Author Topic: scootacars  (Read 9129 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: scootacars
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
Will none scoot owners be able to attend?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
We live in diverse Britistan!  All are welcome. Even Blind Ghanian one legged single mother lesbians!

Just need to have an interest in the Scoot. 

I speak for me but it's unlikely others would object. 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »
can i come if i bring my original copy of Balkan Roads to Istanbul? ;D :D

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
I use to knock around in a Scootacar mk 3 LGO 61D.  On one trip back from Norfolk it conked out near Romford onto one cylinder due to the silencer being blocked with carbon. I removed the silencer, whacked some holes in it with a screwdriver and hammer. That sorted it. It's quietest run was taking Big Al to Norfolk or Suffolk to view a load of Goggos many years ago. Al's bulk moulded to the inside shape of the bodywork and acted as brilliant sound deadening. Those were the fun days. I still know of a Scoot in SW London, must chase it up.   I'm in UK at the moment but back to France tomorrow.        Nick.
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
funny how it suited grey - like the inter . not an obvious colour is it .

reckon the second picture would be Billing Aquadrome - great venue and mike simmonds and i managed to rent an 8 or 10 berth static caravan for the weekend , at VERY reasonable rates . what great fun we had in our red and yellow Trojans , and fantastic weather . but the next time we were there for the National we only got out of our cars for half an hour or so . " Man it poured "

other pics from Billing that same sunny year

Im sure it was at Billing aquadrome, because i was there and i saw the white peel OSU758 which i purchased a couple of years later

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »
I use to knock around in a Scootacar mk 3 LGO 61D.  On one trip back from Norfolk it conked out near Romford onto one cylinder due to the silencer being blocked with carbon. I removed the silencer, whacked some holes in it with a screwdriver and hammer. That sorted it. It's quietest run was taking Big Al to Norfolk or Suffolk to view a load of Goggos many years ago. Al's bulk moulded to the inside shape of the bodywork and acted as brilliant sound deadening. Those were the fun days. I still know of a Scoot in SW London, must chase it up.   I'm in UK at the moment but back to France tomorrow.        Nick.

I thought it was weird seeing my name when I didn't type it!
Dad, you forgot to sign out on my account, and log on to yours ;)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:06 AM »
For a car sharing public toilet interior paintwork Looe is an ideal place to sell from. So it is conclusive that this car actually sold? Apparently it is little better condition than when Martin MacKeever sold it on for a farthing yonks age after finding it in NorfolK somewhere. So restored correctly this car will need to see about £12-15k. Roughly the value of British Schmitts. Interesting but I would not be a buyer. For those prices I would be looking to compete in cheap motorsport as it is a better return for your bunts per vibe.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
For a car sharing public toilet interior paintwork Looe is an ideal place to sell from. So it is conclusive that this car actually sold? Apparently it is little better condition than when Martin MacKeever sold it on for a farthing yonks age after finding it in NorfolK somewhere. So restored correctly this car will need to see about £12-15k. Roughly the value of British Schmitts. Interesting but I would not be a buyer. For those prices I would be looking to compete in cheap motorsport as it is a better return for your bunts per vibe.

Certain members of British society happen to like spending their time in public toilets.

Hehe. 

Footnote.

What's value of one car got to do tenuously with anything else?  What's a racing car got to do with a microcar?

It's like saying I would buy a 1990 Mini Cooper but as I don't see the value in it I'm going to buy a mountain bike.

It's absurdly polarised. 

How many old school luddites would pay for a car at todays prices?  Probably none.   Harking back to a day when you could buy a runner for a tenner. 

However I'm sure the same types if they happen to have a few goodies stashed away would NOT market them for a song.

You can't have it both ways...

-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 10:46:36 AM »
What's value of one car got to do tenuously with anything else?  What's a racing car got to do with a microcar?

It's like saying I would buy a 1990 Mini Cooper but as I don't see the value in it I'm going to buy a mountain bike.

It's absurdly polarised.    

The value is, tenuously, £15k, for which I can apparently buy a restored Scootacar now. I can drive this car to several microcar events and round my parish. Or I can build my trials car and/or Saab rallycar, for instance, and have a budget to take part in various events, afford to repair it and drive it round my Parish.
Or I can park either machines and look at them, all shiny like, and not use them at all.
Yes it is a polarised option but it is mine to make and I chose the trials car/Saab as I cannot see £15,000 worth of driving in the Scootacar.
If you park them up and do not use them the Scootacar is better value.
One is an investment in usage for out and out fun, the challenge of competition wins out, the other an investment in an ornament to impress, Scootacar wins. Do I have a Bath or Shower or do I have a hot tub not plumbed in as my doctor says I should not use it because of my dodgy leg. Puts the value of the house up though. Choices, choices.

Personally I think we ought to be racing Microcars actually. No Gov interference, like Lawn Mower racing and a use for cars many seem to find they cannot drive on the road. It would be a great way of using up the poorly restored cars needing rubbed out or redone correctly. It would incease the value of the good cars, unless you created a winning machine which would sell to a wealthy guy wanting instant results. This value enhancement would meet with approval from some quarters. A class for replicas would be included. Heretical ideas I am sure but more interesting than forever stood in a field looking at a line of parked cars with a back drop of campervans tenuously present as part of the microcar scene!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
Will none scoot owners be able to attend?

I have no idea of the entry requirements but I cannot see why it would be restricted access though it is being held on private land so potentially undesirables could be asked to leave. Not sure I know who is undesirable since I am going!
I assume the idea is to have several run outs. I imagine a BBQ would be on for the evening as there is no other facilities. Might be allowed to cut the turf and have a proper fire.
The status of campers I am less sure about as the camping area is at least a mile across a field. Certainly it is an active airstrip so the runway area has to be kept clear. The field is impassible to vans and such if the weather has been damp on experience. Cars do not sink in if they are unloaded, the right sort and/or driven correctly. When dry no probs and we have driven buses around the field playing bail football. The BUMS will more than likely kip in one of the hangers or something. It maybe the campers, if present, will prefer to loiter near the entrance so they have easy access. Thinking on it someone will need to be there to operate the gate as it has to be locked to prevent access to the runway. Not sure that has been thought about.
The other issue I can see is no bog as The Grim Ripper broke the only one last event there. That means a run to town for sitting activeties unless something else is organised! We did not see this as a prob as it is a car rally which kind of means you have a car present that you want an excuse to drive. Maybe the first trip out will be to nick a chemi karsi for the weekend! Well they look a bit Scootacarish.
Anyway we will see what the organiser Captain Bondseye comes up with.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
Al, Ever driven a Dellow?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Yes my chum had one and I did a local off road trial as a bouncer. Great fun. My Trials car is someones idea of a Dellow crossed with a Lotus. I would like to find out some history of it. It is registered in Croydon but seems to have always been owned by a Dr Briearley up your way, I think it was Burnley. Dave and I wondered if there was a Trojan connection as some of the guys at the factory moonlighted or went into building specials. I love the plate as it is ideal for a weird mud plugger YOY (Why oh why!). It would have had a Ford sidevalve engine but that is gone. I have a 100E donor car but toyed with putting an Alfa 2 lt twin cam in it. I think the chassis might not handle the excitement though. Another idea was to put a Tatra engine in, just because it is silly and sounds nice. Despite the V8 it is a lot less power than the Alfa. However these old specials are gaining a following so I think I might stick to Ford as their could soon be a category for them away from things like modern Cannons, Trolls etc. It was a lot cheaper than a Dellow but potentially a better machine for the task in hand.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »

It's absurdly polarised.    

It would be a great way of using up the poorly restored cars needing rubbed out or redone correctly.

That'll be 95 % of all microcars then!!  Harking back to the day when one article in Karotips advocated bending a bit of ally 90 degrees and pop riveting it to the rotted floor and side of a KR.  No wonder they were usually scrapped. Papering over the cracks..   As you know Mr H redoing a nasty bodge up is soul destroying.

Let's have a grand micro banger race.  Lord Cyphus will obviously win.

Which takes me up another tangent.  We all know a Rover P5B and XJ6's are very stronge on the track.

I wonder what the strongest micro would be?  BMW 600 I assume.  Pay your money and watch thrills and spills at NMCR's yearly smashfest! 
-Benvenuto Cellini

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
witness this grotter making nearly £8k

Whilst Scoot estimates have risen, eBay's notorious for elevating sales via unscrupulous means! There was another one that appeared on eBay about a year prior to this example, that vanished mid auction reportedly going for a fraction of the sum.

Swings and roundabouts! ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
That would also be my take on Scoot prices.

Al, 100E lump with an aquaplane head, wouldnt that would be a suitable period set up for your trials car?