-rata.  But it may not occur again (if ever) so if owners can be bothered and motivated it will be a really bespoke bash.

I can bring my pair of NOS LEP's to tittilate! (MK1 types only..)  

As for underrated I think that point is long passed (witness this grotter making nearly £8k  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300502691306&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)    Not as refined as the mass produced isettreinkalsmitt machines but wacky
and endearing.   

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:44:35 PM by P50 »
-Benvenuto Cellini